News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GVoice: can no longer place (Obi100) calls by clicking "Call" in my browser

Started by rhk1, March 18, 2015, 07:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhk1

Sometime since the beginning of the year, I lost the Google Voice feature that allowed me to place calls on my Obi100 from my browser.  It may have occurred early to mid-February, and the other thing that may have occurred around that time was the notice from Google that said we should (generally) switch to Hangouts.  (But which also said Google Voice would continue to work with Obihai devices.)

I've used an Obi100 with Google Voice since about September, 2013, and the feature worked until early to mid-February.

Trying to use that feature since mid-February, I get a drop down box with options to place calls either via Hangouts or my mobile phone.  I suspect there used to be only one option there to place the call via the Obi100 as I had never noticed the drop down box before I ran into this problem.

Note that in the Google Voice settings, there is still the option to forward calls to Google Chat and it is checked.

I haven't switched to Hangouts, and I don't think I want to.  I keep most of my old texts, voicemails, and such and I understand I won't be able to access those any more if I switch to Hangouts.

I have done a fair amount of googling and reading on these forums.  (I did find reference to a program named Google Takeout which, iiuc,  would allow me to download all that stuff and presumably archive it locally.)

I also came across the discussion about the new authentication for google (OAUTH), and I installed that, with some hope that it might address this problem, but it made no difference.

Is this a feature that is just gone if I don't switch to Hangouts?  Or is there a way to restore it while continuing to use Google Voice?

SteveInWA

Hi:

The Google Chat service is obsolete, and at this time, it's mainly being left in place by Google as a way for OBi users to connect their devices to the Google infrastructure.  Google Talk or Chat-based services on Google's own platforms have been, or are being removed.  Chat was permanently removed off of the "call with" drop-down list in Google Voice in early February, after Google Talk was also shut down.  It would be up to Obihai to develop and maintain a similar type of computer/telephony integration, using WebRTC, in the future.  Of course, you can always simply dial the number on your phone's keypad or use the phone's own address book.

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/NrdW6JS1I_o/discussion

rhk1

Thanks very much!

Asides:
   * I wish I had seen the note you referred to earlier--or that it had been in the email notifying us of the change (at least, I think it was an email, and the note may have been there but I just didn't read carefully enough)
   * I guess I'll think more about switching to Hangouts, I presume the call with Obi feature is there, and I suspect that more and more features will disappear from Chat over time...

You (SteveInWA) seem to do an amazing job of answering questions both here and on the Google forums (under a different name, iirc--blue something, iirc)--I hope you don't burn yourself out.

Thanks again!

azrobert

You can use a softphone on a computer to send/receive calls to/from your OBi.

This setup assumes GV is defined on SP1 and a SIP provider is defined on SP2.
If SP2 is undefined, create a dummy definition like this:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName: anything
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: B

OBi110
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{OBi110>(Msp1):sp1,{ph}

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute:
ph,sp2(anything@192.168.1.100:5060)
Change 192.168.1.100 to the IP address of the computer running Phonerlite.
5060 is the Port number for Phonerlite

Download and install Phonerlite:
http://www.phoner.de/PhonerLiteSetup.exe
When you start Phonerlite I think a wizard will popup because no accounts are defined.
Proxy: 192.168.1.110:5061       (The IP address and Port of SP2 on the OBi110)
Click right arrow.
User Name: OBi110
Click right arrow.
Change Profile Name: OBi110
Click check mark
Uncheck box next to Register
Save

To change the default port (5060) click Network tab
Change Local Port and click Save

Dial a number and click the green phone symbol.
Click red phone symbol to hang up.

Edit:
If you want to initiate a call from a computer and have GV do a callback to the OBI, the above configuration doesn't apply.
The above will make and receive calls from a computer.

rhk1

Thanks very much!  (Including all the details of setting up a fake SIP account on SP2!)

Unfortunately, that appears to be (as near as I can tell with my high school German from many years ago), Windows only, and I use Linux.

But, it gives me hope that there could be something similar for Linux.

azrobert

The Zoiper softphone has a Linux version.
http://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphone/download/zoiper3

For an OBi100 the softphone must be setup for No Registration.
The Windows version has this option.

You can do the same setup for your smartphone.
I use CSipSimple for Android.
Zoiper has an Android and iPhone version.

I didn't say this before, but the setup is for a computer on the same LAN as the OBi.
It will work from a remote location with addition configuration changes.

rhk1

Thanks again!

So, the primary thing I need is a softphone and it sounds like Zoiper will probably fit the bill (I do have an Obi100, so I'm not sure if I'll have a problem with the "No registration" part).

One question comes to mind--if I use a softphone like this, will (ok, two questions):
   * Will Google Voice still handle and transcribe voicemail messages (and send notification to my gmail account)?
   * I guess there should be no problem with texts, as I would expect they are still handled (and archived) by Google Voice?

I probably won't work on this for a week or two, maybe not until tax season is over, but I expect I'll be posting more questions then ;-)

azrobert

This setup doesn't affect anything with GV. The call is sent directly to the OBi100 and then the call is routed to GV.

SteveInWA

Quote from: rhk1 on March 20, 2015, 06:04:17 AM
   * I guess I'll think more about switching to Hangouts, I presume the call with Obi feature is there, and I suspect that more and more features will disappear from Chat over time...

Just to make sure there isn't any misunderstanding of what I meant, at this time, there is no Hangouts-based replacement function for Chat, that would enable the ability to click something on a webpage and have it bridge the call via your OBi device.  As of now, you can only bridge calls with an actual forwarding telephone number.  I have no inside scoop on whether or not that feature will be added by either Obihai or Google, in the future.  It would probably be up to Obihai to develop the software to do that via WebRTC.

You could get a separate inbound telephone number from a SIP VoIP provider, such as one of Callcentric's free DIDs, and set it up as a SP on your OBi, and assign it as a forwarding number on your GV account, and then use that number as a target for the red and white CALL button on GV.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback!  Yah, you'd think having over 20,000 posts between the GV and Hangouts forums would lead to burn out.  I do it because I enjoy helping people solve problems...  It's "mental floss" for me.

rhk1

Ok, thanks!

So, I won't think so much about Hangouts, but will consider the other approach you mention.  (Or just read the phone numbers from GV and punch them into the phone attached to the Obi ;-)

You're welcome on the feedback--flossing is healthy!

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 20, 2015, 04:59:08 PM
I do it because I enjoy helping people solve problems...  It's "mental floss" for me.
Cool!
Hope you never throw in the towel like I've noticed other knowledgeable contributors do on other forums over a period time.
Curious things these forums.  ;D