News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcinaz

Quote from: Mark_M on July 03, 2018, 07:20:41 PM
Last night my OBi202 upgraded to 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) and I could no longer make or receive phone calls with PhonePower. Google Voice still worked though.

Weird. My OBI202 was also upgraded to to 5897EX this week, and that was when problems started. However, my issue is just opposite yours.  Both outgoing and incoming calls via Phonepower work fine.  GV calls, not so fine.

On my OBI202, SP2 is Phonepower. SP1 and SP3 are GV numbers. Both SP1 and SP3 say "connected" in the obitalk dashboard.

Since 5897EX was auto-installed the past week, SP1 and SP3 now work only with VOIP callees. The same problem occurs with both cell phones and landlines: The call connects. Other party can hear us loud and clear. Transmission the other way is dead silence. 

Both GV SIP profiles worked fine on build 5859.  For example:
Call dialed on 6/25 via SP3 to an Area 591 land line lasted 65 minutes, perfectly clear the whole time.
Call dialed on 6/26 via SP3 to an Area 949 cell phone lasted 59 minutes, perfectly clear the whole time.
(My wife tends to talk a long time to her sister and another friend)

I called my wife's cell this morning (she was at the grocery) on SP3, after first calling on SP2 to arrange for the test.  The SP2 call was perfect, of course, as always.  On the call from the SP3 number, she answered, could hear me, but I couldn't hear anything. Then I changed the speed dial setting from SP3 to SP1, and called again. Changing the speed dial settings and saving them on obitalk has a side effect of resetting the RTP statistics page, so I could see statistics for exactly that one call.  The RTP statistics on SP1 from that 30 second call:

PacketsSent  1561
PacketsReceived  1534
BytesSent  268492
BytesReceived  186728
PacketsLost  0
Overruns   0
Underruns  0

Observations: 
1. Obviously, there is incoming traffic, as indicated by the stats.
2. Obviously, the OBI202 is not translating the incoming packets into audible voice.
3. The issue only affects packets coming from non-VOIP sources. (Called  1-800-437-7950 and it answers and repeats your calling number.  No problems.)
4. Both GV numbers worked in June, but don't work since the latest FW build.   

One final observation, I just realized today that my router has had SIP ALG enabled for three years. (Default setting) We used PhonePower on the OBI both before and after this modem was installed. There has never been any issue that I am aware of in the entire 3 years of use. ALG was clearly enabled in June when the two one-hour conversations occurred. However, I turned it off today and rebooted the router to see if that was the issue. No joy. Changing the router ALG setting had no effect whatsoever.

I really don't want to get into manual FW loads. Is there a way to tell obitalk to reload the previous FW build into the OBI? 

Convince

Quote from: Chriv on July 04, 2018, 02:55:04 PM
I got it working.

I disabled the firmware provisioning on the Obi200 box. Then, I did the provisioning from the Obitalk Account web page.

Once it provisioned, I saw that the Obitalk device was checked on the Google Voice legacy page.

Then, it automatically updated the firmware to 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX).

I have since disabled all provisioning on the local Obi200 box.

Google Voice is working.

Many thanks to GPz1100.

I'm having a similar problem though GV shows my Obi200 number and it's checked.

Firmware provisioning is disabled according to my account - does that mean it's disabled on the box?
And, how do you provision from the account page? I read something about using the expert settings and finding
provisioning under "system management -> update device" but I have nothing like that on my account.

lrosenman

Looks like they pulled the buggy 5897EX version sometime within the last hour or 2, my 202 went back to:
3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)

mrcinaz

Quote from: lrosenman on July 06, 2018, 03:25:49 PM
Looks like they pulled the buggy 5897EX version sometime within the last hour or 2, my 202 went back to:

Interesting. Half an hour ago I decided to do a manual firmware update myself, downloaded from:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw

That did the trick!

After it rebooted itself, I went to the auto provisioning page and set Obitalk provisioning to Disabled. 
Nothing else.  No resets, no reconfigurations, nada.  Just loaded the last firmware that was working. Problem solved. Everything now works!

Maybe in a month or two will check back to see if a "fully tested" firmware update has been added. (Like no complaints from anybody for a few weeks)  Learned my lesson. Pioneers take the arrows. LOL.

