News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 continuous green and red cycles

Started by kmvg11, April 02, 2015, 11:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmvg11

I have obi110 that I stopped working on Feb 26th 2015. It goes into green and red light rebooting cycle. I have tried upgrading the firmware and also tried power recycle etc from the previous discussion but in vain. I am not cure whatelse to do. It registers fine and when I add anveo on SP1, it has register failed. Then, as I observer the device, it goes into the continous red and green thing. Please help.

Thanks.

drgeoff

I assume you have followed http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/alt including the factory reset step.

If you have one to hand it is always worth trying another PSU. Does not need to be an Obihai one.  12 volts DC,  at least 1 amp,  centre positive and plug that fits. The first three of those specs are usually visible on the PSU.

kmvg11

Hi drgeoff, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did everything you suggested. I had an extra PSU with the same rating and tried with that. The Obi web page clearly tells that the firmware is updated and has the latest versions. The light stays green for couple of minutes. When everything seems to be going well, I try to add either GV or Anveo and both get register failed 401 error. The red light comes up again and the device reboots again. It looks like the device is normal for the fact that when I go to the IP address of OBI110, I can see all the info listed.

Coming to register failed 401, I am able to use the Anveo communicator as well as from the browser for GV. So, I don't know why I see 401 error. I am thoroughly lost.

Any help is appreciated.

drgeoff

Your best course of action may be to open a ticket with Obihai support. In the meantime I would suggest removing the device from your Obitalk portal, resetting the device and adding it again (the **5 xxxx) method. Don't add any SPs but make some calls to the Obi echo test number by dialling **9 222 222 222.

At the end of that have there been any occurences of alternating red and green?

kmvg11

Thanks drgeoff. I did what you suggested. The echo test worked fine. Then the red light - green light started again. I didn't add any SPs yet. So, I am not sure what else to do. The device is 16 months old and is out of warranty and therefore I don't know if Obihai cares to do anything from support side. Thanks.

drgeoff

Do the factory reset again but leave the OBi disconnected from your router. Does the red-green alternating eventually start again? 

kmvg11

Hi drgeoff, Yes, I did exactly like what you said. Did a reset. Disconnected the router. The light stays green. Once I connected the obi110 to the router i.e. to internet, the red - green cycling started again. I checked the firmware and  it is latest. I haven't added any SP yet. Still, the reboot keeps happening. If Obihai is listening to this conversation, they need to address this. I don't want to be forced to buy one more Obi110. Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: kmvg11 on April 04, 2015, 09:19:22 PM
Hi drgeoff, Yes, I did exactly like what you said. Did a reset. Disconnected the router. The light stays green. Once I connected the obi110 to the router i.e. to internet, the red - green cycling started again. I checked the firmware and  it is latest. I haven't added any SP yet. Still, the reboot keeps happening. If Obihai is listening to this conversation, they need to address this. I don't want to be forced to buy one more Obi110. Thanks.

Just a guess, but this suggests that you have an issue with your router.  You may have some stale ARP table records or other configuration data in your router that is causing a problem when the OBi tries to get an IP address from the router.  You might also have a bad Ethernet cable that is shorting out or has an intermittent connection.

Your posts imply that this worked at one time (it's 16 months old), and now it stopped working, is that right?  Or, did it never work when attached to this particular router?  Have you changed anything at all on your router recently?

I suggest trying a new/different Ethernet cable between the router and the OBi, and also, power-cycle your router.  If that fails, do you have a friend or family member's router that you can take your OBi over to, and plug it into that router?

drgeoff

A different possibility is that the Obi to router stuff is all good but it is when the ATA and the portal are able to communicate that things go awry.

To distinguish between those try another reset and restart with the Obi connected to the router but the router disconnected from the internet.

kmvg11

Hi drgeoff, I tried that as well. But no luck. Checked the cable with different ones and also with a different router as well. But the red - green recycling continues.

Hi SteveInWA,

Thanks for the reply. The same router worked for more than year and all other devices continue to work connected this router. It stopped working on Feb 26, 2015. I had cleared the ARP table by resetting the modem and configuring from scratch. The device was able to get the IP address as I could go to its site without going through the portal as well.
I have also checked with a different router and a different internet connection and still the red - green recycling goes on.

SteveInWA

In that case, it's time to buy a new one...this time, a 200-series.

drgeoff

I'm not sure what "No success" means.  The test was to see if the red-green returns if the Obi110 is connected to the router but not to the internet after a reset.

If it does not, my next suggestion would be to delete the device from the portal, factory reset it, open a new account on the portal (you need another email address to do that) and register the 110 to that.

If the red-green happens even when the OBi is never allowed to connect to the internet you could try loading the firmware again but using a different PSU.  (Yes, straw-clutching time.)

I still think you have nothing to lose by opening a ticket with Obihai and pointing to this thread.  At worst they ignore you which leaves you no worse off than you are now.  At best they 'magically' manage a fix.  Or they confirm they have encountered this before and it definitely means the hardware is faulty.

Unfortunately none of the 2xx devices has the POTS line interface of the 110.  If you need that it is either another 110 or a 2xx with USB and an ObiLINE unit.

Everton

Do you have a PSTN Line connected to the Line Port of the OBi110 during the testing process?  If yes, disconnect the PSTN as this could be the source of your problem.  It is possible that the OBi110 was hit through either a lightening strike or a voltage surge of some form that came in via the PSTN Line.  At any rate, it might be time to replace the box with another 110 or 200 series.

drgeoff

Quote from: gsmlnx on April 06, 2015, 08:31:58 AM
The alternating red/green light problem is mentioned here http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/alt

It is an incomplete firmware upgrade issue and the Obi is in recovery mode.
The OP evidently knew that before his first posting in this thread that and the second post already contains the link you give.

kmvg11

Thanks drgeoff, Everton and SteveInWA.

I have tried all the options you guys have recommended. No luck.

I could clearly see the firmware and its version and it is updated. When I try to update it from the latest firmware, it says that no changes were made as the firmware is already up to date. So, I fail to understand why the device tries to communicate with Obitalk server to update etc and thereby getting stuck in the red-green cycling mode. I am almost given up and bite the bullet of spending another $60 for Obi200. It is sad that Obihai made devices that last only for a year and a firmware upgrade caused this bricking of my Obi110. Obihai should take full responsibility for this. Now, they are indirectly forcing me to buy another device. When so many people have been struggling with this issue, why can't they do something about?

Thanks to you all.

Mango

Have you tried:

Disconnect from the internet
Reboot device
From within System Management >> Auto Provisioning, set every Method to Disabled.
From within Voice Services >> OBiTALK Service, remove the check in Enable.
Reboot again and reconnect to the internet.  Does the problem still occur?

azrobert

You can also try a firmware downgrade.
Click here to download 2824 to your computer:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw

Log directly into the OBi110 using the local interface.
Go to System Management/Device Update
Then do a FW Update.

In the past OBiHai didn't allow downgrades.
The new OBi2xx firmware allows downgrades.
I don't know if the OBi1xx will.

kmvg11

Hi azrobert, From what I have read so far, Obi110 doesn't allow downgrades. Obi2X allows downgrades. I think it is Obihai's deliberate design not to allow downgrade so that people are forced to buy Obi2x device. They must be reading all these posts and keeping mum about the entire thing. Without our fault, the device failed because Obihai forced an upgrade on us. The device lasted 16 months for me. That's it.

Thanks for your reply, though.