News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 reboots during phone calls after firmware upgrade

Started by -DC-, March 31, 2015, 07:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-DC-

I updated the firmware on my OBi110 to 2872 and now when I'm in the middle of a phone call the device likes to reboot itself, which also terminates the call. I've done a reset and that didn't fix the problem. At this point I'd be satisfied with downgrading back to the older (working) firmware but alas, it is nowhere to be found! Help?

SteveInWA

Like I said:  this isn't a firmware issue.  Downgrading won't solve anything.

You haven't provided us with any useful details to diagnose your problem.  What service provider(s) are you using on your OBi (Google Voice, one or more SIP ITSPs, etc.).  Which provider are you using on the calls?  Does it happen on both inbound and outbound calls?  Have you made any customization changes to your OBi?  How did you set it up, via the OBiTALK portal or via the local interface?  What type of network is it plugged into and how?  And, so on...

azrobert

I agree with Steve that this isn't firmware related, but if you want to try click on the link below. It will download build 2824 to your computer. If 2824 isn't the FW you want, change the 2824 in the link to the correct build number. In the past OBihai wouldn't let you downgrade FW. The new OBi2xx FW allows downgrades, but I don't know if the OBi1xx will also allow downgrades.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw

-DC-

Not a firmware issue yet it was working perfectly for years until I updated the firmware, now this symptom.

What service provider(s) are you using on your OBi (Google Voice, one or more SIP ITSPs, etc.).

PhonePower.

Which provider are you using on the calls?

PhonePower.

Does it happen on both inbound and outbound calls?

Inbound for sure, outbound unknown.

Have you made any customization changes to your OBi?

No.

How did you set it up, via the OBiTALK portal or via the local interface?

Portal.

What type of network is it plugged into and how?

Private network to router running DD-WRT. The network configuration appears to be (and should be) fine.

fjcarden

Hi,

Your post is similar to mine: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9700.0 ; I notice similarities:

You use Phonepower, same as I do
Same device: Obi110
Same situation: used to work with no issues for years
Same latest firmware.
Custom router firmaware: you use DD-WRT, I have Tomato.

I was looking for suggestions on how to further troubleshoot, but it didn't occur to me to look into the firmware branch of the forum; have you solved your issue ? did you downgrade the firmware?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

I'd suggest calling Phone Power, complain to them, and ask them to look in their logs to see the reason that calls are being disconnected, at the very least.

fjcarden

Thanks, I will do that; I didn't think of it before because the obi110 drops the calls because it reboots by itself in the middle of the call; I ruled out the service, and was thinking more of my local network configuration or some setting, but I will look into the Phonepower seeing that there is another user with similar issue than me.

SteveInWA

I'm pretty sure that Phonepower had this same issue sometime in the past, by the way.

-DC-

Quote from: fjcarden on April 01, 2015, 09:07:33 PM
Thanks, I will do that; I didn't think of it before because the obi110 drops the calls because it reboots by itself in the middle of the call; I ruled out the service, and was thinking more of my local network configuration or some setting, but I will look into the Phonepower seeing that there is another user with similar issue than me.

I also wasn't suspecting it to be a service provider issue since the OBi110 itself is rebooting (power light turns red, everything starts over.) It's also intermittent and does not happen with every call. If you contact PhonePower let us know what you find out. I haven't rolled back the firmware (yet).

-DC-

Quote from: azrobert on March 31, 2015, 09:52:57 PM
The new OBi2xx FW allows downgrades, but I don't know if the OBi1xx will also allow downgrades.

Apparently not, since I got this message when trying to downgrade:
Firmware downgrading is prohibited

I need a solution to this problem that doesn't involve buying new hardware.

fjcarden

Hi,
I did some additional research (wanted to gather all of the facts prior to contact Phonepower), and I found 2 additional suggestions:

Put the Obi110 in the DMZ, to rule out any firewall issues.
Reset Obihai: http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_plans

Bu then I realized that my obi110, in AutoProvisioning:
* Auto Firmware update: system start
* Obitalk Provisioning: periodically

I have changed both to Disabled, and I have not heard any reboot since them; it appears that was the actual issue for me.

In the future (if the issue reappears), I will also keep an eye on this: in a reply to my original post (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9700.0), another user suggests upgrading the stock power supply.

kmvg11

Hi fjcarden,

I was going through the same stress like yours. Regarding the auto provisioning, I also noticed set to periodiclly. But, when I changed them to disabled, the settings are not getting saved. It says reboot required. After I reboot, I still see the same periodiclly setting for both. Should I be doing something different to disable them? Thanks.

SteveInWA

Keep in mind that there are two ways to make changes to an OBi device:  via the OBiTALK portal, or via the device's local web page (e.g. 192.168.x.x).  If you make a change on the local web page, it will be overwritten by the OBiTALK portal, unless you disable that function.

Log into your OBiTALK portal, and go to Expert mode for your device.  Go to the System Management page.

The defaults look like my attached screenshot, and should work fine, not causing any problems.

-DC-

I've reset the device, configured it through the portal, and turned off auto-provisioning but am still seeing periodic reboots.

RFC3261

Quote from: -DC- on April 13, 2015, 05:14:44 PM
I've reset the device, configured it through the portal, and turned off auto-provisioning but am still seeing periodic reboots.
Since this is an older device, I would try replacing the power supply/brick/wart(*).  Especially the "cost optimized" supplies that are supplied with these devices can end up having high ripple as they age (typically, their internal caps go bad), and that can result in "random" stuff happening.  As to why after a firmware upgrade, well, until you test there is no way to even be sure it is the PS, but newer firmware may end up using just a slightly more complex processing cycle that ends up needing just a bit more power, at just the wrong time.  Or the PS may have just decided today is the day to pile on.  Or then again, it may have nothing to do with the PS.

Gary

(*) I do not recall seeing a "buy now" button for a replacement supply, so you may need to contact Obi for information.  If you decide to source locally, or via your favorite online retailer, there are ones that claim to be compatible.

azrobert

I tested a 12v PSU from an old router with my OBi and it worked. I did not test long term.

-DC-

I found an old 12VDC 5A power brick that I've plugged in. We'll see if that fixes the problem. Also noticed that the OEM brick is only rated 600mA yet the OBi110 spec states "1A (max)". That's not good!

-DC-

So much for that idea. It rebooted itself again. Guess I now have a defective unit.

RFC3261

Quote from: -DC- on April 16, 2015, 08:52:28 PM
So much for that idea. It rebooted itself again. Guess I now have a defective unit.
Sorry it did not help, but, I would claim it was worth a shot, to eliminate one possibility (and I have recycled piles of consumer power bricks/warts/adapters that have failed over the years).  The next thing I would do is try to re-flash the same firmware.  While that is unlikely to fix it either, I have seen the rare case where it does due to flash memory issues.  If it still reboots, I would claim you have done your diligence, and it is time to upgrade.

-DC-

Can't re-flash the same firmware: "Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified."