News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurizio

+1 Same issue here with Obi 200, sp4 and Google Voice account.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: lrosenman on May 26, 2015, 02:11:17 PM
ObiHai support -- Release Notes??
Yeah.. nothing from ObiHai.

Backup of device showed some new XML elements (related to Nest?):
Device.MiscFeature.Nest.
- NotifyNumber
- NotifyPeriodic
- NotifyEmail
- SmsServiceProvider
- SMSNotify
- EmailNotify
- CallNotify

andOriginatingSeizurePolarity
TerminatingSeizurePolarity

Ostracus

Quote from: corporate_gadfly on June 20, 2015, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: lrosenman on May 26, 2015, 02:11:17 PM
ObiHai support -- Release Notes??
Yeah.. nothing from ObiHai.

Backup of device showed some new XML elements (related to Nest?):
Device.MiscFeature.Nest.
- NotifyNumber
- NotifyPeriodic
- NotifyEmail
- SmsServiceProvider
- SMSNotify
- EmailNotify
- CallNotify

andOriginatingSeizurePolarity
TerminatingSeizurePolarity

Looks interesting though. Could be useful for other purposes.

DrJay

Here are my personal rules for OBiHAI firmware updates. They have served me well for years. YMMV.

1. If there are no detailed release notes ("misc. bug fixes" is not detailed), I don't update.
2. If there are detailed release notes and I don't have any of the problems that the new release fixes, I don't update.
3. If there are detailed release notes and there are no new features that add real value for me, I don't update.

I can stare at a yellow triangle for months and months without any effect on my pulse or blood pressure.  :P

WelshPaul

Quote from: DrJay on June 24, 2015, 07:28:38 AMI can stare at a yellow triangle for months and months without any effect on my pulse or blood pressure.  :P
You my friend will live a long and happy life.  ;D
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

RFC3261

Quote from: DrJay on June 24, 2015, 07:28:38 AM
Here are my personal rules for OBiHAI firmware updates. They have served me well for years. YMMV.

I believe the only really important rule (for all upgrades, whether they be iOS, Windows, or Obi) is:

0) If you do not have a spare "test mule" device (and many on this forum do, but many do not) and the device is "production" and working well, never, ever, be the first to upgrade.  Let others take the plunge and report failures.  Anecdotal reports of disaster should be discounted ("stuff" happens), but if there is a rash of complaints, wait for the issues to be understood, resolved, or workarounds provided.

Of course, if everyone waited until someone else tested first there would be no way forward, but there are always those who will serve as a vendors testers (whether they know they are guinea pigs or not).

restamp

The last I heard, 4738 was the latest firmware for the 200 and 202 ATAs.  I am sticking with 4581 for now, based on several reports of some things not working correctly (for instance, SP4 configurations breaking) on the 4738 firmware.  But this begs the question:  What if I want to add a GV account to my device or change a GV password today?  I need to be on 4738 to do so, right?

So, what's the resolution:  Upgrade, change GV, downgrade?  Unfortunately, the ins-and-outs of configuring these OBis have become anything but simple since OBiHAI started changing the rules of the game, and what's to prevent them from issuing a future firmware update which prevents downgrading?  I really like the self-contained nature of GV under these OBis, but Ryan Tilton's OAUTH2.0 under Asterisk is looking more-and-more desirable as things progress.

SteveInWA

Reports of 4738 "breaking" GV configuration functionality proved to be incorrect.  The root cause was attempting to use the portal to configure an out-of-warranty device, when it had a down-level version of the firmware, and being told to purchase support to continue.  You can simply upgrade the firmware manually/locally, and then return to the portal to continue the GV setup process.  I've successfully tested this on two 200s and a 202 without issue.

More details on the procedure:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.0

RFC3261

Quote from: restamp on June 24, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
... and what's to prevent them from issuing a future firmware update which ...
The honest answer is nothing prevents them from issuing a firmware update that does anything (well, achieving world peace is probably beyond their capabilities).  Or if they choose (and this would seem to me to be more likely at some point), simply stop issuing firmware updates (and support) completely for their older devices.

But FUD will rarely serve you well.

One must remember that this forum is going to attract those with problems, and issues.  For any update/change, there will be some which encounter problems.  As we have seen to this point, sometimes there are workarounds, and sometimes "stuff happens" to a particular device (there is a small percentage of iPhone bricking too at every iOS upgrade).

zorlac

I can stare at a yellow triangle for months and months without any effect on my pulse or blood pressure.  :P
OK, so what FW version are you currently running?
I want to download & save the older FW versions that work while it's still possible.  :-\

DrJay

Quote from: zorlac on June 25, 2015, 11:32:10 PM
 :P
OK, so what FW version are you currently running?
I want to download & save the older FW versions that work while it's still possible.  :-\

I am currently enjoying a bottle of OBiHAI 3.0.1 (Build: 4609). It's a full-bodied release with delightful notes of copper and polystyrene and just the slightest hint of ozone.

It pairs well with the bold flavors of DECT 6.0 cordless phones and even an occasional Samsung analog multifunction printer. The label doesn't suggest a serving temperature but I find it is best served between 22 and 26 degrees Celsius.

Cheers!

restamp

Is the latest firmware for the Obi20X devices still 4738 or has something newer been issued?

Aside from installing it, how do we find out what the latest firmware release is?

Have any release notes defining the firmware changes/fixes been released since 4581?

Does anyone know of anything that the latest firmware actually fixes?  Breaks?

TIA

evergreen

I took the plunge and updated to build 3748 and sp1 to sp4 are working just fine on an Obi202.  I just wanted to report back as I want to move away from reporting only when things go south.  Cheers.

SteveInWA

Quote from: evergreen on August 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM
I took the plunge and updated to build 3748 and sp1 to sp4 are working just fine on an Obi202.  I just wanted to report back as I want to move away from reporting only when things go south.  Cheers.

A high five to you, for reporting a smooth upgrade.  Enjoy!

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: evergreen on August 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM
I took the plunge and updated to build 3748
Transposed more than a few letters there. I have the latest firmware as 4738.

Interestingly, OBiHai has managed to squeeze more from less number of bytes in the firmware. Dating back to October 2012, the firmware has been approx. 13MB in size. I.e., all the way until 4581. The 4738 firmware is 10M.

Go figure.
size: 10958100
md5sum: 5aa19e2d5d8a14c188b2a47d92bd2f25

Taoman

Software version level: 3.1.0 (Build: 5264)

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5264.fw

chicobiker

Let my 200 do the automatic update today for 5264 with no issues so far. Just FYI.

restamp

Actually, the correct link to the 3.1.0 (Build: 5264) firmware is

Taoman

Quote from: restamp on May 15, 2016, 12:01:17 AM
Actually, the correct link to the 3.1.0 (Build: 5264) firmware is

Thanks for the correction, restamp. That'll teach me to copy and paste. Maybe.  ;)