News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Making Use Of The Router In An OBi202

Started by ceg3, May 19, 2015, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

So, Obihai has a big sale on the OBi202 this weekend for 49.99.  In a few words can anybody explain how someone would make use of the built router function.  I have never really looked at the 202, because my needs are pretty simple.  I just six months ago upgraded my three year old 100 to a 200.  I can't imagine why I would want to get a 202, but I took at look at one online after finding out about the sale and noticed the "extra" Ethernet port, now I am curious. 

BigJim_McD

The OBi202 is an excellent 2-Phone Line ATA that allows two simultaneous calls at the same time.  I use my OBi202 with a two-phone line portable phone, this allows both my wife and myself to use the phone at the same time in any combination of incoming and outgoing calls.

At the same time, the OBi202 can be used as a very slow speed, POOR featured and POOR capability router.  Since I consider my WiFi router to one of the most important elements of my home network, I would never use the router on the OBi202.  I use a high performance AC1900 WiFi router.
BigJimMcD

OzarkEdge

I would not buy it for 30Mbps max routing.  I would buy it for its 2nd line.  I suppose you could use it to route your workstation or an IP phone in addition to its 2-port VoIP, but bridge mode (100Mbps switch) is probably sufficient for this.

I'm going to get a second one for backup and testing.

OE

restamp

The 2nd phone line on the 202 is really helpful:  Even if you don't need two lines in your home, it is quite useful for debugging  the first VoIP phone line when you don't have a landline.  Otherwise, I'd be stuck using my cell phone to test out every change.

You asked for an example of where I'd use the 202's router function:  Time Warner has an offer going in my area now for 2Mbps/1Mbps internet for $14.95/mo.  I suppose you'd have to provide your own modem for that price, but they claim it is not a "special (i.e., limited time) deal".  I've thought about taking them up on this offer as a backup in case my normal provider has a service outage.    If I did, I'd certainly give some consideration to the idea of dropping a 202 in router mode between the modem and the LAN.  2/1Mbps should handle VoIP fine and, like I said, it would otherwise be used only for backup and testing purposes.  (It would be nice if the 202 router had a stealth function, where it did not respond to WAN pings and port 80 scans.)