RFC3261

Quote from: lrosenman on July 06, 2018, 03:25:49 PM
Interestingly, my Obi went to 5898EX (increment by one from 5897EX?)  Still seems to work incoming and outgoing.

lrosenman

Rebooted my 202 by power pull.  Now on 5898EX as well.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInUS on July 07, 2018, 11:29:33 AM
On all my 4 OBi200's with GoogleVoice

3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) - Works fine, no audio issues. :)
3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) - Does not work - I do not get dial tone. ???
3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) - Does not work - I do not get dial tone. ???

I reverted back to 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) but they keep updating it back to 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

not sure why obihai/polycom auto deploys untested firmware and causes us pain.
even with new acquisition the trend has not changed.  :'(
Please confirm that the OBis with no dial tone when running 5897 or 5898 do give dial tone again if you revert them to 5859.

DineHome

Quote from: drgeoff on July 07, 2018, 01:02:14 PM
Please confirm that the OBis with no dial tone when running 5897 or 5898 do give dial tone again if you revert them to 5859.

This is correct. After spending many hours trying to get two different OBi200 devices to work again, the fix was to manually revert to the 5859 firmware.

drgeoff

Quote from: DineHome on July 07, 2018, 04:33:01 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 07, 2018, 01:02:14 PM

This is correct. After spending many hours trying to get two different OBi200 devices to work again, the fix was to manually revert to the 5859 firmware.
I'd like to be quite certain.  Are you confirming SteveInUS's post that changing firmware between the versions he mentioned can make dial tone appear and disappear on OBi20x devices?  Or are you merely saying that you had GV problems which go away when using 5859 firmware?

a1b2

Obi200, fw 3.2.1 a few days ago stopped receiving audio. Enabled auto fw update, multiple reboots still stuck on 3.2.1.
Manually installed fw 3.2.2 5859- same issue. What worked for me:

Factory reset device from web gui. Removed device from Obi portal, added device back to portal, configured GV via portal, tested good on fw 3.2.2 5859. Device updated to 5898EX- tested good again, disabled all auto/portal updates.

DineHome

Quote from: drgeoff on July 08, 2018, 07:36:20 AM
I'd like to be quite certain.  Are you confirming SteveInUS's post that changing firmware between the versions he mentioned can make dial tone appear and disappear on OBi20x devices?  Or are you merely saying that you had GV problems which go away when using 5859 firmware?

I have two OBi202 devices. GV dialtone disappeared on both of them. I tried EVERYTHING to get it back, and the only way was to manually roll back the firmware to 5859 and turn of auto provisioning so it doesn't update. I'm assuming the dialtone would disappear again if it did.

drgeoff

Quote from: DineHome on July 08, 2018, 01:38:20 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 08, 2018, 07:36:20 AM

I have two OBi202 devices. GV dialtone disappeared on both of them. I tried EVERYTHING to get it back, and the only way was to manually roll back the firmware to 5859 and turn of auto provisioning so it doesn't update. I'm assuming the dialtone would disappear again if it did.
There is no such thing as "GV dialtone". The dialtone you hear when taking the phone off-hook is generated by the OBi device. A properly working, powered OBi gives dial tone irrespective of having any Service Provider configured or not. It should give dialtone even without being connected to a network.

CaptainSteubing

Quote from: PA345NH on July 09, 2018, 09:15:37 AM
Please provide URL for Obi202 firmware version 3.2.2 (Build: 5898) for offline upgrades.  Thank you very much.

I found this earlier in this thread.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw

I've downgraded from 5898EX to 5859EX because my Obi202 Phone Ports no longer were generating dialtone. Connections to Asterisk PBX and GV seemed OK.

I'll confirm whether this downgrade works later this evening as I did it remotely.

To make it sticky until a fix is released, I've disabled Auto Provisioning & ObiTalk Provisioning temporarily:

System Management/Auto Provisioning/Auto Firmware Update/Method = Disabled
System Management/Auto Provisioning/ObiTalk Provisioning/Method = Disabled

I'd venture to say that Polyhai has released a firmware that borked a number of devices, which doesn't make me happy.  >:(

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInUS on July 09, 2018, 04:09:14 PM
I had no dialtone on my obi200 after it got automatically upgraded to 5898

Today I followed these steps on one of my OBi200 and the dialtone issue got fixed ::)
1) kept power and network plugged
2) deleted the obi200 from obitalk
3) waited for the obi200 to reset on its own
4) manually reset the obi200 via reset button
5) added the obi200 back to obitalk
6) added googlevoice

I will do the same for my other obi200's after I am sure it works and is stable for sometime
Before doing that it would be informative if you would do the following on one of the OBi200s with no dial tone.

