News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 + DIR-655 + SB6120 + Comcast = Is this OK for OBi?

Started by SkOrPn, June 02, 2011, 07:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkOrPn

Hello, OBi noob here. I would like to purchase this OBi110 tonight if I can but after reading and reading all day and night last night I am still on the fence if I should make this small investment. I see that its on sale at Amazon for $49.99, so Id like to pull the trigger immediately, but only if it has already been proven to work with my setup or very similar to mine.

Im in Albuquerque NM on Blast 16/2, with 4 downstream bonded channels and only one upstream channel. I have a "Sipgate One" account and also a "Google Voice" account, gmail, talk chat etc etc. I also have an Android phone the T-Mobile Vibrant but do NOT have an active voice service on it at the present time. I only have a data plan currently on it. Google voice works wonderfully on my Vibrant via wifi and also works great on my computer.

My setup:
Service: Comcast Blast 16/2
Modem: Motorola SB6120, 4 down channels, 1 Up channel
Router: D-Link DIR-655, A4, FW 1.35NA

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/69745252.png

Of course that speedtest result is powerboost influenced but I get that identical result 24/7 no matter what day it is. Speed slightly goes down a wee bit with further test servers of course but latency increases exponentially into tripple digits by the time Im several thousand miles away.

Are there any issues I may encounter with this setup? Has anyone else had problems with D-Link routers, DMZ, QoS etc etc? Ive read that D-Link routers seem to have issues with VoIP services, and so I am wondering if any OBi fans can attest to this rumor? Please help, as my MagicJack service came to an end yesterday and I do not want to pay them the $20 just to continue with their crappy VoIP quality. I am hoping OBi + Google Voice is an upgrade where quality is concerned.

Thank you very much
Rod

EDIT: editing the title with more info for relevant searches and hits.

RonR

In general, you shouldn't have any problems with an OBi110.

Regarding the DIR-655:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

SkOrPn

Hmm, thank you for the quick reply, Im very appreciative of that. Seems promising as mine also has the A2 hardware, but since I do not need to use my sipgate account, and Google does not support SIP just yet, this might still be an ok setup and I can ignore the SIP ALG setting inside my router, if it even has that option? Not sure what the last post meant about not working good with Linksys products, this router worked great with my Linksys router as far as I could tell. Is the OBi manufactured by Linksys/Cisco by chance, is that what he meant? And therefor is not a great combination with my router? Also I have several different older retired Linksys switches, bridges etc. I read somewhere that someone had better luck using an old switch connected to his uplink port on his router and then he connected the OBi110 to his switch and bam it worked perfectly, but not sure about the validity of that story. I am wondering could that alleviate possible conflicts with my router, lol? All these options and combinations to look at.

Love to have this device to play with, but fear what if it dont like my router setup. I cant afford another router at the moment. Thank you for the info...

SkOrPn

Just pulled the trigger, I cant seem to wait to try this thing out. Hope it works without much hassle, lol....

Thank you again.

Shivers

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 02, 2011, 07:00:55 PM
Please help, as my MagicJack service came to an end yesterday and I do not want to pay them the $20 just to continue with their crappy VoIP quality.
Don't throw away your MJ USB dongle. You can still use it with Google Chat:

http://www.magicjacksupport.com/use-expired-mj-for-free-gmail-calls-using-phone-t10391.html

It will show up as "Tigerjet" in your computer's hardware device list.

I followed this set-up and can make outgoing calls on a different Gmail/Chat  account when my wife is on the other phone using our Obi110 and Google Voice. I run it through the PSTN jack on the Obi110. A new toy!
This is my first post on this forum, I've been lurking here for a few months, and I want to thank all the contributors for the incredible amount of info they post.

Shivers

SkOrPn

OMG.... let me just spell that out OH MY GOD, lol

HMM, and an extra hmmmmmmm, I swear my little mj dongle just smiled at me. I can try this like right away, but I would think that this might be something that MJ might fix quickly once they find out. lol

Will try right now. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Did not work, bummer...

Shivers

In your Gmail account choose the "gear" in the upper right hand corner, pick settings, then chat.
From the drop downs for mic and speaker choose Tigerjet USB then go to the bottom of the page and save.
Return to your inbox and use the chat softphone to dial a number and click "call". Pick up the phone and it will connect.

SkOrPn

yup that was it. Ive never seen that Chat tab before, but this worked great and sounded great to. This will get me by until my OBi box comes in but thanks for the little tidbit. This will at least let me walk far away from the computer when talking to someone. Thanks...

Now I have 3-5 days to learn my dir655, lol... Never really used it with anything other than its default settings.

Rod