News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Touch tones not recognized

Started by YaddaYaddaObi, May 20, 2015, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YaddaYaddaObi

So, I just tried to call Verizon @ 888-553-1555 via my Obi202/GV setup using and my keypresses weren't recognized. This is the first time calling an IVR line using this setup, so I can't tell if it is a limited issue or widespread.  But, I was able to complete the call using Google Hangouts directly on my phone.

Anyone else with Verizon service with the same setup willing to call the number and see if they can navigate the IVR?

N7AS

I assume your Gv is setup on SP1.

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General
and set DTMFMethod to Inband

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

YaddaYaddaObi

You're correct. Before changing any settings I made the call again and it worked correctly. I wonder if there was an outage of some sort on Obi's end or is that not possible to be the cause?

I noticed that I'm not the only user reporting this happening to them today.

Also, can I ask why changing to DTMFMethod from Auto to Inband would help?

N7AS

RFC-2833 is not as reliable. Inband actually plays the DTMF key "in" the audio stream and Inband is the most commonly accepted form of DTMF in the industry, as far as VoIP to PSTN carriers go.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

NoelB

Quote from: N7AS on May 20, 2015, 08:49:03 PM
RFC-2833 is not as reliable. Inband actually plays the DTMF key "in" the audio stream and Inband is the most commonly accepted form of DTMF in the industry, as far as VoIP to PSTN carriers go.

I have always found 2833 as the most reliable. Each tone is sent as an rtp event and repeated a number of times. Inbound is ok with G711 but can be distorted and misinterpreted with any compressed codec such as G729.

drgeoff

Quote from: YaddaYaddaObi on May 20, 2015, 07:58:55 PMI wonder if there was an outage of some sort on Obi's end or is that not possible to be the cause?
With the sole exception of calls placed on the Obitalk network to other Obitalk devices or Obion softphones,  no calls go anywhere near any Obihai servers. Thus there is no possibility of "an outage of some sort on Obi's end" being the cause of what you observed.

OzarkEdge

I believe OBi DTMFMethod = Auto defaults to RFC2833 with fallback to InBand.

I would not be quick to troubleshoot as it appears (in forum posts) that GV is having issues lately.  It would be interesting to know what OBi firmware Build is involved.  And if OBiTALK Provisioning is being used since it is also reporting backend database errors and failures like not being able to access/backup OBi devices.

OE

YaddaYaddaObi

Quote from: OzarkEdge on May 21, 2015, 06:09:04 AM

It would be interesting to know what OBi firmware Build is involved.

OE

All of my Obi202s are running the latest FW, I believe it was released in Feb.

Side note: I've been experiencing other issues since yesterday as well. As you can see here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9965.msg65863#msg65863

OzarkEdge

I've seen this OBi GV setting suggested... give it a try:

ITSP Profile a
General - General::X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF = checked

Do a 'before' and 'after' test.

OE