News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinK

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 13, 2017, 02:38:52 PM
If you can just accept this sloppy firmware management, then I can tell you that:

• 5463EX is the latest production firmware build as of today.
  • It is the correct firmware for OBi 200 and 202 models, which use the same firmware builds.
  • You can click the yellow triangle on the portal to install it.
  • After upgrading to this version, if you use the ***6 method, it might offer to install an older build, so don't do that.
  • This is a long-standing issue/complaint, but you are just seeing it now as a new user.  Those of us here on the forum have "lived with it" for years, and it isn't likely to improve.

OK, I don't have much choice, so I will have to accept Obihai's sloppy firmware management.
I can understand the explanation that 5463EX is the latest firmware build, as of 1/13/2017, even though Obihai doesn't mention it anywhere.
I appreciate SteveInWA's explanation that the firmware is the same for the 200 and the 202, I thought it was but it is always good to have an expert agree.

OK, now what I don't understand is how to actually do the update.  ???
I know, it has been explained, and although I haven't followed the instruction to click on the yellow triangle, the reason I haven't is because I tried that before with the other firmware update and it didn't work.

So I tried going to the IP address, which I was able to do,  ;D , I saw the place for updating the firmware, I found the 5463EX file I had downloaded and chose it, went forward with the update process, ... , and the result is I'm still at Build 5264.

I don't know if this is somehow related, but I'm pretty sure my "Hardware Version" went from 1.3 to 1.4, but I don't really know why.

But the software version is definitely 3.1.0 (Build 5264).

So I'm still wondering if I should physically connect the computer with the Obi200, or what it is that I have done wrong.

Thanks for all the help.

LTN1

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 06:35:26 AM
OK, now what I don't understand is how to actually do the update.  ???
I know, it has been explained, and although I haven't followed the instruction to click on the yellow triangle, the reason I haven't is because I tried that before with the other firmware update and it didn't work.

Try clicking the yellow triangle this time to attempt the upgrade that way and see if it will work for you this time. Take the path of least resistance before trying to update manually.

LTN1

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 06:35:26 AM
So I'm still wondering if I should physically connect the computer with the Obi200, or what it is that I have done wrong.

Aren't you already connected to the computer via your router and the OBi device? When you manually log into the OBi device via your local IP address (not the OBiTalk site) and manually update, you would have to browse to select the firmware file that you downloaded (http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5463EX.fw). Are you then able to select that file from your computer? Make sure it is the same file from that particular link.

Attached, is a picture of where you should be before browsing for that firmware that you downloaded on your computer. Did you do all of this?

KevinK

Quote from: LTN1 on January 16, 2017, 07:56:28 AM

Attached, is a picture of where you should be before browsing for that firmware that you downloaded on your computer. Did you do all of this?

Thank you for the attempt to help!

Yes, I am on my computer, wirelessly connected to my router, and at the IP address of the OBI200.

I see the "website" for the OBI200, and I see where it says "Device Update," I get the "Browse" and choose the 5463EX file that I downloaded previously.  I have never clicked on that file or tried to open it, it is a ".fw" file.  I select the "Press Update to Start Process" and "Update."

It then says "Message from webpage" and "Press OK" and "allow a few minutes to complete."  And upon pressing the "OK" button, ... , the little message goes away, and absolutely nothing to indicate that anything has happened, or is happening.

I can immediately start the process over, all the way to the "Press OK" with no indication that an update is in progress.

It says to "allow a few minutes to complete," but nothing ever comes up that it is complete, and checking 30 minutes to an hour later shows the same initial Build 5264.

So it obviously isn't updating anything, but I don't know if it is trying and failing, or if it isn't even trying to do the update in this method.

