News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi2182

Started by dircom, November 04, 2017, 07:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

Any info yet on new products   OBi2062, OBi2162,   OBi2182
(Saw a blurb on OBihai via https://twitter.com/Obihai

drgeoff

New phones?  Maybe the 10x2 models are to be discontinued.  All three 10x2 phones have been very heavily discounted by Amazon UK these last few months.
1022 from £149 to £89
1032 from £179 to £109
1062 from £249 to £129

Or maybe the 10x2 models will remain and the 2062, 2162 and 2182 will be pitched at lower or higher market segments.

All speculation.  We'll know when we know!

Update:
A brief mention in http://www.sangoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/distriwan-renforce-son-catalogue-avec-sangoma.pdf.  The date at bottom left is cropped but the only month that ends "rier" in French is Fevrier - February 2017.

The sentence in French "Parmi les produits proposes on signalera le tout nouvea OBi2182, une poste professionnel integrant Bluetooth comme WiFi et compatible PoE."

In English that means "Among the products on offer is the brand new OBi2182, a workstation integrating Bluetooth as WiFi and PoE compatible." Sounds pretty much like the existing 1062.

SteveInWA

Sorry that I couldn't discuss this sooner:

Yes!  Obihai will be rolling out an updated IP phone product line, with several new models.  They are currently in use by a couple of service providers and their customers.  Retail sales might start around January.  Functionally, they're very similar to the existing models, with an expanded choice of models, depending on the number of feature buttons and lines supported.

I've been testing the new 2182 model for a couple of weeks.  It's got a handsome (at least to me) new industrial design, with a textured charcoal grey face and a wrap-around metal band for accent, on the base and on the handset.  It has a wide screen with two columns of six programmable soft keys.  The base has a dedicated column of hard keys to perform various telephony functions like hold, transfer, contact list, DND, etc.  It has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, and is compatible with professional-class headsets with electronic hook switch.  Power over Ethernet is also supported.

The menus are very similar to the existing 10x2 product line, with 4 pages of soft-key assignments for each side of the display.  It can support up to six Service Provider (SP1-SP6) configurations, including Google Voice.

Sound quality via the speaker phone is outstanding, as with the handset or headset.  HD Voice is supported.

There will be other models with fewer buttons at lower cost.  I don't have any information to share on those other models.

Sorry, but no documentation/manuals/spec sheets are available yet, but I've attached a stock photo of the 2182 below.

SteveInWA

Limited quantities of the three models of the new OBi 2000 series IP phones are now available for sale on Amazon.  A full product launch with documentation will follow by the end of the year.

OBi 2062:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KFQYTZ

OBi 2162:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JYGZ3C

OBi 2182:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JKV5CL

Product features (and thus, the differences between the three products) are described in the Amazon listings.  Of note, the 2062 "entry level" model is very similar to the 2162, but it does not include built-in WiFi and Bluetooth support.

Marc

Steve,

I was an early adopter of the 10x2 line for both myself and eventually a number of my clients.  I have loved these phones and the sound quality is so good, I gave up my cordless phone system.  (I do wish Obihai would come out with a cordless system... any word on whether they are working on or even thinking about it?  An add-on similar to the sidecar would be one way to go.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if in your experience with the 2xx2 phone(s) if you've noticed any difference in sound quality?  Not sure if you are allowed to speak on this, but if you were to mention just 1 or 2 valuable changes, besides the additional lines, of the 21x2 over the 1062, what would they be?

Thanks for your help.  I can't help but order one because I love my toys and have to first work with any item I end up recommending to clients.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

SteveInWA

Hi Marc:

Now that the 2000 series is for sale, it's not confidential; hence my posts.  Obihai would be better equipped to list the differences -- what I know is mainly just from using the 2182 for a month or two (can't remember when I got it). 

