News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV: outbound works fine, inbound no ring

Started by erkme73, March 18, 2015, 07:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erkme73

This has happened before.  I hadn't logged into the GV or Obi website in weeks, when suddenly only my cell rings with incoming calls to my GV number.   I verified on the OBi dashboard that the box is connected - and I can make outgoing calls just fine.

I power cycled the OBi box, but it makes no difference.  In GV, the "google chat" forward is checked.  I uncheck and recheck it - no difference.

Ultimately what fixes it every time is deleting GV as my SP, and choosing GV as a SP again.  Then it works like it should.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening.  This is the third time in as many months - and there's no indication that my home phones won't ring unless I happen to have signal on my cell - and find it's the only phone ringing.

SteveInWA

You didn't mention if you have a OBi 1xx or 2xx series device.  The 1xx devices, by default, can't handle some other Chat client being configured to the same account.  If you have a 1xx device, and you've also got another OBi or some Chat-based soft client running then that's your problem.  If this is a 2xx device, then this isn't typical behavior, and I haven't ever experienced it.   As long as Chat is on your GV account, and it's check-marked, it should just work.

I suspect you've got some unrelated networking issue going on with your home network setup, or with your obi configuration.  If you want to troubleshoot this, I suggest starting from a factory-reset, plain vanilla OBi condition, with the very latest firmware update applied.  Then, only add GV as your SP, and don't fiddle with any other settings.  Leave it alone for long enough to satisfy you that it works consistently, before making any changes.

erkme73

Yes, sorry.  I have two 110s.  They're both bone stock (+ normal OBi updates).  Simply added a GV account to each one (mine and my wife's).  There is no more than one OBi box (of any kind) logged into a given GV account. 

I'm thinking you're right about it being a gremlin in the network - though it is odd that it really only seems to happen with one box at a time.  That is, of the three times it happened, once was on my wife's 110, and the other two were on mine.   They never happen at the same time.

I was just hoping it was a flux-capacitor I forgot to rub the right way, but if it's really just a glitch every now and then, I can live with it.  The monthly service price is just right.

SteveInWA

Oh shoot, I thought you already knew that you do need to rub your flux capacitor first.