And, I have had no luck in even more attempts with the update from the ObiTalk dashboard and the yellow triangle / exclamation point.  And now SteveInWA says that may be even detrimental to do, as there's no telling what "update" I'll end up getting!

drgeoff

1. Use your computer's file manager to check the size of the .fw file. It should be 12,839,816 bytes.

2.  Try rebooting the OBi (power down for 15 seconds then power up again) before checking the firmware version.

3.  It is very unlikely that your reported hardware version has changed.

KevinK

YES!  It is exactly 12,839,816, although the size on the disk is 12,840,960.

LTN1

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 08:10:52 AM

It says to "allow a few minutes to complete," but nothing ever comes up that it is complete, and checking 30 minutes to an hour later shows the same initial Build 5264.

So it obviously isn't updating anything, but I don't know if it is trying and failing, or if it isn't even trying to do the update in this method.

And, I have had no luck in even more attempts with the update from the ObiTalk dashboard and the yellow triangle / exclamation point.  And now SteveInWA says that may be even detrimental to do, as there's no telling what "update" I'll end up getting!

When you update, either through the OBiTalk portal or manually, the only indication you will really see is the device going through its flashing and blinking until it is done and the lights are solid again. If you don't see any of that in your attempt to update, there must be a problem with the device itself. How long have you had the device? Are you able to make any calls even without the update?

KevinK

Quote from: LTN1 on January 16, 2017, 08:48:36 AM
Are you able to make any calls even without the update?

I can do the ***1 and get the IP address, and the ***6, which says there are no updates available.  ;)

LTN1

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 10:54:38 AM

I can do the ***1 and get the IP address, and the ***6, which says there are no updates available.  ;)

Have you tried to factory reset your device? If not, it can't hurt any further by trying. If you have saved a previous configuration setting, that would be helpful. If you don't have the settings saved, just start fresh...it shouldn't take too long to re-sign into your Google account.

Factory reset: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

SteveInWA

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 10:54:38 AM

I can do the ***1 and get the IP address, and the ***6, which says there are no updates available.  ;)

How many OBi devices do you have?

Which web browser are you using?

KevinK

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 16, 2017, 12:43:46 PM

How many OBi devices do you have?

Which web browser are you using?

1) One, the Obihai 200, with one phone line in, and only one SP1 setup with Google Voice.  The phone line in is through Bright House (now Spectrum).

2) I am using Internet Explorer 11  (I hear the groans, but it does connect and seems to display the settings fine.)

I never really understood why a complete factory reset was so necessary, since at some point it seems you must get back to where you were in the first place.  I'm not sure if the Build 5264 was the original one or if at some point it was updated, as it seems at some point I may have been able to do it with the ***6.

Thanks for the help.

SteveInWA

Thanks.

So:  you can keep dicking around with this and questioning our advice, or, heed the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson, "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die."  Will you simply follow these instructions?  If not, I'm done.  If so, then:

• Log onto your OBiTALK web portal page.
  • Delete the OBi off of the page.
  • Wait a few minutes for the OBi to finish resetting.  Then, unplug the Ethernet cable and the power cable, leaving the telephone cord plugged in.
  • Plug in only the power cable, not the Ethernet cable, and wait for the OBi to finish booting up.
  • Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8 and then 1 to confirm resetting it to factory defaults.  Wait a good 5 minutes for it to do that.
  • Pull the power plug.  Plug in the Ethernet cable.  Plug in the power plug again, and wait for it to boot up.
  • Pick up the phone and key in ***1 and confirm that your OBi obtained an IP address, in either the 168. range or the 10. range.
  • The OBi should now have a dial tone and an IP address.  Key in **9 222 222 222.  Does it reach the OBiTALK echo test?  If not, stop here and report exactly what happened.  If it did work so far, then:
  • Add the OBi back to your OBiTALK web portal page, using the **5 procedure.
  • If that worked, then read through my post linked below, and follow the instructions carefully.  The post was written for the OBi 1x0 devices, so substitute the firmware file you downloaded earlier for the one in the post.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

Stop here.  Did that work, so far?

KevinK

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 16, 2017, 01:49:14 PM
Will you simply follow these instructions?  If not, I'm done. 