I'd say that the underlying hardware and firmware architecture is the same or very similar to the 1000 series, and this is mainly an "industrial design" update.  In other words, it does everything the same as the previous series, made with nicer looking, high-quality materials, and with new, dedicated function keys for frequently-used commands.  The screen is bigger and wider, with rows of programmable softkeys on both the left and right sides of the screen.  The dedicated keys on the right, below the softkeys include clearly-marked keys for voicemail, volume, and for using the headset or speakerphone.

I had no trouble setting it up with my Jabra PRO 9470 headset with EHS, and the operational glitches of the early headset support on the 1000s are gone.

I am using mine with its built-in 5Gbps WiFi adapter, which also works very well.

Sound quality is outstanding, regardless of whether I'm using the handset, headset or speaker.  I didn't do any comparison to the 1000 series as far as audio quality, to be able to say if it would be better, since the 1000 series is also excellent.

One hardware change is that the Ethernet ports (inbound from the switch, and outbound to a downstream device such as a computer) are now gigabit speed, so there's no performance hit from using the phone's extra port.

For your purposes, I'd see it as simply the next-gen replacement for the 1000 series, which can do everything the old models did, with improved looks, ergonomics and button layout.

Logan

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I felt it was appropriate to do so. When I googled "obi1062 vs obi2182", this thread came up. Posting a new thread does not seem appropriate.

I'd like to add some difference that I've noticed for anybody interested.

Pros (of OBi2182 over the OBi1062):
1. The keys on the OBi2182 are much higher quality. The best way I can describe this is telling you the issue I ran into daily on my OBi1062. Whenever I hit the keys on this phone, if I was trying to dial 123-456-7890... if I didn't concentrate on typing the keys in, I would always end up pressing one key more than once.... for example 123-4456-7890, resulting in a wrong number. Whenever I focused on typing the keys in, I'd have that same result of pressing 1 key more than once probably 1 out of 8 times. Yes, this was likely user error, but it was due to the sensitivity/quality of the keys. I do not have that issue with the OBi2182.
2. The feel of the OBi2182 has a much higher quality feel to it. It's difficult to put in words. It just feels solid and well manufactured.

Cons (of OBi2182 over the OBi1062):
1. The OBi2182 does not have the 8 keys on the right side of the phone that could be used for speed dials. Instead, you have to program them to the speed dials on the screen, which is not a big deal, but you can only program 6 on the first page, as opposed to 8. In order to accomplish this, I had to move my phone lines to the left side of the screen, which isn't an option on the OBi1062, but I never had a need on the OBi1062 either. Being right-handed, it's slightly less comfortable to select a phone line now from the left side of the screen than the right. I'm not complaining because the phone is amazing. Just highlighting this info for anybody interested in difference between the two phones.

I've had the OBi2182 for less than 24 hours at this point, so I don't have much more to report. I will "EDIT" and update this post if I come across any other items worth mentioning. So far, the OBi2182 is an excellent phone, but so is the OBi1062. I'd recommend the OBi2182 over the OBi1062 at this point simply because of the key quality and the high quality feel of the phone. That being said, the OBi1062 is still an excellent phone and anybody that owns one is going to be happy with it.

Disclaimer: I'm an end-user and have no financial stake in OBi products, services or the overall company. My only stake in them is my phone using their service.

EDIT 2019-10-08: After a few more days of use, I am still highly satisfied with the OBi2182. The overall feel of this phone is so high quality that I think about it every time I use it. As SteveInWA mentioned, the sound quality sounds exactly the same between the OBi1062 and OBi2182. I will say that I haven't put the two phones next to each other in an attempt to notice the sound quality difference, if there is any because the sound quality on both is so good that if there is any difference, I wouldn't care about it.

