News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice and Obi 2nd time around

Started by KeithCoward, March 31, 2015, 05:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithCoward

Before Googlevoice stopped supporting Obi, or Obi stopped supporting Googlevoice, I was onboard using an Obi110. 

Once I was convinced my home phone via GV and Obi was going away, I ported the number over to my local cable company, Time Warner, and used their phone service for a year.  Now that is about to expire, and I see that GV and Obi are available again.

Originally, I used Obi suggestion and ported home number to a Verizon mobile number and then ported that number to GV.

I still have the same home number.  Do I need to start over completely by porting by number to Verizon and then to GV?  And is there any reason that the Obi110 would need to be upgraded?

Thanks for your input.

dircom

If you want to port your home phone # which is currently being provided by a cable provider
and you want to port that same # to GV
then the answer is... GV only ports mobile phone #'s

If you want to use ring.to, you can port your # directly to ring.to
or you could port directly to various voip providers

SteveInWA

Quote from: KeithCoward on March 31, 2015, 05:13:16 AM
I still have the same home number.  Do I need to start over completely by porting by number to Verizon and then to GV?  And is there any reason that the Obi110 would need to be upgraded?

Yes, you could take that same path again.  You'd need to first port the Time Warner Cable land line number to a prepaid mobile carrier.  I don't know why you used Verizon last time, unless you have the ability to port into them without starting a new 2-year agreement.  AT&T GoPhone or T-Mobile prepaid are the two most reliable choices.

KeithCoward

I guess I'm still a little confused.  I'm okay with the porting my number to a mobile service and then to GV if that's what I need to do.  Having already done that with the Obi 110, and having the rug pulled out from under me, I'm just cautious.

And I thought in order to use RingTo, I had to have purchased my Obi 110 since May 2014, and that's not the case.

GV is a nice option, but I'm really just looking for an inexpensive way to use my existing home phone number and if I could use the Obi110 that would be great.  I think I had only been using the Obi110 and GV for less than a year when support was ended last time. 

It's a home phone.  My wife still likes to use it, so I need cheap and easy if that's possible.

Suggestions appreciated?

SteveInWA

I'm confused as to your confusion.   ???

You asked whether or not you could/should port your number back to Google Voice.  The answer was, yes, you can do that.

Use whichever service you want...Google Voice or ring.to.