News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls suddenly prematurely disconnecting - OBi110

Started by JemW, September 30, 2019, 04:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemW

Hi,

I'm still using an OBi110 in the UK as there doesn't seem to be an alternative currently and all has been working well as it has been for several years. I'm using a standard Siemens handset to make outgoing VOIP calls via Voipcheap which has been reliable, until very recently. Some, not all, calls have been disconnecting at 10 minutes and 1 second. Most of our outgoing calls are international. Redialling works but the call again promptly disconnects after 10 minutes. Raised a ticket with Voipcheap and they asked me to make sure the STUN server was disabled which it is. Just hoping for some other suggestions.

EDIT: Or is it some Session Timer setting somewhere that's gone screwy...?

Thanks.

ProfTech

This is a long shot as I don't have any experience with international calling but I will give you a possibility. I had a case where one of my service providers was dropping calls at 15 minutes. All indications were that it was due to session timers and it seemed they do not work correctly in the 110. So I enabled keepalives under the SPn settings and set X_KeepAliveExpires to 14 minutes. My relative has been using that provider for about 4 years now without issue. So you might enable keepalives and set them for around 9 minutes and try it. Simple change, no danger.

JemW

Thank you very much. I had actually ticked that setting yesterday and then disabled it as I was trying too many things at once (fatal) and just confused myself! I've now done precisely as you suggest so we'll see on the next call. I'll let you know what happens! Just wish Polycom hadn't backed out of the UK market with these (newer) ATA's. I'd really like to upgrade but I'm nervous of doing it with no UK support. I was beginning to look at alternatives like the Grandstream HT813.

ProfTech

Once again, I am only guessing but I wouldn't expect any difference between the US version of the "new" Polycom 200 and the UK version (if one existed) except for the power supply itself. If you could make sure you have a 12 volt adapter with the correct plug and correct polarity I would guess that it would probably work. "Your mileage may vary".  ;)

JemW

Quote from: ProfTech on October 01, 2019, 08:23:10 AM
This is a long shot as I don't have any experience with international calling but I will give you a possibility. I had a case where one of my service providers was dropping calls at 15 minutes. All indications were that it was due to session timers and it seemed they do not work correctly in the 110. So I enabled keepalives under the SPn settings and set X_KeepAliveExpires to 14 minutes. My relative has been using that provider for about 4 years now without issue. So you might enable keepalives and set them for around 9 minutes and try it. Simple change, no danger.

I did exactly as you suggested but unfortunately it hasn't worked. Calls this evening cut off at 10 minutes 11 seconds. Same number, just redialling to continue the call when it cuts off. I'd be grateful for any other ideas you might have.

Thanks.

ProfTech

Unfortunately, not really. Have you made any recent changes to your system? New router or new modem? I am reluctant to suggest it, but the 200 may have updated session timer settings / operation. Are you still using the POTS line of the 110? That would mean you would need the 212. What version software are you running in the 110? I think 2872 was the last version.

drgeoff

Quote from: ProfTech on October 07, 2019, 03:11:16 PM
Unfortunately, not really. Have you made any recent changes to your system? New router or new modem? I am reluctant to suggest it, but the 200 may have updated session timer settings / operation. Are you still using the POTS line of the 110? That would mean you would need the 212. What version software are you running in the 110? I think 2872 was the last version.
No, 2886 is the final version.

JemW

I have 2886. Yes, I use the POTS line for some calls and no recent changes to any other equipment. I've wanted the 212 for some time but was concerned about Polycom/Obihai seemingly backing out from the UK market and the need to buy one from the US. In any case I understand the 312 is now out (or will be) but I'm still left wondering how much, if any, support will be available to get any replacement configured and working correctly in the UK. I've had no definitive answer as yet from Voipcheap as to whether anything has changed at their end and, to be honest, I really don't expect to get one. That makes it difficult to decide what to next - replace the 100 with 'something else' and/or find another VOIP service provider - so far I can't identify one that offers a similar service that isn't owned by the same company!

ProfTech

I saw your post from a while ago where you said you were looking at a Grandstream box. I looked it up and it looks interesting. I would recommend you do a lot of checking before you consider a 312. My understanding is the entire 3xx series is sold/supplied only by a provider and each unit is tied to that provider and can't be used any other way. I'm just saying to check it out before spending any money. In the worst case I would look for another provider but that could be a lot of trouble as well.

Good luck  :(

drgeoff

The 300 series models are the same hardware and firmware as the 200 series equivalents except that they don't support Google Voice. As such the 300s are targetted at ITSPs who wish to offer ATAs to their customers.

That 312 is a higher number than 212 does not mean that an OBi312 is better than an OBi212.

JemW

I had a response from Voipcheap! They told me they had 'removed providers from the route to Iceland which they believed were responsible for cutting the calls short' and asked me to wait for a couple of hours before trying again. My wife is currently on a call to Iceland which has lasted for around 25 minutes so far, so I seem to have a solution which is thankfully nothing to do with the OBi110. I'm still pondering whether to risk going for a 212 but I'd need one with a UK adaptor and also know that I could get help here with configuring it. That's the sticking point really and I'm therefore still tempted by the new Grandstream HT813. In the meantime, thanks to all for helping me troubleshoot.

drgeoff

Quote from: JemW on October 08, 2019, 01:29:21 PMI'm still pondering whether to risk going for a 212 but I'd need one with a UK adaptor and also know that I could get help here with configuring it.
The PSU you are currently using with your 110 is perfectly suitable for a 212.  The US version PSUs are 100-240 volt 50/60Hz.  Just need a plug adaptor for 3 pin UK socket.

Configuring a 212 should not be a problem.  It is basically a hybrid of an OBi202 and an OBi110.

CALYTA

Quote from: JemW on October 01, 2019, 09:18:07 AM
Thank you very much. I had actually ticked that setting yesterday and then disabled it as I was trying too many things at once (fatal) and just  filezilla uc browser rufus confused myself! I've now done precisely as you suggest so we'll see on the next call. I'll let you know what happens! Just wish Polycom hadn't backed out of the UK market with these (newer) ATA's. I'd really like to upgrade but I'm nervous of doing it with no UK support. I was beginning to look at alternatives like the Grandstream HT813.
are international. Redialling works but the call again promptly disconnects after 10 minutes. Raised a ticket with Voipcheap and they asked me to make sure the STUN server was disabled which it is. Just hoping for some other suggestions.