News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi & Network & Homegroup - RESOLVED

Started by Dravial, March 21, 2015, 12:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dravial

FYI:
OBi 202, upgraded firmware, windows 7 Pro and Ultimate on all connected computers using an Actiontec Router, which is utilizing both wireless and wired connections.
The Problem:
After fixing various problems with GV via using an @gmail.com account, everything was working fine, although to 'slip' the OBi into my environment as simply as possible, as my router had all 4 of its 4 wired ports filled, I utilized OBi's ability to be a pass through, I connected OBi to router via INTERNET port, and the desktop that was holding that port in the router I then plugged into the back of OBi's LAN port. This worked, after I got OBi all setup and had everything appearing to function properly, I went to the desktop to make sure it's network access was intact.
Well, it was half intact, I had internet access, and could open a browser and surf the web, but I could not see any of the other networked computers or access anything in my 'homegroup'. I attempted self repairs etc, and I even tried renaming the network connection (which had renamed itself to a default 'Network 3' inside network and sharing center) back to my original network name (I know this used to cause issues in XP...). Nothing worked. I tried rebooting the computer, because as we all know, half the time this allows the computer to make it's own adjustments...
After rebooting, the computer now has no network connection at all, and I can not even open the browser to a webpage or access anything on the network. The light for the LAN (middle light on OBi 202) on the front is now off, where it had been on and green before I rebooted the computer. The computer keeps bouncing between 'Identifying' and 'Not connected'...
OK, this was interesting, while I was typing this to you, I noticed the LAN light on OBi went green again, I noticed the afflicted computer had gone to sleep. I went and woke the computer up, and the LAN light on the OBi shut off again...
Does anyone know wth is going on, and if OBi will allow the use of homegroups, or I will have to settle for internet only if I port out from behind it?

Thanks in advance.

N7AS

It sounds like the the OBi202 put your computer on a different subnet. The best way if all your ports are used on your router is to purchase an 8 port switch. Connect the switch to one of your router ports and you will have 7 extra ports for your OBi202 and other devices. Then you can set your OBi202 to bridge mode. This is the way I set up my networks and works very well.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

The Obi202 can be configured in either router mode or bridge mode.  For your needs you want it in bridge mode. http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543014

In bridge mode it functions as a 3 port ethernet switch.  One port is internal and is used by the VoIP telephony gubbins.  One external port connects to your router.  The other external port can be used to replace the port on the router that the OBi has occupied.

In router mode the OBi introduces a NAT between your main router (and all devices plugged in to it) and the device plugged in to the OBi.  That NAT (with a different IP subnet) is why you cannot communicate between that latter device and the others.

Dravial

DrGeoff, that sounds like exactly what I need, if I can just figure out how to turn that option on... I will start looking about...

From your link: "The OBi can also be set to work as a 3-port switch (a.k.a. Bridge mode), by changing its OperationMode parameter from Router to Bridge." I cannot however find this setting to make the change, do you perhaps know where to find it?

N7AS

Go to Router Configuration > LAN Settings > OperationMode
and set to Bridge in the Drop Down.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Dravial

I have a feeling I am not starting in the right place, so allow me to explain what I am doing:
1) www.obitalk.com
2) log in, go to device home
3) Click on my device, then click on OBi Expert Configuration at the bottom
4) Select Yes, I want to go into Expert Configuration
5) Click on Enter OBi Expert
6) Click on Router Configuration on the left, options for WAN Settings and QoS Settings appear, nothing for LAN Setting...

N7AS

I configure my OBi202 locally and not through the OBiTalk Dashboard. I guess they don't include the LAN Settings when you use their portal. Interesting.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Dravial

So how do I connect locally? I am trying to enter the internal ip address, which for me happens to be 192.168.1.13, but I get no url found. I am using google chrome...

