News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot Use Google Voice

Started by DJDeals, June 06, 2011, 01:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJDeals

Hi,

I've read every document and followed all instructions.  I've set up my obi110 and my phone according to everything that is documented. 

I can call the test line and it works. 
I can make and receive calls from gmail.

I cannot make a call using my phone.
I cannot receive a call on my phone.

Every time I try to call using the phone I get this:
After You Dial, You Hear a Female Voice Say: "We can not complete your call."
This has lasted for dozens of tries of hours.  I can make a call anytime without any issue from gmail.

Every time I try to call my phone from another phone, such as my cell, I get the standard google voice response that I'm not available please leave a message, rather than my phone ringing.  There is no ring.

Help?

RonR

DJDeals,

Take a look at the OBi's Call History after a failed call with the female's voice and see which trunk the call went out on and if the number sent is what it shoul be (1 xxx xxx xxxx).

QBZappy

DJDeals,

Is this a SIP SP? Do you have credit in your account?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

The subject line is : "Cannot Use Google Voice"

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DJDeals

In my dashboard (http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/owned) I see no call history.

In Google Voice dashboard there is no history of any calls I attempted to make using the phone attached to the obi110.

RonR

To see the OBi's Call History, you have to log into the OBi itself.

Google Voice doesn't log failed calls.

DJDeals

RonR

You have to log into the IP address returned by ***1.  The Call History only exits in the OBi itself.

jimates

the "we cannot complete your call" female voice is from Google and it means the number delivered to google voice was either
a- not in the correct format (dialing 10 or 11 digits should work)
b- was recognized as an international number and there are not enough funds in your google voice account to cover the call.

If every call to your google voice number goes to voicemail, check "do not disturb" settings.
If the attendant is asking for your pin, instead of sending the call to voicemail, check your cell phones setting for direct access to your voicemail.

The default setting for cell phones when added to a google voice account is for direct access. You have to go into the advanced settings for the phone and change it.

DJDeals

Hi, We've tried dialing:

1-Area Code-Phone Number
     Area Code-Phone Number
     Phone Number (We already have the local area code set)

The "we cannot complete your call" female voice is the result for any number dialed.

Our "do not disturb" settings are all off, allowing calls anytime 24/7.
There is no request for a PIN because that's turned off.
We do not have any cell phone added to our account.

RonR

The Call History will tell you exactly what is being sent and to where.

Do you have the OBi plugged into a PSTN line?

vanlee

Quote from: DJDeals on June 06, 2011, 05:01:39 PM
Hi, We've tried dialing:

1-Area Code-Phone Number
     Area Code-Phone Number
     Phone Number (We already have the local area code set)

The "we cannot complete your call" female voice is the result for any number dialed.

Our "do not disturb" settings are all off, allowing calls anytime 24/7.
There is no request for a PIN because that's turned off.
We do not have any cell phone added to our account.

In case you have not checked, make sure that you sign off chat from your gmail account that you use to create your google voice account. If you still sign on chat, you can't make call from your OBI-connected phone. From your google voice account, make sure forward call to google chat is checked.

DJDeals

We have no gmail or google voice browser windows open.

QBZappy

DJDeals,

Some basics:

I cannot tell from your post. What country is this OBi located in?

Since you are getting the female GV voice I assume that the GV status on the OBi web page says "Connected"?  Can you confirm this.
Status>System Status>SP1/2 Service Status>Status = What?

vanlee

Quote from: DJDeals on June 06, 2011, 05:36:36 PM
We have no gmail or google voice browser windows open.

Just to be sure, log on gmail account and check if your chat is on. If so, explicitly sign off google chat. 

DJDeals

Done.

"We could not complete your call, please try again"

I'm pretty savvy with anything related to the internet, PC's, Mac's, and networking, but I've done everything that the documentation tells you to do...and no matter what, that's what happens when I pick up the phone to make a call.

jimates

I can make a call anytime without any issue from gmail. Have you tried to initiate a call from your google voice page?

What about the other phone in your google voice account? You must have another phone in the list besides google chat. If you don't that is likely the problem, you must have one physical phone in the account and verify the phone before the google voice account is active. That is why I asked about the cell phone settings.

As RonR said, the call history is where you want to start.

Pick up the phone connected to the Obi and dial ***1, it will give you the ip address for the Obi.
Navigate to the ip address and check the call history.
Status -> Call History

DJDeals

We don't have a phone number to the landline phone that we are using, which is the very reason we purchased the obi110, we don't want to pay Verizon $100 a month for phone service...we used to have a phone number active on this line, and were able to use google voice.  The google voice service has been active and in use since (literally) the day google released it to the public.

When we look at the history, here's what it shows:

Call 1   06/07/2011    11:41:00   

Terminal ID   PHONE1   GoogleVoice1
Peer Name      
Peer Number   1802343****   1802343****
Direction   Outbound   Outbound
11:41:00   New Call   
11:41:01      Call Connected
11:41:04      End Call

M105

Reset the Obi to factory defaults then use the Obi Portal (not expert mode) to set up Google Voice.  Do not configure anything manually until after you confirm that GV is working.

If it still does not work you most likely have a router/firewall issue.  Try temporarily disabling your router firewall or connect the Obi directly to your modem.