News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 wifi and Bridge Mode

Started by Edgewiser, April 23, 2015, 09:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgewiser

I am using an Obi202 with a wifi adapter.  I would like to use the LAN port for an ethernet printer.  But when I put the Obi202 into Bridge Mode and reboot, it cannot get an IP address with the wifi, and my phone service doesn't work.

Can the Obi202 be used with the wifi adapter in Bridge Mode?

LTN1

To set it in Bridge mode, please do the following:
1.Make sure the WAN port is enabled first by following the FAQ link below.
http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

To put the OBi into bridge mode, on the attached phone dial ***0, 31#, 1,1#,1

To put it back to router mode dial ***0, 31#, 1,0#,1 (comma means pause and listen)

After entering a string, you could just hang up.

OzarkEdge

>>Can the Obi202 be used with the wifi adapter in Bridge Mode?

I would think so.  It should provide a wireless connection to your network/router/AP.

I would try setting it up again (http://www.obihai.com/wifi) now that the OBi is in bridge mode.

OE

aaroncody

Quote from: LTN1 on April 23, 2015, 10:49:07 AM
To set it in Bridge mode, please do the following:
1.Make sure the WAN port is enabled first by following the FAQ link below.
http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

To put the OBi into bridge mode, on the attached phone dial ***0, 31#, 1,1#,1

To put it back to router mode dial ***0, 31#, 1,0#,1 (comma means pause and listen)

After entering a string, you could just hang up.

this is driving me crazy ... i just want to disable the router and have the OBi202 work in bridge mode ... I followed these steps and the phone said DHCP was disabled... (i guess that means it's in bridge mode?) ... but still .. when i renew DHCP leases on my connected devices it still seems to be finding the OBi DHCP server !!!

SteveInWA

The setting described earlier in this thread should work to place the device into bridge mode.  However, you can also change the setting this way:

Log on to the device's local, embedded web server.  Find the device's IP address, either from the status section on OBiTALK, or by pressing ***1 on your OBi-attached telephone.  Access that IP address on your web browser (default user ID and password are both "admin").  Go to Router Configuration, LAN Settings, and change Operation Mode to "Bridge".  You'll need to remove the check mark from the "Default" column to unlock this setting.

You can also turn off the DHCP server on that same page.

Click the "Submit" button to make the change.

PeterR

On the bottom of page 77 of the manual it says:
"If the OBi is set to function as a LAN switch rather than a router, OBiWiFi is disabled internally."

So it looks like you have to use the router mode, not the bridge/switch mode, if you also want to use WiFi.   This sort of makes sense, since the wired side and the WiFi side might be on very different networks, and you couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't want to bridge them, you need to route between them.  The OBi doesn't know that it is just a printer your a connecting, and doesn't realize that the wired LAN doesn't have its own Internet access.

drgeoff

Quote from: PeterR on November 20, 2015, 05:36:58 AM
On the bottom of page 77 of the manual it says:
"If the OBi is set to function as a LAN switch rather than a router, OBiWiFi is disabled internally."
Good spot.

They are not quite as compact as an OBiWiFi but USB powered small router/APs can be found on ebay for around US$10.  Most of them can be configured to work as a WiFi (client) to ethernet adaptor.  These will also (when alternatively powered) give WiFi connectivity to OBi1x0 devices.

Various form factors.  One pictured below.  (They also support cellular data USB dongles, hence the 3G/4G markings but that is irrelevant when used as WiFi to ethernet.)