News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How about providing a way to direct the next outbound call to a specific trunk

Started by restamp, April 17, 2015, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

I am a new user of the OBi200 (but experienced with the PAP2T).  I really like the OBi device, but I wish it had a way to easily let the caller direct a speed dial call to a specific trunk.  Sometimes I'd prefer not to use the default route.  This is not a problem if I am entering the entire number -- I just use the **X prefix.  But I have found no way to let this work if I am using a speed dial, either a speed dial in the OBi itself, or one in my phone.

So, how about this solution:  Allow the **X by itself, i.e., a **X followed by a hangup, to be interpreted as a request to direct the next outbound call from that Phone Port to the specified trunk (SP1, SP2, etc.).  There is already a precedent for this: It is is the way one-time CODEC selection (*4711, *4729) works now.  If the **X code cannot be used because it is itself defined by the OutboundCallRoute Dial Plan, then give us another Star Code that will do the deed.  I suspect a lot of folks would thank you for this option.

azrobert

You can setup an OBi speed dial to route to a specific trunk like this:
sp2(18005551212)

restamp

Well, sure, and that's what I'd do if I always wanted to call 18005551212 on SP2.  But let's say I call a friend on my GV trunk and he tells me he's getting drop-outs which is making the conversation difficult to understand.  So, I tell him I'll call him back on another line.  His number is in a speed dial.  I don't know it off the top of my head.  So, I have to look it up, write it down, and then punch in **2 + his 10 digit phone number.  That's a lot of work.

(Is there any alternative to doing this in this scenario?)

Wouldn't it be nicer if I could simply punch in **2, hang up momentarily (and maybe even a hook flash could be made to work here), and then enter his speed dial?  BTW, that also works if you're using the speed dial in the phone itself, as opposed to the OBi's speed dials, plus it's intuitive.

(No one else has this need?)

azrobert

Awhile ago I was testing Trunk Groups. One method I used to force a failover was to disabled a trunk. You can use this technique to accomplish what you want.

Setup Trunk Group 1
Voice Services -> Gateways an TGs -> TG1 -> TrunkList: sp1,sp2
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> Primary Line: TG1

Dial a number. It will be routed to SP1.

Dial the following sequence to disable SP1
100#
0#

Re-dial the number. It will be routed to SP2.

Dial the following sequence to enable SP1
100#

I had setup 2 handset phonebook entries to do the disable/enable, but it's not working now. You have to include the proper number of pauses. I'll let you screw with it. Even if I get mine to work, it might not work on yours.

azrobert

I have a much better solution.
Define as Star Code like this: *90, Redial SP2, call(**2 $Ldn)

Dial a number.
Hangup
Dial *90
This will dial the Last Dialed Number with a "**2" prefix.

This worked on an OBi200 with FW 4581.
You have an OBi200, so this will work for you.
It did not work on an OBi110 with FW 2824.
The OBi110 used $Ldn as a literal and sent "**2$Ldn" to the outbound call route.
I don't know if this will work with the current OBi1xx FW.

restamp

Quote from: azrobert on April 18, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
I have a much better solution.
Define as Star Code like this: *90, Redial SP2, call(**2 $Ldn)
That's actually quite a decent suggestion, azrobert.  Thank you for the pointer.

Unfortunately, now my Star Code table is completely full.  My understanding is that Codes 32, 33, and 34 (OBiPLUS Day/Night/Auto-Night modes) serve no useful purpose on the OBi200, and thus can be re-assigned to other Star Codes with impugnity.  Is that correct?

azrobert

I never used OBiPlus, but I assume you are correct.
You can delete any unused star code.

FYI you need the space between **2 and $Ldn
If you don't have the space, it treats the whole string as a literal.