News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 Google Voice Offline

Started by ponycar, May 08, 2015, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponycar

I've had my Obi110 for probably 3 years. I was on Google Voice then left when it was no longer supported, and now I'm back on Google Voice.  Every few days our phone service goes out - it says SP1 Google Voice Offline.  It always seems to come back many hours later.  If I power cycle the Obi110 service comes back right away.

I'm wondering if this seems more likely an issue with my Obi110 and its related GV config, or perhaps an issue with my router/switch to which my Obi110 is connected.

Any suggestions?  
Thank you

restamp

It may well be your router.  I had a similar problem with an old ZyXel P324:  Apparently they hadn't planned on a UDP connection being tied up indefinitely and when the NAT table wrapped, it had a bug which partially reassigned the NAT table entry and hung the voip connection.  The fact that the ZyXEL had the ability dump the NAT table permitted me to diagnose the problem, but in the end I never found a viable work-around and had to replace the router.  But it had the same signature:  The ATA would be stable for a day or two, and then go offline until I reset it.

cz016m

I am having the same problem.  I suspect my Netgear WNDR3400v2 router is the problem.  Hopefully, I can fix it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ponycar on May 08, 2015, 11:15:34 PM
I've had my Obi110 for probably 3 years. I was on Google Voice then left when it was no longer supported, and now I'm back on Google Voice.  Every few days our phone service goes out - it says SP1 Google Voice Offline.  It always seems to come back many hours later.  If I power cycle the Obi110 service comes back right away.

I'm wondering if this seems more likely an issue with my Obi110 and its related GV config, or perhaps an issue with my router/switch to which my Obi110 is connected.

Any suggestions?  
Thank you

There have been many similar posts from users with this scenario:  the user has a older OBi device, often a 1xx series.  They were using it with Google Voice service some years ago.  Since then, Google changed the authentication method for accessing a Google user's account for use with an OBi device.  This required a firmware update to the device.  The user is now having various problems using the service.

The most likely cause is that the OBi device is still configured with the down-level firmware and user ID/password method of accessing the Google account.

The most likely solution:

• Log onto the OBiTALK portal and delete the OBi device off of your account.
  • Factory-reset the device:  use a paper clip to depress and hold, for 10 seconds, the reset button, recessed underneath the OBi device, accessible via a small hole.
  • Go here, and download the latest firmware for your device:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
  • Pick up the telephone handset attached to the OBi, and key in ***1 and make note of the IP address read to you.  Enter that address into your web browser to get to the device's local web page.
  • Go to System Management, Device Update, select the downloaded firmware file obtained above, and update your device
  • Open a separate tab in your web browser, and log into your Google/Gmail/GV account.  Make sure you are logged into the correct account, as it is possible to be logged into multiple Google accounts at the same time without realizing it.
  • After this is done, leaving the Google account session open in that tab, open another browser tab, and go back to the OBiTALK portal, and use the **5 xxxx procedure to add your device back to the portal, then configure Google Voice service by following the steps on the portal pages.

joel

Steve,

I have a similar problem with my Obi100. It says SP1 Google Voice Account Offline on my Obi dashboard and I get "no service available" when I try to dial out (I do have a dial tone).

I can fix it by turning off power to everything (modem, router, obi; doesn't work if I just turn off the obi power) and then turning them on again.

There is no yellow triangle on my Obi dashboard for any updates.
I dialed ***6 and there were no updates available.

I checked my firmware using ***01# and it said I had 1.3.0.2872
I looked on the linked page referenced in your email and the firmware update there is 1.3.0.2853

Should I be updating my firmware with what looks like an older version (I'm assuming 2872 is newer than 2853)?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

drgeoff

Quote from: joel on August 29, 2015, 09:42:16 AM
Steve,

I have a similar problem with my Obi100. It says SP1 Google Voice Account Offline on my Obi dashboard and I get "no service available" when I try to dial out (I do have a dial tone).

I can fix it by turning off power to everything (modem, router, obi; doesn't work if I just turn off the obi power) and then turning them on again.

There is no yellow triangle on my Obi dashboard for any updates.
I dialed ***6 and there were no updates available.

I checked my firmware using ***01# and it said I had 1.3.0.2872
I looked on the linked page referenced in your email and the firmware update there is 1.3.0.2853

Should I be updating my firmware with what looks like an older version (I'm assuming 2872 is newer than 2853)?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Your firmware version is fine. (And OBi110s cannot be downgraded by end-users.)

If your OBi is getting its IP address settings by DHCP from the router,  try changing to manually setting address,  netmask, gateway and DNS on the OBi.

SteveInWA

One would think that Obihai would maintain the linked post to list the current firmware release, but the person who was acting as "forum custodian" is no longer in that position, and the wording in the post is outdated.  In fact, you're running the correct, current firmware version and the post is just incorrect as to the number.

The symptom you describe could be caused by anything related to the reliability of your home network connection and possible hardware failures in your modem, router or OBi device.  I assume you meant that it does work for a while, or sometimes, until it stops working.  This suggests that your Google Voice and your OBi configurations are correct.

Have you observed any other problems with your home network, such as streaming video or music stopping, or a computer that seems to hang momentarily while waiting to load webpages?  It's going to be very hard to diagnose this via the forum; you may need to take your OBi to another location to at least rule it out as the failing component.

joel

Yes, Obi100 works for most of the time, once in a while, this would happen. I am thinking you may be right about the home network as sometimes my Internet does hang when a lot of people are on it. And the last time Obi100 went out was when I had some guests.

I'll monitor and see if there is a relationship between the two.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.