News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[HOW TO] D-Link DIR-655 setup with OBi110?

Started by SkOrPn, June 06, 2011, 11:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkOrPn

Ok, well I thought I would ask real quick on my QoS page of my router just to make sure I have this correct before my OBi arrives tomorrow. Below is what the dir655 QoS page looks like. I have read many pages on my router but stuff like auto classification gets me confused. So to make this simple, could someone please tell me if my below settings look correct? And If not, what changes I should make?

NAME: OBi110
Priority: 1
Protocol: ? I assume I set this to BOTH???
Local IP Range: The static IP of the OBI box? 0.0.0.0 to what ever the OBi is? I'm pretty sure I will get this one wrong myself, lol.
Local Port Range: 0 to 65535, unchanged?
Remote IP Range: 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255, unchanged?
Remote Port Range: 0.0.0.0 to 65535, also unchanged?

Auto Classification: Isn't this a way for the router to determine what is connected to its ports and how to proceed? In other words doesn't this feature allow the router to identify that I have a ATA device attached to it OR that VoIP data is being negotiated and therefor, automatically set the proper QoS rules?

Dynamic Fragmentation: I assume this should be left unchecked since its for low uplink speeds?

SIP ALG: Already disabled on another page in the router.

DMZ: Put the static IP of the OBi in here and enable it? Right?

Is this about it for this router and OBi? Anything I am missing or forgetting?

Thank You!
SkOrPn

jimates

I thought Obihai had a thread about D-Link routers, can't find it. It has been mentioned in at least 2 recent firmware updates about fixes for D-Link router issues.

If you are going to use Google Voice only, Sip ALG doesn't matter.

SkOrPn

Quote from: jimates on June 06, 2011, 11:40:24 AM
I thought Obihai had a thread about D-Link routers, can't find it. It has been mentioned in at least 2 recent firmware updates about fixes for D-Link router issues.

If you are going to use Google Voice only, Sip ALG doesn't matter.
Yeah I didn't think SIP ALG mattered either, but it was already disabled. I do have a SipGate account (although not sure if I will ever need it now), so I left it disabled.

SkOrPn

Actually, won't the Sipgate number be the one I would use for E911? I mean Google Voice still does not provide 911 service.

EDIT: I just noticed that this router is on the OBi recommended router list. Thats very good news indeed. Just wish they would have posted recommended router settings, lol...

http://www.obihai.com/recommended.html

QBZappy

SkOrPn,

Hi, I think some of the settings expose the router with more ports than is needed. I think these settings will work.
Protocol: = UDP only should work
Local Port Range: = same as the OBi in this section of the OBi web page
Service Providers>RTP>LocalPortMin
Service Providers>RTP>LocalPortMax

Remote IP Range: 255.255.255.0 (This or whatever your subnet mask is in your lan setting) Will work if you leave it as is.

Remote Port Range:

You might need GV port open 5222 UDP (Not sure about this one I have not seen anyone needing to port forward this one yet)

DMZ: Better to setup a Dyndns account rather than putting it in the DMZ. I think your router might have that ability. You do not even need a Dyndns or DMZ setup if you do not plan on connecting to the OBi from the outside.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

SkOrPn

Quote from: QBZappy on June 06, 2011, 12:37:32 PM
SkOrPn,

Hi, I think some of the settings expose the router with more ports than is needed. I think these settings will work.
Protocol: = UDP only should work
Local Port Range: = same as the OBi in this section of the OBi web page

Remote IP Range: 255.255.255.0 (This or whatever your subnet mask is in your lan setting) Will work if you leave it as is.

Remote Port Range:

You might need GV port open 5222 UDP (Not sure about this one I have not seen anyone needing to port forward this one yet)

DMZ: Better to setup a Dyndns account rather than putting it in the DMZ. I think your router might have that ability. You do not even need a Dyndns or DMZ setup if you do not plan on connecting to the OBi from the outside.
Thank you very much, that helped me very much figure out what I need to do. I hope I dont need to also port forward, but I would think I do if my firewall is enabled. I will test without it first. Thanks...

DMZ: Ok, so DMZ is not necessary unless connecting to it remotely via the Internet? Sounds good to me...

I will report back my success or lack there of tomorrow night after playing around with the OBi. I only got this thing for its wireless N performance and never really played around with its settings much, except for to create my wireless network. Maybe now I can learn this thing and create rules for my Netflix box as well. lol

Thank You!

