News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help: Call Forward weirdness - cannot disable

Started by zoomin, June 03, 2011, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoomin

Hello. First time poster here... Please be gentle if I say something stupid. :)

I have one phone (phone 1) connected via Obi110 to Google Voice (sp1) and land line.

I have another phone (phone 2) connected to land line directly - no Obi.

I've set up call forwarding from my land line to my cell by setting these params in the expert config:

CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable:  check   
CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber: sp1(my cell number)
CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount: 2

So, call forwarding worked fine. Now the problem is that I cannot turn it off. I went back to the expert config and cleared those fields, checking all default checkboxes under ObiTalk Settings. Submitted the changes. Obi has rebooted. Now, trying to call my landline number, but it is STILL forwarding to my cell!

Also, phone 1 (connected via Obi) does not ring when I call my landline, but phone 2 does ring. Moreover, not only Phone 1 doesn't ring, but when I pick it up, I hear a dial tone, and not the actual call that just came in on my land line, while Phone 2 continues ringing.

Am I missing something here or is there a bug?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

RonR

If a call to your landline which is connected to your OBi LINE Port causes the phone connected to the OBi PHONE Port to ring, there's no way a phone connected directly to that same landline can get dialtone while the OBi's phone is ringing.  The incoming call that's causing the OBi PHONE Port to ring must actually be coming in from Google Voice (SP1) instead of the landline.

jimates

Quote from: zoomin on June 03, 2011, 09:34:18 AM
Hello. First time poster here... Please be gentle if I say something stupid. :)

I have one phone (phone 1) connected via Obi110 to Google Voice (sp1) and land line.

I have another phone (phone 2) connected to land line directly - no Obi.

I've set up call forwarding from my land line to my cell by setting these params in the expert config:

CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable:  check   
CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber: sp1(my cell number)
CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount: 2

So, call forwarding worked fine. Now the problem is that I cannot turn it off. I went back to the expert config and cleared those fields, checking all default checkboxes under ObiTalk Settings. Submitted the changes. Obi has rebooted. Now, trying to call my landline number, but it is STILL forwarding to my cell!

Also, phone 1 (connected via Obi) does not ring when I call my landline, but phone 2 does ring. Moreover, not only Phone 1 doesn't ring, but when I pick it up, I hear a dial tone, and not the actual call that just came in on my land line, while Phone 2 continues ringing.

Am I missing something here or is there a bug?

Thanks a lot for all your help!
RonR, re read what he said.
phone 1 connected to obi, land line calls are forwarded. phone 2 connected to landline (ahead of obi).

if the call is still being forwarded phone 1 isn't suppose to ring and you will get a dial tone on it while the other is ringing.

Phone 2 should ring 2 times before the call is forwarded.

how is sp1 yoour cell number?

RonR

Quote from: jimates on June 03, 2011, 10:10:45 AM
RonR, re read what he said.

Oops!  I got them turned around in my head.  Nevermind.

zoomin

if the call is still being forwarded phone 1 isn't suppose to ring and you will get a dial tone on it while the other is ringing.

how is sp1 yoour cell number?

No, sp1 is google voice. sp1(my cell number) is a format that is used in the CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber field to forward landline calls to my cell via sp1 (google voice).

So, how come I cannot turn off call forwarding if I cleared those 3 fields by setting them back to defaults?

jimates

RonR, question.

If you join the phone ports for 2 obi's using a splitter, and connect a phone to it, will the voltage while one is ringing it's phone port hurt the other Obi?

jimates

So, how come I cannot turn off call forwarding if I cleared those 3 fields by setting them back to defaults?

is expert configuration the only management process you have used? No chance you used the web interface and turned off auto provisioning.

zoomin

Quote from: jimates on June 03, 2011, 10:32:21 AM

is expert configuration the only management process you have used? No chance you used the web interface and turned off auto provisioning.

Expert config is what I used to turn on call forwarding. I do not believe I've changed anything via the web interface.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on June 03, 2011, 10:29:43 AM
RonR, question.

If you join the phone ports for 2 obi's using a splitter, and connect a phone to it, will the voltage while one is ringing it's phone port hurt the other Obi?

