News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice problems w/call screening

Started by NewOBI200User, April 19, 2015, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsneeringer

Unchecked.  Same result - a voicemail from CC saying 'Press 1 to take this call."

This seems to always happen if I let it ring more than 5-10 seconds, regardless of whether I hang up, connect, or go to Google VM.

SteveInWA

I can't tell what you are doing wrong, but this is very likely user error.

Please log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile phone or tablet, and then take a screenshot of this entire page:  https://www.google.com/voice/redirection/voice#phones

If you need help learning how to take a screenshot, see these instructions:  http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Obscure (cover up/black out) the first six digits of all phone numbers, leaving the last four digits exposed.  Obscure any email addresses, too.  You can use any basic image or photo editing program, such as MS Paint, to cover up the private fields.

Click the little blue rectangle at the top of this forum editor, or the camera icon at the bottom of the editor, depending on which version of the forum software you are using,  to attach the image.

Thanks.

jsneeringer

Here it is.  Thank you for all your help!

SteveInWA

Thanks for that.

I don't see anything wrong there.

So, to confirm:  call the Callcentric 6339 number from some other number, NOT your Google Voice number, nor from any other Google Voice number.  Does the OBi-attached phone ring, and do you get two-way audio on the phone call when you answer?

I can't spend any more time on this today, but I'll check back tomorrow.

jsneeringer

OK.  Thanks so much!

The only non-Google-Voice line we have is my wife's mobile, but it is attached to her GV.  Is that OK, or do I need to find a friend?

SteveInWA

No.  Call the Callcentric number from some other phone, not your wife's number.  Perform several tests:

Call the CC number.  It should ring on the OBi-attached phone.  Answer it after two rings (don't wait for it to go to voicemail).  Does that simple phone call work, with two-way audio (both parties can hear the other talk)?

If so, call the CC number, again from that same unrelated phone number, but let it go to CC VM.  Use a timer to see how long it rings.  Start counting from the time the calling phone hits "send" or "call", or dials the last digit for a land line.  It should take at least 30 seconds before going to CC VM.  What happens?

If, and only if, this works properly, then call your Google Voice number from that same unrelated phone, not from your wife's phone.  Repeat the two tests (call and answer after it rings twice, and call and wait for it to go voicemail).  The expected behavior is:

• For the human-answered call to the GV number, you should hear the prompt from Kiki to press 1 to accept the call, or press 2 to send it to voicemail.  Sample of Kiki's voice:  http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-voice-of-google-voice.html
  • For the unanswered call, you should be sent to Google Voice's voicemail, and be able to leave a VM message on your Google Voice account.

jsneeringer

Thank you for your reply.  I won't be able to work on this for a while, due to other priorities.

dvpatel

I know this is an older thread. I am tired of the blank calls to see if the number is active so that it can be used as caller ID on spoofed calls and the robocalls.

I turned on Call screening. BUT. Regardless of whether one says their name or not, in 3 or so seconds, the Obi device rings. I checked the 2nd tab of the Google Voice settings and the Call Screening is correctly enabled in all the lists.

My setup is as follows.

SP1 - GV
SP2 - CallCentric

GV is forwarded to CallCentrinc DID.

Does any one have Call Screening still working and does your home phone ring even if someone does not say their name and just stays silent?

I am testing this with one cell phone which is not in any of the contact lists (be it on GV or on the cordless handsets).

SteveInWA

Google Voice's call screening feature does not prevent ringing.  It simply asks the calling party to say their name (or just stay silent), then, it forwards the call to your linked numbers and devices.  It then plays back whatever the caller said (or didn't say).  It does not suppress ringing.

dvpatel

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 05, 2021, 02:52:59 PM
Google Voice's call screening feature does not prevent ringing.  It simply asks the calling party to say their name (or just stay silent), then, it forwards the call to your linked numbers and devices.  It then plays back whatever the caller said (or didn't say).  It does not suppress ringing.
Well. That's a bummer then. I have no idea what is being "screened" then. :)

Thank you.

In any case, is there a way to directly send people NOT in the contact list straight to Google Voice VM and only allow the contact list folks to be able to ring on GV?

SteveInWA

Quote from: dvpatel on February 06, 2021, 04:31:46 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on February 05, 2021, 02:52:59 PM
Well. That's a bummer then. I have no idea what is being "screened" then. :)

Thank you.

In any case, is there a way to directly send people NOT in the contact list straight to Google Voice VM and only allow the contact list folks to be able to ring on GV?

No.  The only way to send people directly to voicemail is to enable Do not disturb mode, but that sends ALL calls to voicemail.

This is a six-year-old discussion thread.  Much of the original information is no longer relevant, due to changes in the service since then.

I recommend not posting additional questions here.