News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV configuration: 'Authentication error'

Started by mdsteve, April 01, 2015, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdsteve

Greetings. Noob needs a little help.

Have OBI200.
Have GV.
Both set up and apparently all good.
Trouble starts when I attempt to link the two.
I go through the steps, all looks good.  Taken to OBi Device Configuration screen where the SP1 status says it's connecting and then:

Backing Off (0s):
Authentication error

I looked for a way to trouble shoot and eventually signed out in frustration.
When I signed in again I got a pop up that says:

Your OBi device (---------) is currently using an old or invalid @Gmail password for its connection to Google (----------).

Please click <OK> to access the Google service settings, then enter and Submit your current Gmail password.

Your OBi device will restart with the correct password and connect to the Google service.

I assume the authentication error results from the same issue but I can't find a way to submit a GV password anywhere.
Can't find anything called 'Google service settings' (see above).
Have deleted SP1 (my GV) and gone through the setup multiple times assuming I was missing an opportunity to enter a password but I'm never asked for one.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and will feel like an idiot once this is resolved but I can't figure it out on my own.
Have only so much hair left to pull out, please help.

thanks - steve

mdsteve

Thank you.

I've read that post before and put off deleting and resetting, assuming there was another fix.

But since I was about ready to do it anyway I followed all the applicable instructions to the letter -- delete device via portal, factory reset device, re-add device via portal, in a separate tab check all GV settings are absolutely correct as indicated in that post, add GV as my SP via the portal.

Unfortunately, identical result achieved.  SP1 Status:

Backing Off (0s):
Authentication error

And if I sign out and back in again I again see the identical pop up:

Your OBi device (---------) is currently using an old or invalid @Gmail password for its connection to Google (----------).

Please click <OK> to access the Google service settings, then enter and Submit your current Gmail password.

Your OBi device will restart with the correct password and connect to the Google service.

lrosenman

mdsteve

HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.0.1 (Build: 4581)

lrosenman

that's the current version.  Hrm.

SteveInWa will probably be by with more ideas.....

SteveInWA

Hmm.  That's suspicious.  I've never seen that error.  Are you signing into your OBiTALK user portal via a Google ID, or are you using a dedicated OBiTALK user name and password?  If the former, I wonder if that is what is causing the conflict.  Are you using a Gmail account to do this, or is this a Google Apps domain account or another email account, like Yahoo Mail?  You should only be using a Gmail account.

If you are using a Gmail account, then read below for further steps.

I know you said you tried starting over already.  But, this sounds like there is still something that didn't get reset.  I would next try to log into the OBiTALK portal, and completely delete your OBi device off of the account.  Then, wait for the OBiTALK system to send the reset command to the device, and you will see it do some LED flashing.  After that stabilizes, then unplug the OBi from power, hold down the recessed hardware reset button on the underside of the box with a paper clip, plug in the power, wait for 10 seconds, release the button, and let the box reset itself.  After that's done, then...

On your web browser, log into Gmail (not GV).  Look at the lower right corner of the page, below the last email note displayed in the list, for the small link "Details".  Click it.  A window should pop up, with a push-button offering to sign out all other sessions.  Click that button.  Then, log out of Gmail.  Clear your browser's cache, history and cookies.  Close and reopen the browser.

Sign into the correct Google Voice account.  Look up at the upper right corner of the page for your avatar.  It will either be a blue generic head and shoulders, or an image you uploaded.  Hover your mouse cursor on it, and look at the user ID that it reveals (like joe@gmail.com).   Is that the correct account that you wish to use?  If not, log out and log back in with the correct account.

Go to this page, and change your password:  https://myaccount.google.com/?pli=1 and write it down!

Also, take this opportunity to set up a backup email account and backup phone number, in case you forget your password.

Now, go back to my instructions that drgeoff linked earlier, and start all over.  Tell us exactly what happens, if anything happens that is not as described in the instructions.

mdsteve

I've been signing into the portal using my OBiTALK username and password, intentionally skipping the Google ID option in the hope that might help.

I don't have a Gmail account, don't want one.  Using my standard Google account (w/ universal username and password for all things Google...supposedly) which is linked to my regular email address (an @comcast.net).  Was confused when the error message mentioned it since I've not yet seen anything anywhere saying Gmail was required or even asking for Gmail related information.

Also, you say to pull the power before pressing the reset button on my OBi.  This confuses me since the instructions that came with the OBi specify to power it on first, then depress the button while watching for the power LED to flash red which is the indication the process is complete and it's time to release the button.  Will gladly follow your instructions instead, though, if it's likely to make a difference.

Back to that Gmail biz.  Are you saying I need a Gmail account to make this work?

SteveInWA

RE:  the reset button:  it doesn't matter; either method accomplishes the same thing; feel free to use the one you mentioned.

RE:  email account:  yes, create a dedicated Gmail account for your GV phone number.  Transfer the number to that account by following this procedure:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

You can set up the new Google Voice account to send notifications to your Comcast email account if you wish, or you can create rules in the Gmail account to forward the notes.

mdsteve

First, thank you.  I appreciate the help (from all 3 of you).

Second, drat!  This will take me a while since I'm busy elsewhere but I'll definitely post up when I've set up the Gmail and then gone painstakingly through all the steps in both of your posts.

Back later.

mdsteve

New question before I start to reconfigure.

Am I also going to need to start over at the OBiTALK Portal with a new account based on this Gmail address?

SteveInWA

Quote from: mdsteve on April 02, 2015, 07:35:38 PM
New question before I start to reconfigure.

Am I also going to need to start over at the OBiTALK Portal with a new account based on this Gmail address?

No, your OBiTALK account can be totally independent.  Mine is, for example, and I have a couple of different Google accounts configured on OBi devices.  During the OBiTALK portal setup of a Google Voice service provider on an OBi device, it will display the Google accounts that you're logged into on your browser, and it will ask you which one you want to use.  The next steps to authenticate your OBi device to the correct Google account will exchange the secure access token used by the OBi device to access the chat service on your Google account.  None of this actually stores your Google password on the device.

mdsteve

Success!

Bit of a pain in the tuchus to set up a separate Google account and yet another email account (that's 3, and counting) when I already had a working GV that just wasn't linked to Gmail.

I try to keep life simple.....never mind, I'll get over it.   ;)

Thank you for the patience and help.

steve