News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Gvoice Call Quality Issues - Requesting Help to Resolve

Started by Dan-Voip, May 14, 2015, 12:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Voip

Phone - OBi1032
Firmware - 5.0.0 (Build: 2486)
Connection - WiFi

• Status   Connected
  • WPA PSK
  • Strength   Good
  • Speed   150 Mb/s
  • Address   192.168.7.49
VoIP Provider - Gvoice
Problem - Garbled communications (both sides of the call) that can last for 1 to 45 seconds.  The longer  the call the longer the disruption seems to last.

Below are stats at 5 and 10 minutes during a call with the problem.  (Called number and internet IP masked  :D ).

image upload free

Any advice what to check or change would be greatly appreciated.

SteveInWA

My bet is that it's the WiFi connection.  "150Mbps" is meaningless -- it's the theoretical maximum connection rate.  You may be experiencing periodic signal dropout or degradation issues.  I'd start by (at least temporarily) using an Ethernet cable instead, to test this theory.

Dan-Voip

SteveInWA I fear your correct.  Unfortunately there isn't any way to get a wired connection to my phone :(

SteveInWA

Unfortunately, VoIP technology was designed before WiFi, and the older CODECs, such as the higher-bandwidth G.711 CODEC used by Google Chat (the XMPP service used by OBi devices) are particularly susceptible to audio problems caused by even brief dropouts or retries on WiFi connections.  These issues would normally not be noticed when surfing the web or even when watching a video or listening to music, because those streams aren't happening in real time, and they are buffered.  VoIP calls have a very small buffer -- if a larger buffer was used, it would cause unacceptable levels of latency.

The new-generation real-time audio and video communication systems will eventually mitigate this problem by using more modern CODECs that are rate-adaptive and more tolerant to signal quality issues.  For example, Google Hangouts supports the "HD Voice" adaptive multi-rate, wideband codecs, and will eventually inter-operate with similar technology used by the mobile phone carriers.

You didn't describe your network's topology, but if you can add a wireless network repeater or newer/better access point, you may be able to solve your problem.

TonyTib

Dan, is it possible you could use power line networking?
My situation: WiMax modem upstairs right by a window for Internet access, then a power line network connection (over the house's AC power lines) to the kitchen, where it's connected to my Obi 202 and another WiFi router.  Power line networking isn't perfect, but it can be very helpful.

Dan-Voip

SteveInWa:  I just upgraded my AP about 1 month ago to add 5G (it works great w/my MacBook ;D ).  My office (where the phone is located) is 1 floor above the WAP - construction is typical US residential (wood studs, drywall, bamboo flooring).

Part of the reason behind the upgrade was to get a faster connection for the phone.  However the Obi wireless adapter doesn't seem to support 5 G or wide 2.4 G (ie: 40 MHz) based on the access points and signal strength displayed when doing a scan (from the phone).  Below is a screen shot of my AP's wireless configuration.

upload a picture

Dan-Voip

TonyTib the first (and last) ethernet over power line adapters I tried was ~12 years ago.  They worked but were unreliable and slower than wireless.  I'd imagine the technology has improved and it just might be worth a try.  Thanks for the tip.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Dan-Voip on May 15, 2015, 12:22:02 PM
Below is a screen shot of my AP's wireless configuration.

Can you wire your phone to your router to test it?  If the problem persists, then never mind the WiFi.

As for the WiFi settings... mixed mode (Radio Band?) 802.11bgn would allow older/legacy 'b' devices to connect, which would then likely drop the speed to 11Mbps max.  If you have no 'b' clients or want to exclude them, I would set to 'gn' on the 2.4GHz radio, if possible.

Also try a different channel such as auto, 1,6, or 11.  I believe 1,6,11 do not overlap.  Interference at 2.4GHz could be causing the WiFi to slow down/thrash.  Changing the channel might dodge this.

Being a new router, make sure the firmware is current.  And doubt its performance until proven worthy... it's a cheap AC router.  Try using an old AP to see if the trouble persists.

And you definitely need to replace that Bamboo flooring with Maple!   ;D

OE

SteveInWA

[While a good suggestion in general, mixed-mode on the WAP has nothing to do with this problem.]

Even though I have upgraded my wireless routers many times over the years, and now have a super-fast, long-range, 802.11ac router, I also wired my two-story house with Ethernet cable between floors, (back in the 802.11g days).  It's really the best solution, if you can somehow run a cable between your router and your phone.  One way to accomplish this in an existing construction environment is to install (or hire an electrician to install) a single-gang wiring junction box in the outside-facing wall on each of the two floors, and then use PVC conduit along the outside wall of the house to go from the two boxes, though the walls.  Painting it to match the house paint makes it practically disappear visually.

By the way, if you use Ethernet cable for the OBi phone, you can also get rid of the AC/DC power adapter, and use Power over Ethernet (PoE) instead, either via a new Ethernet switch with built-in PoE, or use a PoE injector for that cable run.

DrJay

Or you could move the mountain to Mohammed.

My OBiHAI is located in the utility room where both my (cable) Internet comes in and the punchdown block for my home's telephone wiring is located.

I back feed the analog phone port of the OBiHAI into the punchdown block so that every phone jack in the house can access it. I just punched down a short piece of phone cable in the place of the old land line and crimped an RJ11 connector on the other end to plug it into the OBiHAI port. It works perfectly.

You can connect several phones in your house this way assuming that the wiring runs aren't terribly long and you use newer phones that don't need as much current to drive the microphone, speaker, dialpad and mechanical ringer found in older sets. And of course a cordless phone base with multiple handsets only counts as one phone.

Perhaps you could do the same thing in your house, depending on the location of your router and its proximity to your phone wiring.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: DrJay on May 17, 2015, 12:42:24 PM
Or you could move the mountain to Mohammed.

My OBiHAI is located in the utility room where both my (cable) Internet comes in and the punchdown block for my home's telephone wiring is located.

The OP's phone is an IP phone connected via Ethernet or WiFi.  There is no traditional analog phone wiring required.

OE

DrJay

Ah. Missed the OBi2032 in the OP and incorrectly assumed this was an OBi1xx or OBi2xx.

I'll just go back to my knitting now.  :-[

vadr

Quote from: Dan-Voip on May 15, 2015, 12:26:20 PMI'd imagine the technology has improved

No, it did not. I tried quite a few of them, and they are all terrible.

Dan-Voip

I set up a dedicated AP for my phone to ensure no contention. Placed the AP out of sight under a love seat almost directly under my phone (AP 1st floor, phone 2nd floor).  Wireless signal indicator on phone is full green and call quality is good.

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread for future readers.