News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing google voice accounts

Started by nr123, May 11, 2015, 09:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nr123

I just bought a OBI 100. I'd like to know if I set up my google voice account with an existing google voice /gmail account, will I be able to change it to a different gmail account's number if I so wish?

TIA!

OzarkEdge

One account.  All of Google.

You can configure your OBi100 for 2 voice accounts... SIP and/or XMPP/Google Voice accounts.

If you want to use a different account, you must reconfigure your OBi for that account.

OE

nr123

Quote from: OzarkEdge on May 11, 2015, 12:16:20 PM
One account.  All of Google.

You can configure your OBi100 for 2 voice accounts... SIP and/or XMPP/Google Voice accounts.

If you want to use a different account, you must reconfigure your OBi for that account.

OE

Not sure I understood correctly...

Can I use 2 google voice accounts on the same Obi100?

If not, is it a big deal to reconfigure the Obi for the new google voice account?

OzarkEdge

Yes, you can configure your OBi100 for ***2 voice accounts***... either SIP and/or XMPP/Google Voice accounts.

Typically, you would configure your OBi for 1 Google Voice account and 1 SIP account so that you can call 911 on the SIP account.  Google Voice does not offer 911 service.

However, you could configure your OBi for 2 Google Voice accounts and no SIP accounts.

Reconfiguring an OBi for a different account is no different than configuring an OBi for any account.  You just do it.  But it's not something you would do regularly.

OE

nr123

Thank you very much!

Calling 911 for me isn't an issue as I'll be using this device abroad.

SteveInWA

(Re)configuring Google Voice as a service provider is handled differently than (re)configuring a SIP service provider.

Assuming you already have a SP slot configured for GV, first, log into the Google Voice account that you would like to use, instead of the account you are using now.  Leave that browser window open.  Then, press Ctrl-T to open up a new web browser tab, and in that tab, log onto your OBiTALK portal account, and click your OBi device's name.  Click the gear icon to the right of the SP configuration row (e.g. SP1), to get to its settings.  Click the link to the right of the "Replace Google Account Credentials" link.  This will take you to a simple procedure that will allow OBiTALK to replace the old account's secure access token with a new one, for the desired account.  Just look at the pop-up window and confirm that you are selecting the correct account.  That's all there is to it.

nr123

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 11, 2015, 02:47:56 PM
(Re)configuring Google Voice as a service provider is handled differently than (re)configuring a SIP service provider.

Assuming you already have a SP slot configured for GV, first, log into the Google Voice account that you would like to use, instead of the account you are using now.  Leave that browser window open.  Then, press Ctrl-T to open up a new web browser tab, and in that tab, log onto your OBiTALK portal account, and click your OBi device's name.  Click the gear icon to the right of the SP configuration row (e.g. SP1), to get to its settings.  Click the link to the right of the "Replace Google Account Credentials" link.  This will take you to a simple procedure that will allow OBiTALK to replace the old account's secure access token with a new one, for the desired account.  Just look at the pop-up window and confirm that you are selecting the correct account.  That's all there is to it.

Thank you very much for the clear step by step instructions! Greatly appreciated

screenname

I followed this procedure to change my account. It does work but the account does not change right away. The one I did this morning took about 1.5 hrs before the calls will be made with the new account.

SteveInWA

Quote from: screenname on June 07, 2015, 08:38:21 AM

I followed this procedure to change my account. It does work but the account does not change right away. The one I did this morning took about 1.5 hrs before the calls will be made with the new account.

That had to be some sort of unrelated glitch.  The change happens in real time, while you are watching the spinner icon spin on the web page.  At that time, the portal is replacing the OAUTH token on your device.  There's nothing else going on that would kick in after a delay.  Since the OBiTALK portal is often broken over weekends, it's possible that your device just wasn't communicating with the portal when you tried to make the change.

screenname

If it is some kind of glitch, I don't know what it is. I repeated this process again. After I confirmed the new account, my Obi110 rebooted. When I made a call, the called party shows my previous google account info. It is now over 10 minutes since I made the change and it still uses the old account.

SteveInWA

I just now tested it with an OBi 200.  The device was configured to use my GV account "A".  First, I made sure I was logged into the correct / different GV account "B", not "A".  Then, using the OBiTALK portal, I clicked the SP1 link, and then I clicked the "Click here to replace the active Google account" link.  The portal made the change immediately to "B" after I confirmed the account I wanted to use.  The OBi then rebooted, and came back up using my GV "B" account.

Carefully follow the instructions and visually confirm that the Google account name displayed on the screen matches the account you want to use.  It is very easy to be logged into the wrong Google account, since Google allows you to be logged into multiple accounts on the same browser session.  Watch the blinking LEDs on the OBi after issuing the command.  If they don't blink, indicating a reboot, then pull out the power plug and re-insert to force a reboot.

If you aren't immediately seeing the account change, then you're doing something wrong, or the portal is temporarily down.

screenname

Seems like the change doesn't take effect immediately is because I logged out of acct A and logged into acct B in the same browser session. If I log into acct B in a new browser session and make change, the change will take effect after the device is rebooted.