News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink Now "Supports Direct Integration With Google Voice"

Started by ceg3, March 22, 2015, 07:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on March 23, 2015, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: Vestalink on March 23, 2015, 09:00:14 AM
Hey everyone, the Vestalink ATA is just an ht701 with our logo on it, it's not locked or special in any way.  Vestalink allows you to use any SIP device with Google Voice in the US. Bring your own device to google voice. 

SteveInWA, being an IT expert, has a number of more technical questions for your ATA device but I just have a simple one.

Can the the Vestalink ATA, currently being promoted to work with Google Voice, function exactly like an OBi, where the user does not have to sign up for any VoIP services, obtain a phone number from any other VoIP services like Vestalink, and be connected to Google Voice in the same exact way that an OBi device can, without any other services besides Google Voice?

VL is a ITSP, not a device manufacturer.  It would make no business sense for them to sell an ATA that (like an OBi) that can work solely on GV, and doesn't use their SIP VoIP telephone service.  They're selling a service plan, along with a ATA, if you wish to use their ATA, instead of an OBi.  So, trying to make a comparison between the OBi and the VL-provided HT-701 is an interesting exercise, but it's not the point of VL's offering.  I believe my previous answer, explaining how VL's service can be used in conjunction with a GV number, is correct, and VL has done a good job explaining how to set it up on their website, complete with screenshots for the beginner.

LTN1

Quote from: Vestalink on March 23, 2015, 12:45:44 PM
I believe if Obihai's provisioning servers went down your OBi would not be able to update its Oauth password to re-register to Google Voice.  This password is updated every hour.  

I was interested in the above unsupported comments by Vestalink so contacted Obihai support directly. While support didn't go into details, their response was as follows:

"The statement on the forum is inaccurate.   Please ignore such statement."

I think the responsible thing to do when making assumptions, is to at least back it up with some reasonable facts--otherwise, it is unfair to any business or person. Just like if someone were to say, "I believe CallCentric is using below par servers..." without any factual basis--the statement is just based on "I believe...." Not prudent. And a business should not be put a position to prove a negative--any business. Say someone declares...I think ABC business is cooking the books. So ABC...if you're not cooking the books...prove it. "Who the hell are you to force me to prove a negative?" would be my answer.

Doc_Glenn

When Google was going to pull the plug on XMPP (May 2014), I went looking for a VOIP service to use with my Obi. Anveo had a ridiculous call plan and rate page - I had to call them to make sense of it. In the end I couldn't figure out if I could get a fixed monthly rate for both in and outbound, so I kept on looking.

Vestalink showed up with a simple rate structure. I bought it and not only has the technical quality always been good, but the support is really excellent. So, unlike many in this thread, I have praise for them. (And yes, I realize this has nothing to do with their new ATA offering).

cluckercreek

Quote from: Doc_Glenn on March 24, 2015, 12:58:00 PM
When Google was going to pull the plug on XMPP (May 2014), I went looking for a VOIP service to use with my Obi. Anveo had a ridiculous call plan and rate page - I had to call them to make sense of it. In the end I couldn't figure out if I could get a fixed monthly rate for both in and outbound, so I kept on looking.

Vestalink showed up with a simple rate structure. I bought it and not only has the technical quality always been good, but the support is really excellent. So, unlike many in this thread, I have praise for them. (And yes, I realize this has nothing to do with their new ATA offering).

Ditto!