News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Expert Config vs OBiTALK and Google Voice

Started by Goldenmeadow, May 25, 2015, 07:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenmeadow

Hi everybody!

I use OBi for couple years now (first 100, now 200).
But now I have couple questions that I'd like to find right answers for :)

1. GoogleVoice. Looks like now I HAVE TO register my OBi with OBiTALK in order to get GV going... Right? I'm asking because I used to configure my box locally and had it never registered with OBiTALK. Now it's the only way for me to get GV.

2. OBi Expert vs OBiTALK.
Like I said I like to configure box locally. But now I need to do it through OBiTALK. So I logged it and went into Expert mode. I set up all 4 SP. When I went back to simple OBiTALK I didn't see all my SP configured... Is it normal? I assumed that configuring SP in Expert mode should update info into simple mode too...

3. Backup. I tried to back up configuration in Expert mode couple times, but every time system gives me some timeout error and suggests come back later... Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

restamp

I experienced the all the same things you have reported, so I would say they are normal... unfortunately.

For #3, you can always back up your configuration locally using the web server on your OBi device.  As azrobert points out, you can later import this into OBiTalk to ensure the two are in sync.  (He suggests using the "OBi Version" of backup when you do this.)  This worked for me, in the sense that after having done so OBiTalk didn't wipe out my existing programming after I then allowed it to update my device, but it was problematic:  The non-default values were marked as "changed" (red exclamation point), but no value was displayed for them while in OBiTalk Expert Mode.

I personally find OBiTalk confusing, especially once I had several devices -- and as you point out, certain functions just don't work for me (always "try again later") -- so I use it to set up GV, after which I disable OBiTalk AutoProvisioning on the device and make my further changes via the device's web interface.

Goldenmeadow

Thanks for reply! I'm glad there are other people thinking the same way :)

Great idea about disabling auto provisioning! I tried to remove my device from OBi but then GV stopped working... I totally forgot about disabling auto provisioning... Will try once I'll be home. Hope GV will keep working.

It's funny - I sent request with the same questions to ObiHai but got no response...

Thanks again!

Quote from: restamp on May 25, 2015, 07:25:36 AM
I experienced the all the same things you have reported, so I would say they are normal... unfortunately.

For #3, you can always back up your configuration locally using the web server on your OBi device.  As azrobert points out, you can later import this into OBiTalk to ensure the two are in sync.  (He suggests using the "OBi Version" of backup when you do this.)  This worked for me, in the sense that after having done so OBiTalk didn't wipe out my existing programming after I then allowed it to update my device, but it was problematic:  The non-default values were marked as "changed" (red exclamation point), but no value was displayed for them while in OBiTalk Expert Mode.

I personally find OBiTalk confusing, especially once I had several devices -- and as you point out, certain functions just don't work for me (always "try again later") -- so I use it to set up GV, after which I disable OBiTalk AutoProvisioning on the device and make my further changes via the device's web interface.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on May 25, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
Hi everybody!

1. GoogleVoice. Looks like now I HAVE TO register my OBi with OBiTALK in order to get GV going... Right? I'm asking because I used to configure my box locally and had it never registered with OBiTALK. Now it's the only way for me to get GV.

2. OBi Expert vs OBiTALK.
Like I said I like to configure box locally. But now I need to do it through OBiTALK. So I logged it and went into Expert mode. I set up all 4 SP. When I went back to simple OBiTALK I didn't see all my SP configured... Is it normal? I assumed that configuring SP in Expert mode should update info into simple mode too...

3. Backup. I tried to back up configuration in Expert mode couple times, but every time system gives me some timeout error and suggests come back later... Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

You must configure Google Voice via the OBiTALK portal, so that the portal can go through the OAUTH 2.0 secure access token exchange procedure with your Google account.

See my complete instructions here: 

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

See Robert's instructions on the optional hybrid approach to using the portal for GV setup, and the local interface for other configuration if you wish:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8685.msg57331#msg57331

That said, this appears to be another one of those weekends where the portal isn't communicating reliably with OBi devices.  Log into your device(s) using their local web page interface.  Look at the Status page, and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, for the status of the OBiTALK service.  If it alternates between "backing off" and "registering", then forget about trying to configure it via the portal; it won't work.  Just wait until Obihai comes back to work and does whatever they do to restart the service again.

I have no idea why this keeps happening, but I have three OBi devices online, and two of the three can't register with the portal this weekend.  As the old saying goes, "do not adjust your set".

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on May 25, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
Hi everybody!

..... ... .... .. .  ..... ... .... .. . 

Thanks in advance!!!

Goldenmeadow,  I received the following from OBihai Support.

Backup Config to OBi Expert - Broke
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Obihai Support Team <support@obihai.com>    Monday, May 25, 2015

There is a known issue with backup at this time, please wait for a
few more weeks while we look into fixing this issue.

It looks like we will have to wait for a while before OBihai fixes the OBiTalk Expert Backup issue.
BigJimMcD

Goldenmeadow

OzarkEdge

Waiting a "few more weeks" for a fix is a good reason not to use OBiTALK Provisioning and its automatic firmware updating, imo.

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: OzarkEdge on May 26, 2015, 12:47:30 PM

Waiting a "few more weeks" for a fix is a good reason not to use OBiTALK Provisioning and its automatic firmware updating, imo.

OE

No it isn't.

The backup function was the only thing that Obihai said would take a "a few more weeks" to resolve.  Don't turn this one issue into a justification for advocating avoiding the portal in general.  The majority of new or basic-needs users are better served by keeping their fingers out of the local interface.

The other portal functions are back up and running today.  Unless someone is a compulsive tweaker, waiting for the occasional weekend portal outage to get fixed is no reason, by itself, to avoid using the portal.