Also at the link above, down the page a bit: "Access the OBi Device Management Web Page:

1.       From a phone attached to the OBi, dial * * * to access the OBi Config Attendant.
2.       Choose “1” to hear the IP Address of the OBi read back to you. Write this down.
3.       Enter the OBi IP Address in a local PC web browser address field:
4.       When prompted, enter “admin” for user name and “admin” for password."

I do steps 1 & 2 and get the same ip as in the web based dashboard and as reported by my router device list, but when I enter the ip in a browser I get 'The requested URL was not found!'

I have tried it from other computers from my network and with different browsers with the same result...

N7AS

To verify your IP address dial ***1 and listen for your network status. Write down the IP address and enter it in the address bar of Chrome.

If you want to configure OBi202 locally, you must disable Auto Provisioning.
Remember if you do this you won't be able to configure using the OBiTalk portal. It's either one or the other. When you disable Auto Provisioning, you may have to reenter passwords.

Go to System Management > Auto Provisioning >
Auto Firmware Update > Method > Disable
ITSP Provisioning > Method > Disable
OBiTalk Provisioning > Method > Disable

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

drgeoff

1. I don't have a 202 so cannot comment on what settings are available via the Expert mode of the portal.

2. While in router mode you can only access locally from a PC plugged into the OBi's LAN socket. You'll also need the PC to have an address on the same subnet as the OBi either by setting it manually or using DHCP.

N7AS

When I get a new OBi device, the first thing I do is set a Static IP. Every device on my network has a Static Ip. This includes computers and printers too,
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Dravial

To verify:

1) www.obitalk.com
2) log in, go to device home
3) Click on my device, then click on OBi Expert Configuration at the bottom
4) Select Yes, I want to go into Expert Configuration
5) Click on Enter OBi Expert
6) Go to System Management Tab on the left, select Auto provisioning sub section which opens new menus on the right
7) Under Auto Firmware Update section, Find the Method 'value' and change it to disable (it already is this value)
8) Under ITSP Provisioning section, Find the Method 'value' and change it to disable (this value is System Start, and I am unable to change it)
9) Under OBiTalk Provisioning section, Find the Method 'value' and change it to disable (this section is not on my list)

I cannot complete the changes you mention...

Well DrGeoff, since right now that computer will not communicate with OBi for whatever reason, I am stuck. It bounces between identifying and disconnected (cable unplugged). Not to sound ignorant, but this is half retarded... I am wondering if I should do a factory reset on the OBi and start over...
Since while in expert config in the web based portal, I am now trying to see if I can make any changes to any settings, and it seems i can not. I must have inadvertently screwed something up, or the OBi is defective, I think I will try a factory reset and start over...

I think a bourbon is in order first...

N7AS

When in OBi Expert, in order for a change to stick, you have to uncheck both boxes to the right of the value.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Dravial

OK! Well, then now I can complete two of the three changes you mentioned. Again, I can not complete the last as the option/setting for me to do so do not exist.

However I still can not get the computer to communicate on the LAN that is connected to OBi, it drops every three seconds or so, reconnects and drops again, over and over. Also, making two of the three changes you mentioned above is not enough to allow me to connect to the ip of my OBi, and since DrGeoff has also pointed out that while it is in router mode (and stuck therein) I can only connect to it via the computer that is plugged into its LAN port, I am at an impasse. For sake if argument, I even tried connecting a different computer via ethernet LAN port to the OBi, with the same result - so somewhere the LAN of the OBi got royal wankered. I will do a reset, finish my bourbon and report back soon... Thanks for the assistance thus far.

N7AS

The only device that I use the OBi Expert configuration on is my OBi200. I just went into OBi Expert and see that there is no configuration for OBiTalk.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

SteveInWA

The OBi's LAN interface can't be configured as a switch vs. a router via the OBiTALK interface.

Trying to get Windows networking to work across subnets is a hassle. 

LAN ports are like chocolate:  you can never have enough.  You'd be much better off just forgetting about the LAN port on the OBi, and buying a gigabit Ethernet switch.  They're cheap, no configuration is necessary, and you can chain several together, as your home network grows.  Like N7AS said, an 8 port switch would be a good option, or, if you want to save a few dollars, Euros or Pounds, get a 4-port switch.

