News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using old Vestalink account for 911 service

Started by Toto, April 30, 2015, 11:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toto

I have an obi200 with Google voice as my primary service provider. I started out with GV until they stopped offering service for obi devices back in 2014 so I switched over to VL which never worked well for me but I paid them for 2 years of service. I switched back over GV when it became available again but of course it does not include 911 service.
I want to know if I can use my VL service which is idle right now, for my SP2 as a 911 provider. When I go into the list of Compatible service providers on the obitalk site, I don't see Vestalink listed, so is it not an option anymore? If I can still use it, how do I set Vestalink up as my SP2 strictly for 911 service?
Thanks

azrobert

First my disclaimer:
I have only used OBiTalk to setup Google Voice, so I might be missing something.

Here is the info you need from Vestalink:
https://intelafone.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1382461-advanced-obi-configuration

Vestalink is not listed anymore as a provider, so select Generic Provider at the bottom of the list.

Uncheck "Primary Line for Outgoing Calls" and anything else you want to disable.

Check "Use for 911"

BigJim_McD

Toto,

I also signed up for 2-years with Vestalink.  I route my Home phone Google Voice incoming calls to Vestalink for E911 and for CNAM which searches my Vestalink phone book before doing the CNAM lookup.  I make my outgoing calls using Google Voice.

Follow the instructions from azrobert.  A note of caution, I've found that I can use OBiTalk to add Vestalink as an "Generic Service Provider" using my "Vestalink Sip Credentials" but after adding Vestalink and all is up and working I can NOT update the configuration via OBiTalk except by using Expert Mode. 

When I attempt to save changes on SP1 that I have previously configured for Vestalink, via OBiTalk, I get the following error.

DatabaseException

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

QUERY: select id from obhsn_itsps where id=

The only way to make an update is to use OBiTalk Expert Mode or Delete the SP with Vestalink, then Add Vestalink back on the SP with the changes.

I'm currently trying the "Google Voice + Vestalink" association.  Works well with one Chronic issue.  If I use Vestalink for outgoing calls, more often than not, I loose Audion both inbound and outbound after 15 minutes.  That is the reason, I use Google Voice for all outbound calls.  I sent an email to Vestalink support several days ago, but they haven't bothered to get back to me.

After any changes, I use "933" to verify that E911 is still working.
BigJimMcD

zawy

It looks like vestalink is bypassing obitalk's web page, which seems like a good explanation for why obi does not mention them anymore.  In order to get vestalink to work, they want you to reset to factory default which disconnects the obi device from obitalk site's configuration and they do not say anything about using the obitalk after that.  Vestalink requiring a reset to factory default implies they know how to "hack" the old obi software, but not the new software.  If you want to use google voice now with an obi100 device (i can't get vestalink to work anymore as of last week), you have to pay obi $10 for "support".  It requires installing the new firmware, which I guess is necessary to work with Google voice, if not meant to block vestalink and others.  I can't see that paying the $10 does anything other than letting you get past their web page blocks to connect to google, which I guess is how they post-finance the creation of the new firmware.

Update:  I wouldn't have thought it was possible but it seems like the new firmware does not allow resetting to default.  Vestalink's online software, nor following their hard reset instructions are enabling me to erase the firmware.  And here's where my problem might be "If your OBi ATA is linked to the OBiTalk portal, any local LAN settings, including a factory reset, my be over-ridden or reversed by the OBiTalk connected portal.  "