December 12, 2017, 03:24:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Configuration help needed - iPod Touch 4G/Obi100/Google Voice  (Read 18051 times)
blowe

« on: April 30, 2015, 07:13:29 pm »

Here is my situation. I have a Obi100 set up at home. SP1 is set to my Google Voice #. It rings my home phone. I don't have any fancy call forwarding set up to my cell phone or anything. I am simply using it as my home phone.

Now I want to enable calling on my daughters iPod Touch 4G. She has her own GV #. Ideally, I would her to be able to receive calls and not make them, but if that is not possible, that is OK. I just want the ability to "ring" her iPod Touch in case we need to get a hold of her. Can I do this? If so, does it involve the Obi100 or can I do this solely with GV?
azrobert
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:35:33 pm »

You can install the Hangouts app on the iPod. This will enable your daughter to make and receive calls using her GV account. You would call her GV number.

You can install the OBion app on the iPod. The default setup will enable you to call her over the OBiTalk network using the OBi number of the OBion app. She would also be able to call the phone attached to the OBi100. Optionally, you can configure the OBi100 to enable her to make outbound calls on any trunk defined on the OBi100. You can define her GV account on SP2 and restrict her access to that account.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:41:37 pm by azrobert » Logged
blowe

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:29:49 am »

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I did try to install Google Hangouts on her Ipod Touch. Unfortunately, Google Hangouts requires iOS7 and her Ipod Tough 4G is limited to iOS6. Is there any Google Hangouts alternatives that will interact with Google Voice in the same way?
azrobert
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:24:40 am »

You can install the Zoiper softphone with one of two GV services.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29987708-gvsip-versus-simonics-gateway

GVsip now has a free tier with up to 1000 minutes per month. I tried it and it seems to work fine, but some people don't trust the company. If they change their service, you can always switch at that time.

Simonics has been around a long time. He had to shut down his free service because Google changed a security policy. He's back up with a new service, but now charges a one time fee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: