News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID to TV

Started by zoom38, April 11, 2015, 09:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoom38

Is there a way to get the caller id from an obi100 to display on a tv screen?  The wife wants caller id to display while watching tv. 

Thanks
Gary

drgeoff

Not easily.

You would need to do something like the following:

1.  Enable syslogging on the Obi.

2.  Run a syslog server somewhere.

3.  On that "somewhere" examine the log messages to extract the CID of incoming calls.

4.  Intercept the video feed to the TV screen.  Is that internal to the TV or from an external STB?  Is it analogue or HDMI.

5.  Generate video corresponding to the CID.

6.  Mix/superimpose/cut your video to the program video.

or you could substitute items 1 to 3 above with a box that reads the CID off the cable between OBi and phone.

I reckon if you were knowledgeable enough to do all that, you would not have needed to ask the question.  There isn't any off the shelf gear I can point to which would avoid you having to self build at least some of it.

An alternative which may be possible is that some STBs have this functionality built in and just require the cable between your Obi and the phone to be teed into a socket on the STB.  Clearly if you don't use an STB with a phone socket on it this is not an option.  If you do use an STB with a socket you should RTFM to see if it has that feature.

zoom38

You're right, its a bit over my head.  I'm just going to tell the wife "tuff luck".
Thanks for the info.

Gary

SteveInWA

Not every question on this forum needs software or network engineering to solve...

Low-tech solution:

Plug a cordless, multi-handset DECT 6.0 telephone base station into the OBi's phone jack.  Give the wife a handset to keep next to her on the couch/bed/chair.  Read the caller ID on the phone when it rings.  Answer the call or not, as desired.

Ostracus

^^^ Pfft! Next thing you know, you'll have her getting up to change the channels. :D

Johnny

Here is what I did to get caller ID to come up on the TV.

I got an Obi 202 with two phone ports and hooked one into my Directv receiver.  I have the other phone port into a cordless Dect 6.0 phone system with three other handsets scattered around the house.

Now, when the phone rings, I get caller ID info on the TV.  And also on all handsets throughout the house.

I don't know if that would help the OP or not, but it worked for me.

drgeoff

You have one of the STBs I was referring to.

azrobert

dudly

When we had our telephone through Comcast, the caller ID appeared on the TV.  My wife loved it.  Now we just have a talking caller ID with our phone.  Wife is not thrilled, but she accepts it.  Since we have switched to Callcentric with the Telemarketer Block, I actually will answer the phone without looking or listening to the caller id.  The Telemarketer Block illiminates 100% (computer robocalls) of the annoying calls.

Ostracus

A little Googling shows there's a stand-alone box that'll do it.  Unfortunately the connections are RCA. A bit old-timey for most.

NoHomePhone

There was some addons for syslog callerid popups in xbmc or kodi mediacenter but not regular tv that i know of even seen doorbell cams for xbmc with picture in picture popups
VoIP Adapter         : Obi202
VoIP Provider         : CallCentric, FreePhoneLine, GoogleVoice, Voip.ms