News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110; problems with incoming calls & delayed dial tone ??

Started by vtsnaab, March 26, 2015, 12:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

My Obi110 is not new and has always worked well...until the last week or so.

I did not post about it until now just in case it was just temporary - but that does not seem to be the case after weeks of this odd stuff.

Odd Thing #1:
When folks call my SP1 number it rings here ONE time - no caller ID comes through, and that's all.
This happens even if I answer the ring instantly.
There is no 'missed call' notification at all.
The caller then gets a recording telling them (in a woman's voice) something about the subscriber not being registered and to maybe try their call later.
When they redial my number it then usually comes through to my phone normally on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Odd Thing #2:
I have a cordless phone connected to my Obi110 - this has not been changed.
For a while now whenever I go to make a call the dial tone takes 5-10 seconds to come on.

I will greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions to rectify either or both of these Odd Things.

Thank you.

vtsnaab

Wow - this was posted 5 days ago & not a soul has any clues for me a'tall ?!?

BooHooHoo.

Help - anybody - please ?!?!

Thanks.

dircom

First rule of asking for help: Post enough information so someone has a picture of your setup.
You have fallen into the trap of posting as little info as possible  ;)

for example: How many providers are connected to your obi?
What are the names of the providers, and what SP are each one connected to?

<if you tell me you have a copper telephone provider on SP1, then ringing once, is a common problem associated with a ground on your line>

Have you had a lightning strike /power surge / brown out etc etc recently?
stuff like that

In regards to Odd thing #2,
[First rule of trouble shooting, if you suspect hardware problems, swap out equipment for a known good piece of equipment]

Connect a known good working regular telephone,(not a cordless phone preferably)
and see if that makes any difference.

You probably do not have a spare Obi, but you should have a regular telephone to test, or be able to borrow one.

vtsnaab

Thanks for replying Dircom - any reply is better than silence for sure !!:
Quote from: dircom on April 01, 2015, 04:15:35 AM
First rule of asking for help: Post enough information so someone has a picture of your setup.
You have fallen into the trap of posting as little info as possible

I ask 1000 pardons - t'was not my goal - my thought was to avoid being too lengthy as I do get complaints that I say too much every now and again !!

OK:
Quotefor example: How many providers are connected to your obi?
What are the names of the providers, and what SP are each one connected to?
Both SP1 & 2 are GV accounts and other than what I posted, both work fine.

None:
Quote<if you tell me you have a copper telephone provider on SP1, then ringing once, is a common problem associated with a ground on your line>
Haven't had any telco stuff in years thanks to the wonderful Obi !!

Nope:
QuoteHave you had a lightning strike /power surge / brown out etc etc recently?
stuff like that
Scarcely even a spot of bad weather, and we have all-path surge suppression; cable modem is working fine as well as all networked devices and even the phone is carefully surge protected.

Thank you:
QuoteIn regards to Odd thing #2,
[First rule of trouble shooting, if you suspect hardware problems, swap out equipment for a known good piece of equipment]
Connect a known good working regular telephone,(not a cordless phone preferably) and see if that makes any difference.
Did that right away - no change in either thing.

Nope, sure not, sorry:
QuoteYou probably do not have a spare Obi, but you should have a regular telephone to test, or be able to borrow one.

The delayed dial tone is just puzzling as it does not seem to affect outgoing calls - but the 1 ring with lost call thing is bad - and t'was my hope that maybe someone else had similar happen to them and would recognize that and reply - but I guess not...?

If anyone wants to hear what it does when it malfunctions, you could PM me for my number and just call me; it'll likely take 3 tries to get through - it usually fails for 2 tries 1st.

Thanks.

vtsnaab

My posting was NOT an April Fools joke - but maybe the problems I described...were ?!?
They seem to have cleared up all on their own within the last couple of days.

I am a bit surprised that no helpful suggestions for fixing them came here - but maybe t'was only stuff that nobody knows nuffin about - and anyways, it is gone for now.

Certainly my faith in the Obi and its usefulness remains unscathed by these minor problems.

dircom

you say you have an Obi 110
Did you ever connect it to a traditional land line?
Is your house wiring connected to the Obi?

what happens when you only plug a regular telephone into the Obi telephone connection?
do you still have the problem. (with no house wiring connected to the obi)
Does that regular phone you plugged in work fine at a friends house?

are you forwarding your calls or having the calls ring at more than one #?

Does the problem only exist with one incoming caller?
Does the problem happen with obi to obi calls
just when someone calls your GV #
or on any kind of incoming call?

Does the problem happen only with callers from a particular company (IE, Brighhouse customers?)

202Owner

vtsnaab

Hello Dircom and thanks for replying.

Yes, I have an Obi 110.

It has never been connected to any POTS line.

The house wiring is not in use or connected to the Obi at all.

Plugging a different/regular telephone into the Obi still had the same problem.

All our calls here at the house come in via GV & the Obi.

SP2 is set up for a 2nd GV number - but not to ring, and it is used for outgoing.
That 2nd number is also forwarded to an IPKall # then to CC for SIP, then to an Android phone as its incoming number.

The problem -was- with ALL incoming callers and AFAIK, nobody else with an obi calls here a'tall;
The delayed dial tone was quite constant for part of a week and is now normal again.

Aside of the above info - everything is back to working fine now as I indicated above.

My best reply to this suggestion is...:
Quote from: 202Owner on April 08, 2015, 11:04:13 AM
Maybe your OBi or its power supply is dying.
Since it is fine again, that seems unlikely right now - but if it does go bad I'll happily buy another to replace it with.
After years of dependable service it seems most intelligent to use what works best.

Thanks.