1.  Does the PHONE LED flash when you take the phone off-hook?

2.  Log in to the local configuration interface.  Click on Status, then on Phone Status.  With the phone on-hook what values are shown for VBAT and TipRingVoltage?

SergeS

I have a more generic question - where can I find info or a direct URl to manualy download and install the latest firmware - as far as I understood it is 5898EX now I would like to try to fix the one way audio problem I currently have with GV.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInUS on July 10, 2018, 09:45:13 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2018, 03:49:43 AM
Before doing that it would be informative if you would do the following on one of the OBi200s with no dial tone.

1.  Does the PHONE LED flash when you take the phone off-hook?

2.  Log in to the local configuration interface.  Click on Status, then on Phone Status.  With the phone on-hook what values are shown for VBAT and TipRingVoltage?

------
VBAT   55 V (11.7 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V

-----
VBAT   55 V (11.6 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V
Thanks for that - those values are normal and you will find the same or almost the same ones when you change firmware and dial tone returns. 

This lack of dial tone is different from those encountered previously where those values are zero, abnormally low or even blank.

Freshmaker

I have been having an issue for a couple of weeks where certain numbers will ring once or twice and then there is silence when dialing out from my OBI200 using Google Voice. I had first assumed it was an issue on the receiver's end, but then I started thinking maybe it was a GV issue. Eventually I tried dialing using GV on my cellphone and those numbers worked. That led me to start looking into OBI issues and is what brought me to this thread.

I upgraded to 5898EX and that did not fix the issue. Finally I downgraded to 5859EX per suggestions in this thread, but I am still having the issue (previously I was on 5757 -- I think -- when this issue started).

I am seeing discussion of "no dial tone" a lot in this thread, but not being able to place calls that immediately get disconnected. Is that what "no dial tone" means in this thread, or truly no dial tone when taking the receiver off hook?

Here are a couple of phone numbers that I had issues with (CareNow urgent care):

844-422-3627
972-745-7500

It is interesting that if I try calling either of these numbers, or any of the numbers for the local locations, I have this issue. I'd be interested if others are having problems dialing these numbers using GV with OBI, but can call successfully using GV through other clients.

scott818

Quote from: Freshmaker on July 11, 2018, 01:05:44 PM
I have been having an issue for a couple of weeks where certain numbers will ring once or twice and then there is silence when dialing out from my OBI200 using Google Voice. I had first assumed it was an issue on the receiver's end, but then I started thinking maybe it was a GV issue. Eventually I tried dialing using GV on my cellphone and those numbers worked. That led me to start looking into OBI issues and is what brought me to this thread.

I upgraded to 5898EX and that did not fix the issue. Finally I downgraded to 5859EX per suggestions in this thread, but I am still having the issue (previously I was on 5757 -- I think -- when this issue started).

I am seeing discussion of "no dial tone" a lot in this thread, but not being able to place calls that immediately get disconnected. Is that what "no dial tone" means in this thread, or truly no dial tone when taking the receiver off hook?

Here are a couple of phone numbers that I had issues with (CareNow urgent care):

844-422-3627
972-745-7500

It is interesting that if I try calling either of these numbers, or any of the numbers for the local locations, I have this issue. I'd be interested if others are having problems dialing these numbers using GV with OBI, but can call successfully using GV through other clients.

I had the same problem and dealt with it today. In my case, it seemed it was only happening with toll-free numbers. The only way I was able to fix it was by deleting the device from the OBi dashboard, performing a factory reset on the OBi device, and then setting it up again from scratch.

LTN1

I've been following the latest firmware issues but am wondering if it only affects a small percentage of OBi users?

I am currently on 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) and have had no calling issues at all. I have been waiting for the system to upgrade to Build 5898 but nothing yet.

RFC3261

Quote from: LTN1 on July 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
I've been following the latest firmware issues but am wondering if it only affects a small percentage of OBi users?
I think there is certainly evidence that it effect some users.  It never affected me, apparently SteveInWa, or you.  What is the difference between working and not?  No one knows for sure, but my guess would be some crappy consumer gateways or configurations (further guess is that it is caused by gateway NAT translation timeouts, which do vary by device and configuration).  The 5898 upgrade apparently fixes it (and if my further out guess is correct, it does so by sending packets more often to keep the translations active).

If you reboot your device (and have not disabled the various provisioning settings) you likely will get upgraded automatically (reboot, and then upgrade, and then reboot again).  That is how I happened to get it (I was doing some other changes, and the device restarted, and then I noticed it flashed its lights in the firmware update sort of way, and rebooted again with the new firmware).