News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring.to > Callcentric > Obi202 for Incoming & Ring.to for Outgoing

Started by freevoiptalk, April 24, 2015, 08:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freevoiptalk

I'm not sure how to go about setting this up, or if I can even do what I'd like.

I want to get Caller ID with name, and I'm reading Callcentric seems to be a good way to do that.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640

There would just be a $1.50/month fee for unlimited incoming calls. I can have Ring.to, forward calls to Callcentric, and then it would go through to the Obi device. I don't think that will be a problem. I'm not sure how to go about using just Ring.to for outgoing calls though.

Also, I think Ring.to requires a $12/year fee for 911, and I'll also need to pay $1.50/month for Callcentric, so it seems like I'm paying the fee twice.

I have an Obi202, and will have two lines with Ring.to to ring two separate phones. I'm simply looking for the best way to get Caller ID with name.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

OzarkEdge

CallerID name can be set in your device.  It may be transmitted by your service provider.  It can be overridden at the receiving end by CNAM lookup, if subscribed to by the recipient.

CallerID number may be set in your device, but is more likely set in your service provider account.  Some providers permit you to spoof/fake it.

The recipient will see CallerID information if their service provider and their device support this feature.  Most VoIP service providers support CallerID.  OBi products support CallerID.  Your phones may or may not support CallerID.

You only need one service provider to get CallerID.  You may have to pay a fee per inbound call for CNAM lookup to see a non-spoofed CallerID name, subject to the accuracy of the CNAM lookup service being used.

Since VoIP permits spoofing CallerID information, its accuracy and legitimacy is has been diminished.

OE

rolandh

When you say that CallerID name can be set in your device are you referring to inbound or outbound CNAM? RingTo will set outbound CNAM manually if requested. RingTo does not support CallerID spoofing at this time.

For the OP, I presume you want to use RingTo for outbound calls to take advantage of free calls to the U.S. and Canada, while receiving inbound calls via Callcentric for inbound CallerID with name. Am I correct? If so, yes this can be done. I do so.

If the plan is to have two numbers in your RingTo account each ring a separate line, you'll need two DIDs (phone numbers) with Callcentric. If you're looking at the free NY numbers, Callcentric neither supports or guarantees, inbound CNAM will work when forwarding to them from RingTo or another service provider. That said, it works for me and I'm sure others as well. You'll need to create extensions with Callcentric, one for each Callcentric DID then forward your RingTo numbers one to each Callcentric DID. This will require two SP (Service Provider) slots on your OBi for Callcentric.

To use RingTo for outbound calls will require a third SP slot. A minor adjustment to the InboundCallRoute of the SP RingTo is provisioned on will keep RingTo from attempting to ring the OBi simultaneously with the calls forwarded to Callcentric. This adjustment does require use of OBi expert mode. Please understand that there will be no easy way to select the outbound CallerID using your RingTo numbers on a per call basis. RingTo sends the CallerID for the number designated as the Default Outbound Number on your RingTo Dashboard. It can be changed on the RingTo Dashboard prior to making a call but this is not exactly an elegant solution. When I need to use a secondary number in my RingTo account for CallerID I use their mobile app, which allows for selecting the outbound number on a per call basis.

Lastly you are correct that both Callcentric and RingTo require E911. Unfortunately, the only E911 service that will work with RingTo is the Anveo E911 for RingTo service made available only when provisioning RingTo to your OBi. My understanding is that while the E911 requirement is RingTo's, it was Obihai's decision to partner exclusively with Anveo to provide the service. No one likes having to buy redundant service but if you ask me $30 annually ($12 to Anveo, $18 to Callcentric) for otherwise free phone service is a pretty good deal. Anveo E911 for RingTo will require the fourth SP slot on your OBi, so if I'm correct about how you want the two lines to work all will be occupied.

You can search the RingTo Community at community.ring.to to see how others have done this.

restamp

OzarkEdge

Quote from: rolandh on April 25, 2015, 08:22:40 AM
When you say that CallerID name can be set in your device are you referring to inbound or outbound CNAM? RingTo will set outbound CNAM manually if requested. RingTo does not support CallerID spoofing at this time.

If you are setting CallerID name, it is for outbound.  It may or may not arrive at the destination, depending on your service provider's handling of this information, and whether or not CNAM lookup is being using at the receiving end.  If CNAM lookup at the receiving end finds a different CallerID name in the database it is using, the CallerID name you set will not be delivered.

That's my understanding of it.

OE

azrobert

You can get a GoogleVoice account with Bill Simon's GV gateway for CNAM then forward Ring.to to your GV number. Define Simon's GW as an inbound only trunk in your OBi202. This would be a role reversal, having GV as a forwarding number. There is a one-time $7 fee for the GW. You would be using 3 services for inbound calls, increasing the possibility of failure.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29980143-Biil-Simon-relaunches-his-Google-Voice-gateway-deal-expires-4-10

Dump Ring.to and use GV with the Simon GW. You would just define the GW in your OBi202.

rolandh

Quote from: restamp on April 25, 2015, 08:44:59 AM
rolandh: Thanks for that useful post!