Your use of the term "royal wankered" makes me think you're in the UK, but for shopping purposes, here are some examples of good, inexpensive switches available in the USA.  I use the metal-boxed Netgear and Trendnet models:

http://www.newegg.com/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30?&cm_sp=Cat_Wired-Wired-Networking_1-VisNav-_-Switches

This one, for example, would be a great choice:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704173

drgeoff

You can use the IVR to set bridge mode from a phone plugged in to the OBi.

Go to http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide and search (usually CTRL-F) for 'Router Related Configuration Options (OBi202 and OBi302 Only)'.  Selection 31.

Dravial

Well, I just did a factory reset on my OBi 202, and now the computer plugged into OBi's LAN has internet access again. It is odd, because windows reports it is joined to the homegroup, but it can not see homegroup locations, and other computers in homegroup can not see it either... Anyway I digress, I will now attempt to change it from router mode to bridge and report back...

Thanks Steve, I already have two port switches set up on my network not to mention I am trying to minimize plug in items as I also have battery backups on essential items (like router and phone) so I can keep phone/internet even if power goes out (having FiOS on battery backup enables this as well) - I already have an ethernet wiring nightmare which I try to keep contained for appearances while maintaining effectiveness, and I have almost twice as many WiFi devices hooked up as well.
As for my wording I go with what suits the situation, and based on what I was dealing with, 'royally wankered' fit 'bueatimusly' (PS: I am a bit anal, and a horrid perfectionist, I want everything to work in the best manner possible, as I see fit... And I will not quit until it does so...)

Kind of wondering why OBi is not set as a bridge as default since I would think this is the way most people would be wanting to use it...

Thank you DrGeoff, I found this section. Wife calling for dinner now, will check this out when I get back, thanks again all for your help.

UPDATE: I have now successfully used IVR interface to set as bridge and logged into the device locally via browser. The computer connected to OBi's LAN port is now seeing all networked homegroup computers, devices and folders. Now I will set the device back up for phone and we will be in business. This is how the device should work. ;)

Phone is set back up and now everything is working perfectly. It would still be my personal opinion these should come out of the box with bridge as default... Also, I notice when I close the browser for options @ 192.168.1.xx when I reopen it, I do not have to log in - therefore I never logged out, is there a secret way to log out? Seems like a mundane security issue...

SCRATCH THAT. Once I got the phone working again, I went back to the computer which is plugged into the LAN port of the OBi, and even though it was connecting to the network prior resetting the device back up via obitalk, after registering the device and activating GV it is not working again... The LAN port light is out again... What gives?

UPDATE Again: I had another bourbon. Then I noticed (via local browser) in Router Configuration / LAN Settings / Router IP Address / The value here (Default) was incorrect, I fixed it to 192.168.1.1 and now everything is fine... but how did that change by setting up GV? I think to answer that I will need more bourbons then I will be consuming this fine evening... Definitely not a Plug and Play Device lol... Thanks for all your help guys... I poured a bourbon for each of ya :D

N7AS

The reasion I think Bridge Mode is not the default is because it can be connected ahead of the router for better QOS.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 21, 2015, 03:43:42 PM
The OBi's LAN interface can't be configured as a switch vs. a router via the OBiTALK interface.

Steve...I haven't used the extra LAN port on my OBi202 yet. Given the trouble that Dravial is having in using that port, what can it easily be used for without any complicated configuration?

For example, I have a Motorola SBG6580. It is both a modem and router combined with four ethernet ports in the back--all being used. One of the ports is used by the OBi202. The LAN port on the 202 is free. Can I easily use it as a fifth ethernet port if I programmed it to go into bridge mode by phone like this:

To put the OBi into bridge mode, on the attached phone dial ***0, 31#, 1,1#,1.

If I could do it easily by programming it via phone...will the auto provisioning of the Obitalk revert it back to router mode?