News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call waiting on incoming calls when calling out

Started by VOIP_JoeSummy, April 07, 2015, 10:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIP_JoeSummy

Hi, I have a basic question about how call waiting works in OBI110.

I have SP1 set up to GV. SP2 to voip.ms. LINE to local Bell Canada PSTN. I have several phones in different room ( let's say telephone set 1, 2, 3 ) connected to the PHONE port via in-house wiring.

If I use telephone 1 to make an outgoing call via SP1, then during this call, there is an income call to SP1, or SP2, or LINE, what will happen?

(1) Nothing will happen on my side. The caller will hear a busy signal, or;

(2) Telephone 2 & 3 will ring, or;

(3) Telephone 2 & 3 will NOT ring. But I will hear a special tone in Telephone 1, or what else?

Also, will OBI110's call waiting feature interfere with local Telco's call waiting feature?

dircom

1.  The caller will either hear a busy signal, or if you have call waiting, you will hear a call waiting beep.
2.  never
3.  see answer #1
4.  no

On the 110, you can have an analog local Telco line IN, and you can provision up to two VOIP provider numbers.
You have one analog jack to plug your phones into.

All off your phones are connected to one jack using a pair of conductors (If you have a cordless phone system, then the base station is connected to the Obi).

Therefore, it is going to work similar to when you had just the local telco, If you get another call the other phones will not ring, because the system is in use. If you have calling waiting, you will hear the beep, when a second calls comes in, but only one conversation can be happening at one time.

If you want the ability to use a local telco, and also a voip provider, I suggest you buy an Obi 200.
With these two devices, you can either get a two line phone system, and make and receive two different calls at the same time, or split your house wiring up, and connect some of the wiring to each Obi.  (Assuming your desire is to have a phone ring, when you are already using the phone, and another call comes in)

Like you, I kept my landline at first.  But once I found a Voip provider who offered CNAM, then I ditched my local telco/CATV provided landline.
I have a couple of free incoming Fax to email providers, and if I need to send a fax, I either try fax over VOIP, or a free or paid internet fax provider (by uploading the file)

BigJim_McD

VOIP_JoeSummy,

As dircom answered, if you are talking on SP1, an incoming call on SP1 or SP2 will generate a "Call Waiting" tone.  A call to your PSTN phone number should also generate a "Call Waiting" tone.

The ability to have two active calls at the same time requires a second OBi device and a seperate phone connected to the Phone Port of the second OBi device that is not connected to the OBi110 Phone Port.

I did confirm the above statement making several test calls on my old OBi110 that has a MagicJack {rather than a PSTN} connected to the Line Jack.
BigJimMcD

202Owner

Quote from: VOIP_JoeSummy on April 07, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
Hi, I have a basic question about how call waiting works in OBI110.

Pretty much the same as without it.  The OBi simply routes an inbound call to the one PHONE Port connected to one or more analog phone extensions, all on the same internal 'line'.  An inbound call will ring them all, if their REN total does not exceed ~5.

If call waiting is enabled in the OBi PHONE Port configuration, a second inbound call will alert you by tone of a call waiting.  Use Hook-Flash signaling to pickup the call:

o  Hook-Flash to put the current call on hold
o  Hook-Flash to make a second outbound call for attended call transfer or for 3-way calling
o  Hook-Flash to answer an inbound call waiting
o  Hook-Flash to switch between two inbound calls, or to resume a first call holding that did not o  transfer
o  2nd Hook-Flash to conference 3-way calling
o  3rd Hook-Flash to hang up the second call of 3-way calling

If call waiting is not enabled in the OBi or not supported by the service provider, the caller will get a busy signal.

VOIP_JoeSummy

That's great!

So I cancel local Telco's expensive call-waiting feature, and use OBI110's built-in call-waiting feature instead.

This is the first time I know that the call-waiting feature can also be hardware/device-based, in addition to being Telco's network-based.

If other usual telephone features, like caller ID, can also be hardware-based, that would be great!

202Owner

No, I think if you cancel PSTN call waiting, the caller will get a busy signal at the CO.

CallerID is transmitted and is therefore also dependent on the service provider.

Eventually, your local Telco service will be VoIP, if not already.  Then the only difference will be how much you overpay for it.

dircom

202Owner is correct

Both the device and the service provider have to support a particular feature for it to work.
For example.... your provider sends caller ID...
IF you had an older telephone without a display.. you will not see the caller ID (even though your are paying for the service)

You cancel your call waiting from your telco.... it no longer works
(BTW, if you cancel your phone service from your telco, then no calls to that old number will go through, even though your obi still works, and supports calls from landlines  ;))

azrobert

Quote from: dircom on April 07, 2015, 11:31:06 AM
If you want the ability to use a local telco, and also a voip provider, I suggest you buy an Obi 200.
With these two devices, you can either get a two line phone system, and make and receive two different calls at the same time

You don't need to spend $50 on an OBi200 to get this functionality.
You can use a hacked Basic Talk HT701 ATA.
I bought mine on Amazon for $8.31.
See:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28597028-Unlock-Unlocking-the-BasicTalk-ATA

I had trouble unlocking it, but with OzarkEdge's (A.K.A. 202Owner) guide and a tip from scothscoth I got it working.
See the end of the thread.

Edit:
You can access any trunk on an OBi from the HT701. The only requirement is a trunk on the OBi defined as SIP.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on April 07, 2015, 01:16:21 PM
Quote from: dircom on April 07, 2015, 11:31:06 AM
With these two devices, you can either get a two line phone system, and make and receive two different calls at the same time

You don't need to spend $50 on an OBi200 to get this functionality.
You can use a hacked Basic Talk HT701 ATA.
I bought mine on Amazon for $8.31.
See:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28597028-Unlock-Unlocking-the-BasicTalk-ATA

I had trouble unlocking it, but with OzarkEdge's (A.K.A. 202Owner) guide and a tip from scothscoth I got it working.
See the end of the thread.

Or, you could have better karma and buy a legitimate HT-701.

VOIP_JoeSummy

But I think there is one caveat.

If I am making an outgoing landline call on the LINE ( PSTN ) port, then an incoming call via this LINE port will NOT go through. The caller will hear busy signal, as the Telco's CO is treating this line as busy line. There is nothing OBI110 can do in this situation. Right?

I think that is why LINE port should only be used for 911. All other outgoing calls should go through SP1/2.

dircom

If you have call waiting, then you would get a beep on the incoming call, and could take the other call
Not sure what you are asking
or what you are trying to accomplish