News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to get OBi202 to reconnect to network after network outage ends?

Started by xsgbloom, March 13, 2015, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsgbloom

I've got Comcast for my "broadband"; where I live I don't have much choice. Every few days it goes down for a couple minutes and my OBi202's connection is severed. When the network (automatically) comes back up after a couple minutes, my OBi202 remains disconnected until I reboot it.

Is there any way to get the OBi202 to recheck its network connectability every few minutes if it disconnects?

Thanks in advance,
XSG

Mango

xsgbloom

I use it with Anveo for SIP. Anveo sends me alerts whenever my SIP connection goes down and comes back up, but since the OBi sits there thinking it doesn't have a network connection, I can't have it polling for those messages...

Mango

Check the following from within Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> SIP, using the device's internal web interface, or OBi Expert Configuration if you use OBiTALK.

ProxyServer - sip.anveo.com or sip.ca.anveo.com if you're Canadian.

RegistrationPeriod - make sure this is not ridiculously long.  I use 900 (7.5 minutes).

RegisterRetryInterval - the default of 30 is fine for now, but we may increase it later.

X_ProxyServerRedundancy - checked.

Let us know if these settings change the symptoms.  If this does not help, please state if your OBi is connected directly to a modem in bridge mode, or if it is connected via a router.  If so, which one?

xsgbloom

Thanks for your help looking into this.

(Profile C SIP)
ProxyServer: sip.anveo.com
RegistrationPeriod: 60
RegisterRetryInterval: 30
X_ProxyServerRedundancy: Unchecked - now checking and testing

My RegistrationPeriod is notably shorter but per http://www.toao.net/500-mangos-guide-to-configuring-an-obi-ata is the default and ... I don't know if I should be concerned about resource requirements.

In case the above change doesn't remedy this, my OBi is NATted behind a combo WiFi/wired router (a Linksys E2000 running DD-WRT v24-sp2) which is downstream from a Comcast cable router and the rest of Comcast's network. The fact that power cycling the OBi device resolves the issue leads me to the conclusion that this isn't an upstream problem, it's just that the OBi isn't reattempting its connection after the connection fails.

Mango

Since you have DD-WRT, we have some more troubleshooting tools at our disposal.

If my guess was wrong and X_ProxyServerRedundancy does not solve the problem, I suggest you check /proc/net/ip_conntrack to see if a NAT connection is corrupted.

While the problem is happening, navigate to Administration >> Commands.  Run the following commands one at a time, and post the results.  If your public IP address appears, you can mask the last two octets with X to protect your privacy.

nvram show | grep ct_udp_timeout

grep obi.ip.address /proc/net/ip_conntrack

Obviously, replace obi.ip.address with its actual IP address.

That will give us the information we need to adjust your timeouts.  However, I'm optimistic that X_ProxyServerRedundancy will work.  This will cause the OBi to register to sip.ca.anveo.com if a corrupted NAT connection prevents it from reaching sip.anveo.com, and vice-versa.

Keep us posted.

xsgbloom

Okay, I have more information...

When I pull the plug on the network (without power cycling the OBi202), all of my lines appear on OBiTALK as "Service not configured" with my Anveo line showing:
Retrying Register (server=67.212.84.21:5010

Eventually, the Anveo service registers, but my other services are not registering/no longer configured.

After a reboot of the OBi202, the situation remains the same; the OBi seems to have lost the configuration for my family's Google Voice accounts.

I suspect that troubleshooting the networking issue I've had for a long time is now being hampered by a new issue/OBi change in how it's working with Google Voice, so let me sort out voice before retesting. The fact that the connection to Anveo automatically re-established is a distinct positive.

xsgbloom

Coolness. Google Voice is configured and the OBi device reconnected following a brief network drop. Loops like the configuration adjustment did the trick!

It looks like the Google Voice reconfigurations were the result of OBi changes (from ClientLogin to using OAuth) that I must have missed somewhere along the way. Anyway, problem seems to be solved.

Thank you Mango! Sorry we didn't get to delve into my DD-WRT issues!