A phone 'splitter' simply puts the two devices directly in parallel exactly like multiple jacks in your home.

You don't want to connect two OBi PHONE Ports together.  An Obi PHONE Port is acting like a telephone company landline and the ring voltage coming out of it could damage the PHONE Port of the other OBi it's connected to.

And even ignoring the possibility of damage, when you picked up the phone, both OBi's would present dialtone and place the same outgoing call.

There used to be devices that would connect two landlines to one phone, answering machine, etc., but they involve electronics to switch the ringing line only to the phone and allow the caller to select the desired line to make a call out.  Another OBi is probably less expensive.

Moparhemi

[/quote]
checking all default checkboxes under ObiTalk Settings.

I think you need to check "obitalk settings" and uncheck "device default" maybe.

MH

jimates

Quote from: Moparhemi on June 03, 2011, 12:55:23 PM

I think you need to check "obitalk settings" and uncheck "device default" maybe.

MH
Yes, maybe so. In my expert config the Obitalk Settings box is checked.
In the device web portal there is only one option, default, which is checked.

zoomin

Quote from: Moparhemi on June 03, 2011, 12:55:23 PM

MH

That's exactly what I have checked, "obitalk settings". Still forwarding... ???

jimates

if you feel that all else has failed you can reset the obi to factory configuration and set it up from scratch again.

is there any way that the landline itself is forwarding the calls, and not the obi.

zoomin

Quote from: jimates on June 03, 2011, 05:23:37 PM
if you feel that all else has failed you can reset the obi to factory configuration and set it up from scratch again.

is there any way that the landline itself is forwarding the calls, and not the obi.

Nope, no way the landline is forwarding. I would never pay AT&T for that, hehe.

zoomin

Hmm... Shouldn't Phone 1 (connected to Obi) still ring 2 times as well, since this is a conditional forward
CallForwardOnNoAnswer?

If I didn't have Phone 2 connected straight to the landline, I wouldn't hear any ringing at all and wouldn't be able to answer the call before the end of the 2nd ring.

Does it make sense?

jimates

Quote from: zoomin on June 03, 2011, 06:30:32 PM

Hmm... Shouldn't Phone 1 (connected to Obi) still ring 2 times as well, since this is a conditional forward
CallForwardOnNoAnswer?

If I didn't have Phone 2 connected straight to the landline, I wouldn't hear any ringing at all and wouldn't be able to answer the call before the end of the 2nd ring.

Does it make sense?

Yea, your right, the phone connected to the obi should ring twice and the other phone should ring until the call is answered.

zoomin

Quote from: jimates on June 03, 2011, 07:36:07 PM
Quote from: zoomin on June 03, 2011, 06:30:32 PM

CallForwardOnNoAnswer?

Does it make sense?

Yea, your right, the phone connected to the obi should ring twice and the other phone should ring until the call is answered.

Is it a bug then? And inability to turn off call forwarding is another one?

How do I report them to Obi?

RonR

Have you connected to the OBi directly and confirmed that all call forwarding is actually diabled there?

zoomin

Quote from: RonR on June 03, 2011, 10:44:28 PM
Have you connected to the OBi directly and confirmed that all call forwarding is actually diabled there?

OK, got it! I did somehow had unconditional call forward enabled in the Obi admin interface... :-\ I must have enabled it when I was trying to make call forward work in the first place.

Good to know that settings in admin interface may not match the ones in web expert settings page. I probably should have taken a hint from the "expert" in Expert Config and left it alone...  :D

By the way, is it normal for values in these two interfaces not  to match?

Thanks for all your help, guys! I really appreciate it.

RonR

Quote from: zoomin on June 04, 2011, 07:44:58 AM
By the way, is it normal for values in these two interfaces not  to match?

Normaly, if the OBiTALK site and your OBi are not the same, it's due to having Auto Provisioning disabled in your OBi.

If Auto Provisioning is enabled in your OBi, you MUST configure it from the OBiTALK site and NOT directly.

If Auto Provisioning is disabled in your OBi, you MUST configure it directly and NOT from the OBiTALK site.