News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV not working SP1 - Google Voice - Backing Off (0s): TCP connection to 125.206.194.1

Started by vinkress, March 27, 2015, 10:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinkress

I can't get Google Voice to work on my OBi202 when it is behind my firewall.

I recently changed from a consumer-grade Netgear wireless router running Gargoyle to a IPFIRE and then to a more sophisticated firewall package from Sophos, the UTM. I like the Sophos UTM as it is a fully featured commercial-grade firewall.  I have strong reasons to utilize Sophos as opposed to the community developed alternatives like DD-WRT and the like.  Plus it is free.

So, to explain the issue:

I implemented the UTM last weekend.  Prior to deployment, the OBi202 sat behind IPFIRE and was quite happy.  I could make and receive calls without issue.  Once the change in firewalls was complete, I observed that the OBiHai / Google Voice solution was inoperative.  Not having the time to address it during that change window (the household can get crazy when the internet is unavailable), I left it for later.

Picking the issue up on Tuesday, I found what appeared to be a port forward / closed ports problem  After researching the issue on the web, I found the ports which needed to be opened for outbound destinations and which was needed for inbound port 10000 UDP traffic for the OBi202.  None of these changes has resulted in a successful restoration of service.

During troubleshooting, I found the OBi202 was running an older firmware and that an upgrade was required.  It was not possible to execute the upgrade from the admin webpage directly.  I downloaded the file and pointed the OBi202 to the target and the upgrade was successful.  It didn't resolve anything other than removing the alert on OBiTalk for the OBi202.  So OBi202 is on latest available firmware.

I tried clicking the gear on the OBiTalk page and was not able to successfully connect to and provision Google Voice.  I reviewed my firewall logs and found every port / port range and IP target the Obi202 was communicating or attempting to communicate to.  I made sure that none of those ports were dropped. 

I logged into OBiTalk and deleted the configuration and performed a factory reset.  I did the **5-#### exercise several times.  OBiTalk was never able to establish a connection with my OBi202.  I then unplugged the firewall, connected the OBi202 directly to the internet connection and executed the provisioning successfully.

I tested inbound and outbound calling several times.  All good.  I then unplugged OBi202 and restored my firewall connection to the internet and put the OBi202 behind it.  I power cycled the OBi202 and watched OBiTalk.  OBi202 connected but saw the backing off error.  I found root cause and implemented the workaround, setting 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS in the OBi202 web management interface.  I also set 8.8.4.4 and told Obi to ignore the Sophos DHCP assigned DNS in the search order. All traffic originating from the OBi202 is green /  successful including DNS connections to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I also reviewed the the SP1 Service details under Voice Service on the OBi202 admin page.  No value appeared for SIP Credentials AuthPassword though my Google Account (which has a gmail.com domain) was configured in AuthUserName.  I added it there by unchecking the checkbox to enable the test box.  Saved, rebooted, no change.

Reviewing the port settings for the SP1 service, I saw mention of port 5080 though all I have read never made mention of it and I never saw any packets for that target failing or succeeding.  I added to my open port list anyway.  No change.

I have seen OBiTalk Expert Configuration and reviewed it too.  There are differences observed on the web version versus the device based version.  Specifically, the AuthUserName shows a red bang (!) and AuthPassword is not filled in.  X_UserAgentPort (value set to 5080 and open in the firewall) and X_InboundCallRoute (value set to {ph1,ph2} ) also have red bangs (!).

At this point I am completely stumped.  It appears the Obi202 is connected to ObiTalk (green dot) connected but the current and apparently unchanging status on the OBi Dashboard is status green, SP1 setup for Google Voice and status

"Backing Off (0s): TCP connection to 125.206.194.1"

Oddly, my firewall has never logged outbound connection attempts to the IP.   Whois shows it is in Japan.

I believe I have attempted every possible remedy.  I dumped the firewall config and recreated all the ports and DNAT for inbound 10000.  I factory reset and again directly connected to internet and re-added to OBiTalk.  I have read more forum posts and tries so anythings that I can't remember them all.  There is minimal mention about an OBiBox and Sophos UTM configuration on these forums and on the Sophos forums. 

After spending what seems to be at least 20 hours on this issue I am completely stumped and need help.

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

• Google Voice isn't a SIP client, and the SIP settings on your OBi for the GV SP slot are irrelevant.
  • You cannot configure Google Voice credentials on the OBi's local web interface.  Ignore the legacy user ID and password fields, and don't try to modify them.  Google Voice now uses OAUTH 2.0 authentication tokens instead.
  • See this page for the ports you need to open:  https://support.google.com/a/answer/1279090?hl=en
  • Given the changes you attempted on your OBi, I recommend that you start over, completely from scratch.  Remove your OBi from the OBiTALK dashboard, factory reset it, and add it back again using the **5 method.  Then, follow my instructions, here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

vinkress

I will and will advise.  I'm in and out today so I'm doubtful I will visit this again before this afternoon or evening.

Thanks for your reply.

vinkress

The manually entered password was the problem.  Removed and issue appears resolved at this time.  Will monitor and advise.

Love my OBi202!  I really do get free calling because my employer reimburses my internet fee.

Thanks for the help!