SkOrPn

Ok, Im not doing it correctly. When I go to click on "save settings" the router instantly goes to the login page, and when I login again and go back to the QOS page, the settings I entered are back to default. So I'm going to play with it in the DMZ for a while since thats a very easy setting, and see if I even need qos. Quality appears to be no better than MagicJack imo, so maybe I need to hunt down an affordable ITSP that has better quality than Google Voice. I assume the low static like quality is GV. I'm just happy I don't have to leave my computer on 24/7, lol...

RonR

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 07, 2011, 08:13:32 PM
I assume the low static like quality is GV.

Normally, Google Voice quality is very good.  There should be no static or breaking up.  I've had Google Voice since before it was Google Voice (GrandCentral), and the quality is nearly as good as landline or any VoIP provider.

Try temporarily connecting your OBi directly to your modem and see if the quality problems go away.  Make sure you reboot the modem and the OBi after making the connection.

SkOrPn

Hmm, I tried it directly to the modem and the OBi, would not connect and the Modem activity blue LED turned red, and the OBi power light kept blinking. BUT, I did not shut down the modem, I just turned off the OBi before connecting it.

Will try again and I will report back soon. Thanks

RonR

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 07, 2011, 08:45:48 PM
BUT, I did not shut down the modem, I just turned off the OBi before connecting it.

The modem is the important one to reboot.  Most ISP's only allow one device to be connected and validate it by MAC address.  If you change devices, the modem has to be rebooted in order to capture the new MAC address.

SkOrPn

Ok connecting my OBi directly to my modem appears to be a very bad thing to do. I unplugged the modem for a few minutes and the OBi, then plugged in the modem and allowed it to do its thing and get its nice led's all solid, then i plugged the OBi to it and turned it on and then the modems LED imediately turned red and the phone light on the OBi never turned on at all. Dialling **9 222 222 222 told me I had no service. The modems activity led turns red and just blinks and never gets its blue color back, and this last try caused my Modem to take a dump for about 15 minutes. After putting every thing back the way it way I no longer had any service at all, and I could no longer connect to the Modems configuration pages, then suddenly after a long wait and thinking I really screwed up my expensive modem, the Internet came back, lol. Is their an incompatibility with the Surfboard SB6120? Do I need to set the OBi back to its out of box defaults or something? Connected directly to the Modem the OBi never receives a steady phone light, it just stays turned off.

Any ideas?

RonR

An OBi ought to be happy connected directly to a Motorola SB6120.  They're both normal Ethernet devices and are made to be connected to each other.  When going from the OBi back to the router, you would have to power cycle both devices again.

I would recommend having both devices powered off.  Plug the OBi into the SB6120.  Power up the SB6120.  Once it acquires block-sync, power up the OBi.  Same procedure when going back to the router.

SkOrPn

Hmm, ok then my SB6120 must not be on the compatibility list or something, I did just exactly that and it dont work. I guess Ill try my own ethernet cables

Is there a way to put the OBi back to its out-of-box settings and then delete the device from my OBiTalk dashboard? If so, I could use the modems configuration page to set it back to its defaults (even though that does nothing Im sure), and then connect it to the OBi, and start from scratch I guess. Thanks for your help with this by the way.

RonR

You can connect directly to the OBi from your LAN using the IP address reported by dialing ***1.  From there you can restore factory defaults.  You can also use the reset button on the bottom of the OBi.  Hold it down until the OBi resets.  You can also dial ***81 from the phone to restore factory defaults.

SkOrPn

Ok well I got it to work with the modem. Tried a different location entirely and used some high quality Cat5 I had lying around and moved the OBi to a location 10 ft away from my router and computer. Connected it directly to the modem and then commenced to resetting the device using the button on the bottom. I waited for the light to turn green and did not let go until I saw it turn green again which now I think was wrong. But, this time it had service and the echo test sounded better, not much better but it did sound better to me *I think*. Then I went to configure it for service and realized theres no way to do that without Internet, so here I am back on the router, lol. This time around I keep seeing the OBi turn off and back on sporadically, but the light on the dashboard is still green.

EDIT: OK, I just got a call in the middle of this post and well it was excellent quality for an entire hour, every bit as good as the landlines around here. During the call I did notice a half second moment when I heard a echo of myself, but other than that it was superb. I even kept asking her if she was still there because it was so quiet when she wasnt talking, lol, and she would say yeah I'm still hear. She also said that I was crystal clear the entire time, so Im really happy about that. Even the volume from the phone was much better than MagicJack, so I sure hope Google doesn't turn this into some sort of high monthly cost like Vonage. Going to give this a few days as-is and see how it performs during a bout with my Netflix streaming.

For now its my bed time, I should sleep well knowing this works as good as it does.  ;D

Thanks