News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forward to Google Voice voicemail before 25 seconds default

Started by markruz, March 30, 2015, 01:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markruz

Is there a way to forward back to Google Voice's voicemail before the default Google has set at 25 seconds? I'm aiming for a 15 second delay before going to voicemail.

Thanks!

SteveInWA

No, the GV inbound ring interval is fixed at approximately 25 seconds, and it cannot be changed.

You would have to obtain an inbound telephone number that supports conditional call forwarding (AKA "no-answer/busy transfer"), and program that number to forward back to your GV number, and set that number's ring interval to 15 seconds, for example.

markruz

Is it possible to get a CC DID then:

Incoming: GV -> CC -> Obihai SP1 ... 3 rings then call forward to SP2 GV with caller'd caller id
Outgoing: Obihai SP2 GV

This way the Obihai will be forwarding through CC and not loopback to GV which should let it go straight to voicemail rather than the IVR as far as I understand.

Forwarding from CC's server is charged at an outbound rate so if it can forward through the Obihai as inbound only that works for me.

SteveInWA

Quote from: markruz on April 07, 2015, 12:47:29 PM
Is it possible to get a CC DID then:

Incoming: GV -> CC -> Obihai SP1 ... 3 rings then call forward to SP2 GV with caller'd caller id
Outgoing: Obihai SP2 GV

This way the Obihai will be forwarding through CC and not loopback to GV which should let it go straight to voicemail rather than the IVR as far as I understand.

Forwarding from CC's server is charged at an outbound rate so if it can forward through the Obihai as inbound only that works for me.

That doesn't make any sense.  What are you really trying to accomplish, and why?

markruz

Initially, I couldn't forward from the obihai back to GV and had to let GV send the call to voicemail after 25 seconds.

However, I was wondering if it's plausible to get a Callcentric DID and have GV forward to it then register CC on Obihai SP2 then route calls from it to GV SP1 after 3 rings which would go straight to voicemail.

Call forwarding directly from CC to GV through Call Treatments registers it as an outbound call whereas through Obihai will essentially be CC SIP to GV (SIP?) through Obihai.

I may be misunderstanding how call forwarding works though.

SteveInWA

No, that won't work.

I think you are misunderstanding how GV works.

Ignoring OBi devices for the moment...  When you set up a Google Voice account, and you obtain your own inbound GV phone number, you add one or more forwarding telephone numbers.  By default (with no changes to settings), when an inbound call is made to your GV phone number, GV will ring all forwarding phone numbers for about 25 seconds.  Whichever forwarding number answers first "wins the race".  Either a human (you), or the voicemail system of one of your forwarding phones, is answering that call.  There are two ways to alter this behavior:

If a forwarding phone's service provider supports Conditional Call Forwarding (also known as no-answer/busy transfer), then you would activate that feature, and have the carrier send unanswered or busy calls back to your GV number, where GV would take the VM message.

The "big four" mobile carriers (AT&T Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon) typically support CCF.  Many service providers don't support CCF (most land lines and most mobile carrier low-cost subsidiaries or MVNOs).

So, in these cases, the problem is that the phone number(s) that don't have CCF enabled will grab the forwarded call to their own VM, instead of letting it go back to GV VM at the 25-second mark.

To prevent this, you can turn on GV's Call screening function.  When this is enabled, GV requires that whoever or whatever answers the call press "1" to accept the call.  Since your forwarding phone's VM system isn't human, it can't do that, and GV will take the call back to GV VM.

Phew.  Now:  OBi devices configured to use GV are actually using Google's old "Chat" system, and are simply treated as yet another forwarding destination, with the same call-handling behavior I described above.  If the call is busy or unanswered, GV will take the message.  No, you can't change the time interval for this.

Enable Call screening here:  https://www.google.com/voice#callsettings

azrobert

I got this to work, but with a problem.
I don't hear the prompt from Callcentric VM service.

This is what I did.
In Callcentric routed extn 101 calls to VM.

Changed the X_InboundCallRoute for the GV SPx Service to:
ph,sp2(17771234567101@in.callcentric.com;d=15)

The d=15 is a 15 second delay.
Inbound GV calls will ring the phone port for 15 seconds and then will be routed to Callcentic.
Everything works except for the audio problem.

Removing the delay fixes the audio problem.
I don't understand why the delay is causing problems.
I'm port forwarding the user agent and RTP ports on SP2.
Anybody have any ideas?

SteveInWA

That's not what the OP is trying to do.  He's trying to loop the calls from GV to CC and then back to (another or same?) GV account and finally to GV VM.  Not using CC VM.

azrobert

Assuming GV#1 is defined on SP1.
Changed the X_InboundCallRoute for the GV#1 SP1 Service to:
ph,sp1(GV2_NUM;d=15)

Inbound GV calls will ring the phone port for 15 seconds and then will be routed to GV#2.

I got this to work.
I think you just have to add GV#1 as a contact in GV#2 and route it immediately to VM

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on April 07, 2015, 05:43:52 PM
Assuming GV#1 is defined on SP1.
Changed the X_InboundCallRoute for the GV#1 SP1 Service to:
ph,sp1(GV2_NUM;d=15)

Inbound GV calls will ring the phone port for 15 seconds and then will be routed to GV#2.

I got this to work.
I think you just have to add GV#1 as a contact in GV#2 and route it immediately to VM

OP:  Is there a way to forward back to Google Voice's voicemail before the default Google has set at 25 seconds? I'm aiming for a 15 second delay before going to voicemail.

No.  You're sending the call from one GV account to another one.  That doesn't put the voicemail message where it belongs, in the account of the number that received the call.

Just follow my instructions to use call screening, and don't worry about the 10 seconds.