You're welcome :)!

Quote from: OzarkEdge on April 25, 2015, 08:46:55 AM
If you are setting CallerID name, it is for outbound. It may or may not arrive at the destination, depending on your service provider's handling of this information, and whether or not CNAM lookup is being using at the receiving end. If CNAM lookup at the receiving end finds a different CallerID name in the database it is using, the CallerID name you set will not be delivered.

That's my understanding of it.

OE

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!

Quote from: azrobert on April 25, 2015, 08:59:37 AM
You can get a GoogleVoice account with Bill Simon's GV gateway for CNAM then forward Ring.to to your GV number. Define Simon's GW as an inbound only trunk in your OBi202. This would be a role reversal, having GV as a forwarding number. There is a one-time $7 fee for the GW. You would be using 3 services for inbound calls, increasing the possibility of failure.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29980143-Biil-Simon-relaunches-his-Google-Voice-gateway-deal-expires-4-10

Dump Ring.to and use GV with the Simon GW. You would just define the GW in your OBi202.

I agree that the Simonics Google Voice Gateway is a viable option but, if I understand the OP's use case correctly, the one-time cost for startup would be closer to $70 rather than $7. Porting two numbers to GV = $40. Converting two numbers to mobile, so GV will port them = $15-$20. Two Simonics accounts = $14. Admittedly, I'm presuming the OP has numbers already since RingTo, which requires porting in was mentioned. Porting to RingTo is free for all types of numbers (mobile, landline, VoIP). Additionally IMHO, Callcentric's call handling features are superior to those offered by GV with or without Simonics.

freevoiptalk

Quote from: rolandh on April 25, 2015, 08:22:40 AM

For the OP, I presume you want to use RingTo for outbound calls to take advantage of free calls to the U.S. and Canada, while receiving inbound calls via Callcentric for inbound CallerID with name. Am I correct? If so, yes this can be done. I do so.

If the plan is to have two numbers in your RingTo account each ring a separate line, you'll need two DIDs (phone numbers) with Callcentric. If you're looking at the free NY numbers, Callcentric neither supports or guarantees, inbound CNAM will work when forwarding to them from RingTo or another service provider. That said, it works for me and I'm sure others as well. You'll need to create extensions with Callcentric, one for each Callcentric DID then forward your RingTo numbers one to each Callcentric DID. This will require two SP (Service Provider) slots on your OBi for Callcentric.

To use RingTo for outbound calls will require a third SP slot. A minor adjustment to the InboundCallRoute of the SP RingTo is provisioned on will keep RingTo from attempting to ring the OBi simultaneously with the calls forwarded to Callcentric. This adjustment does require use of OBi expert mode. Please understand that there will be no easy way to select the outbound CallerID using your RingTo numbers on a per call basis. RingTo sends the CallerID for the number designated as the Default Outbound Number on your RingTo Dashboard. It can be changed on the RingTo Dashboard prior to making a call but this is not exactly an elegant solution. When I need to use a secondary number in my RingTo account for CallerID I use their mobile app, which allows for selecting the outbound number on a per call basis.

Lastly you are correct that both Callcentric and RingTo require E911. Unfortunately, the only E911 service that will work with RingTo is the Anveo E911 for RingTo service made available only when provisioning RingTo to your OBi. My understanding is that while the E911 requirement is RingTo's, it was Obihai's decision to partner exclusively with Anveo to provide the service. No one likes having to buy redundant service but if you ask me $30 annually ($12 to Anveo, $18 to Callcentric) for otherwise free phone service is a pretty good deal. Anveo E911 for RingTo will require the fourth SP slot on your OBi, so if I'm correct about how you want the two lines to work all will be occupied.

You can search the RingTo Community at community.ring.to to see how others have done this.

Thank you for your reply.

I was referring to incoming caller ID with name. I would like outgoing with name also, but I'm assuming Ring.to doesn't support that.

Yes, I want to use Ring.to for the free calling and Callcentric for the caller ID with name.

I'm not sure what you mean by extensions with Callcentric. Is there a tutorial? I understand I'll need to pay for the two incoming numbers ($1.50/month each).

I'll be porting two numbers to Ring.to, and the numbers with Ring.to will be what I want to show as outgoing. The only reason for Callcentric is for the caller ID with name.

It would be nice if Ring.to would support the caller ID with name, even if there were to be a small fee. That would make it a lot easier.

I have the Obi202 right now, do you think that will be good enough for the two Ring.to lines, and two Callcentric for the incoming?

Thank you again.

rolandh

Quote from: freevoiptalk on April 25, 2015, 06:51:12 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I was referring to incoming caller ID with name. I would like outgoing with name also, but I'm assuming Ring.to doesn't support that.

Yes, I want to use Ring.to for the free calling and Callcentric for the caller ID with name.

