News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blocking RoboCalls and Phishing Scammers...

Started by JerryH, March 24, 2015, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryH

Lately, I have been in touch with Ring.To about a concern:

We get an abundance of calls from "Unknown" callers. The number will show up on the Caller ID, but the name reads as "Unknown".

These calls are (in our case) 100% scams and phishing attempts. Usually, what happens is...

We will receive a hang-up call from an Unknown caller with an area code from a far away city/state (NY, CA, or Miami, Las Vegas, etc.).

Not long after, we receive a call from a telemarketer or robocall with an In-State area code. (Both calls still read "Unknown".)

I've done some research...it seems the common practice for these Scammers is to have their program call to make sure it is a working number (either by an answer, or answering machine) and then they spoof a number from a local area code from which they make their pitch.

Is there a way to block calls from callers that show their name as "Unknown"?

giqcass

I'm not sure what you want to do is possible. I know CID can be used to filter calls but I think I remember something about the Obi not being able to use CNAM to filter. I could be mistaken about that or my info out of date.

If you don't find a better option then I think you should look over this solution to Robocallers.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8802.0

Long live our new ObiLords!

0biWanKenobi

I also have Ring.to service with my Obi and all my calls (even legit ones) are marked as "Unknown", since Ring.to doesn't support CNAM.  

What I've been doing for telemarketers/scammers is manually blocking the number in my ring.to dashboard.  In the beginning I was getting several calls a day, but after awhile I only have to block one or two numbers a week.

I also made sure that "Restricted" numbers are blocked in my dashboard as well.  Before I switched over to ring.to I had so many "restricted" callers phoning me.  Just look at how many "restricted" callers I had in one day.  The list is longer than the screenshot.

Ostracus

Be nice if one could set a, "ring between the hours of...".

giqcass

Quote from: 0biWanKenobi on April 05, 2015, 09:14:15 AM
Just look at how many "restricted" callers I had in one day.  The list is longer than the screenshot.

All I can say to that is WOW!  :o
Long live our new ObiLords!

dircom

One of the things, I like about VestaLink (besides CNAM), allow anonymous calls (y/n)   :)