Yes, I will try to follow the instructions.

It will have to wait until later tonight or tomorrow morning though.  I'll also have to try to locate an Ethernet cable, which I hopefully remember where it's at.

I appreciate the help.

LTN1

Quote from: KevinK on January 16, 2017, 01:30:38 PM

1) One, the Obihai 200, with one phone line in, and only one SP1 setup with Google Voice.  The phone line in is through Bright House (now Spectrum).

I'm a bit confused about the Spectrum issue. Is it a Spectrum phone line or a Spectrum phone that you are sticking into the back of the OBi device (where it says phone)?

KevinK

Spectrum are the people who took over Bright House, the local cable/Internet provider here.

I hadn't heard of any major issues since they took over, but I didn't know if some here may know of issues with a specific Internet provider, so I added that information.

SteveInWA

Wait, what?

You should not be connecting your Spectrum phone line to the OBi.  I hope you didn't mean that.

LTN1

OK...so your internet service provider is Spectrum and you are connecting via the ethernet cable from your cable modem to the port in the back of the OBi that says "Internet" and the port that says "Phone," you are just connecting a regular phone. Is that right? If it is, just follow Steve's advice.

Pirate

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 16, 2017, 01:49:14 PM
Thanks.

So:  you can keep dicking around with this and questioning our advice, or, heed the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson, "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die."  Will you simply follow these instructions?  If not, I'm done.  If so, then:

• Log onto your OBiTALK web portal page.
  • Delete the OBi off of the page.
Slight hijack here since OP didn't seem to come back.  I have same issue, 200 with no dial tone.
I factory reset, updated firmware to the EX (page 3), and followed your instructions.  Still no dial tone.  I have green power light, blinking internet light, device is listed in router, but no dial tone so when I pick up known good phone and put in *** anything, nothing happens.  Phone light no lit on obi.  Any more ideas?  thanks.
  • Wait a few minutes for the OBi to finish resetting.  Then, unplug the Ethernet cable and the power cable, leaving the telephone cord plugged in.
  • Plug in only the power cable, not the Ethernet cable, and wait for the OBi to finish booting up.
  • Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8 and then 1 to confirm resetting it to factory defaults.  Wait a good 5 minutes for it to do that.
  • Pull the power plug.  Plug in the Ethernet cable.  Plug in the power plug again, and wait for it to boot up.
  • Pick up the phone and key in ***1 and confirm that your OBi obtained an IP address, in either the 168. range or the 10. range.
  • The OBi should now have a dial tone and an IP address.  Key in **9 222 222 222.  Does it reach the OBiTALK echo test?  If not, stop here and report exactly what happened.  If it did work so far, then:
  • Add the OBi back to your OBiTALK web portal page, using the **5 procedure.
  • If that worked, then read through my post linked below, and follow the instructions carefully.  The post was written for the OBi 1x0 devices, so substitute the firmware file you downloaded earlier for the one in the post.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

Stop here.  Did that work, so far?

Hey, OP didn't seem to come back so I'll hijack this thread with same issue, 200 with no dial tone.
I followed you steps, amonst others, and still no dial tone.  Factory reset, device listed in router, firmware update (page 3), known good phone, device removed from obitalk, etc.  Still no dial tone.  This device was working perfect for past couple of years then today, poof, no dial tone.  So, I can't try and add device because no dial tone.  Power light green, internet light flashing green, phone light nothing.  Any more ideas?  Thanks.

LTN1

Quote from: Pirate on January 16, 2017, 04:45:55 PM
This device was working perfect for past couple of years then today, poof, no dial tone.  So, I can't try and add device because no dial tone.  Power light green, internet light flashing green, phone light nothing.  Any more ideas?  Thanks.

Just to rule out that there are no problems with the phone...can you plug in any other analog phones for testing?

Pirate

I did unplug my normal office phone and gathered my emergency old school phone, which I am using to test.  I verified it is good on another line unrelated to my obi device/setup.