I'm not sure what you mean by extensions with Callcentric. Is there a tutorial? I understand I'll need to pay for the two incoming numbers ($1.50/month each).

I'll be porting two numbers to Ring.to, and the numbers with Ring.to will be what I want to show as outgoing. The only reason for Callcentric is for the caller ID with name.

It would be nice if Ring.to would support the caller ID with name, even if there were to be a small fee. That would make it a lot easier.

I have the Obi202 right now, do you think that will be good enough for the two Ring.to lines, and two Callcentric for the incoming?

Thank you again.

RingTo is able to set outbound CNAM (Caller ID with Name), however, it's a manual process for them and must be specifically requested. If you decide to port your numbers to RingTo that request can be made after the port is complete via the RingTo Community at commiunity.ring.to or support ticket. Making the request via the community will be faster.

Presuming you want the two incoming numbers to ring separate lines on your OBi 202, you need two destinations for the numbers to ring. Callcentric refers to these destinations as extensions, other providers use the term sub-accounts. It's not a tutorial but this FAQ page on Callcentric's website provides additional information, http://www.callcentric.com/faq/35. The $1.50/month you'd be paying to Callcentric for E911 is per account not per number or extension.

There is a potential gotcha with the way RingTo works with an OBi. You can have multiple numbers in a RingTo account, however, RingTo can only send one at a time as outbound Caller ID. That will be the number designated as the Default Outbound Number in your RingTo account, usually the first number ported. You can change this at will via your dashboard on RingTo's website prior to making a call but if you want to push a button on a two-line phone to select which RingTo number to call out on that won't work. This is because your OBi sees only your RingTo account not the individual numbers within the account. Some have worked around this by setting up two RingTo accounts with one number in each. Unfortunately, the OBiTalk portal will only provision a single RingTo account per device. In other words you'd need two phones connected to two OBi's each provisioned to a different RingTo account for this particular workaround. It would also require separate Anveo E911 for RingTo accounts for each OBi. My solution is to leave the Default Outbound Number set to the RingTo number I use most frequently and use that with my OBi. When I want to make a call with a secondary RingTo number, I use RingTo's mobile app. The app supports selecting the outbound number on a per call basis.

It would certainly be easier if RingTo supported inbound CNAM. It is one of the most popular requests on the RingTo Community, https://community.ring.to/ideas/1325. You're more than welcome to join the community, vote the idea up and indicate in a comment that it's something you'd be willing to pay for. It's been my experience that RingTo does listen to it's customers. I think it's something that may well happen but I don't see the situation changing in the immediate future.

If you can live with the limitations I've described above and assuming your OBi 202 was purchased new before May 1, 2014 https://community.ring.to/docs/DOC-1029, it will get the job done. If not, I suggest taking a look at azrobert's suggestion of using Google Voice with the Simonics Google Voice Gateway. Callcentric's call handling features are much more robust but if all you really want is inbound CNAM it might be a good fit.

azrobert

rolandh,
With only one Ring.to account and 2 DIDs, I assume the OP can't selectively route inbound calls. All inbound calls would have to be routed to both Phone 1 and Phone 2. Correct?

freevoiptalk,
You can do half and half.
Use your current Ring.to with Callcentric and get GV with Simon's GW or Callcentric for the 2nd line.

rolandh

Quote from: azrobert on April 26, 2015, 08:17:35 AM
rolandh,
With only one Ring.to account and 2 DIDs, I assume the OP can't selectively route inbound calls. All inbound calls would have to be routed to both Phone 1 and Phone 2. Correct?

Hi azrobert,

RingTo, by design, rings any SIP device logged into a specific RingTo account. With multiple numbers in that account calling any number will ring all devices. RingTo's forwarding to external destinations works differently in that multiple numbers in the same account can be routed selectively. For the OP's purposes with two Callcentric DIDs to forward to inbound calls would work fine. To keep RingTo from ringing the OBi simultaneously with the forwarded calls coming in to Callcentric requires a minor modification to the InboundCallRoute for the SP RingTo is provisioned on. Simply edit the OBiTalk default to {}. It was a previous post of your's somewhere in another thread that helped me figure that out as your posts have helped me to do with many things OBi. I thank you for that.

It's outbound calls that might be a deal breaker. There is simply no way on the OBi (that I know of) to select a specific outbound number from within a single RingTo account to use as Caller ID. If you can think of a way, I'd be most interested and more than happy to test. RingTo on an OBi sends outbound Caller ID based on the Default Outbound Number as configured on its' website. It can be changed but is not convenient to do so on a per call basis.

Lastly, I should add that RingTo does not expose SIP credentials. Provisioning is handled by the OBiTalk portal similar to GV. This is so that only approved clients (OBis purchased after 5/1/14, RingTo's own mobile apps and GrooVe IP on Android) may connect. I have used other clients by using my OBi as a proxy, again, with a tip of the hat to you!

Apologies for the long-windedness, the short answer is you are correct but one can work around that by forwarding to Callcentric or another external destination registered to the OBi.