I will point out one issue that I've noticed and I'm not sure if it's a user error, hardware error or GV error... I'm guessing it's a hardware issue with either my phone or the headset. I will say though, my old OBi1062 had this same issue. I use a Jabra GN 9125 and OBiEHS along with the OBi1062 and OBi2182. On a guess, probably 1 out of 20 calls, when I dial out and put my headset on, there will be no audio through my ear piece. People on the other end of the line can hear me if they pick up before I notice the problem. All I have to do to get around this issue is hit the "speaker phone" button on the phone and then click back to "headset". Again, both phones do this and it doesn't bother me because it's easy to resolve, but it may bother somebody else.

SteveInWA

Thanks for the write-up.

With regard to the 2182's soft keys, in case you didn't figure it out, you can program up to four "pages" of actions for the right-side keys and for the left-side keys, for a total of 48 actions.  The "next page" key is the round key with the three dots (ellipsis).  You can also set how many pages will display as you cycle through the keys, via the OBiTALK dashboard, in expert configuration mode.

Marc

Thanks for the info.  I'm about to order a few 2182s.  Wish Obi had a cordless DECT phone also.

Quote from: Logan on October 04, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I felt it was appropriate to do so. When I googled "obi1062 vs obi2182", this thread came up. Posting a new thread does not seem appropriate.

I'd like to add some difference that I've noticed for anybody interested.

Pros (of OBi2182 over the OBi1062):
1. The keys on the OBi2182 are much higher quality. The best way I can describe this is telling you the issue I ran into daily on my OBi1062. Whenever I hit the keys on this phone, if I was trying to dial 123-456-7890... if I didn't concentrate on typing the keys in, I would always end up pressing one key more than once.... for example 123-4456-7890, resulting in a wrong number. Whenever I focused on typing the keys in, I'd have that same result of pressing 1 key more than once probably 1 out of 8 times. Yes, this was likely user error, but it was due to the sensitivity/quality of the keys. I do not have that issue with the OBi2182.
2. The feel of the OBi2182 has a much higher quality feel to it. It's difficult to put in words. It just feels solid and well manufactured.

Cons (of OBi2182 over the OBi1062):
1. The OBi2182 does not have the 8 keys on the right side of the phone that could be used for speed dials. Instead, you have to program them to the speed dials on the screen, which is not a big deal, but you can only program 6 on the first page, as opposed to 8. In order to accomplish this, I had to move my phone lines to the left side of the screen, which isn't an option on the OBi1062, but I never had a need on the OBi1062 either. Being right-handed, it's slightly less comfortable to select a phone line now from the left side of the screen than the right. I'm not complaining because the phone is amazing. Just highlighting this info for anybody interested in difference between the two phones.

I've had the OBi2182 for less than 24 hours at this point, so I don't have much more to report. I will "EDIT" and update this post if I come across any other items worth mentioning. So far, the OBi2182 is an excellent phone, but so is the OBi1062. I'd recommend the OBi2182 over the OBi1062 at this point simply because of the key quality and the high quality feel of the phone. That being said, the OBi1062 is still an excellent phone and anybody that owns one is going to be happy with it.

Disclaimer: I'm an end-user and have no financial stake in OBi products, services or the overall company. My only stake in them is my phone using their service.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

dircom

"The OBi2182 is a business-class color IP phone with support for up to 48 lines and up to six SIP, Google Voice VoIP accounts and one OBiTALK VoIP service."

How many Google Voice numbers will work on this?
How many sip accounts like CallCentric, IPComms VOIP.ms, Anveo, etc

and what is the reference to OBiTALK VoIP service?

TIA

drgeoff

Quote from: dircom on January 15, 2020, 08:50:22 AM
"The OBi2182 is a business-class color IP phone with support for up to 48 lines and up to six SIP, Google Voice VoIP accounts and one OBiTALK VoIP service."

How many Google Voice numbers will work on this?
How many sip accounts like CallCentric, IPComms VOIP.ms, Anveo, etc

and what is the reference to OBiTALK VoIP service?

TIA
I'm flabbergasted that someone with hundreds of posts needs to ask those questions.

Just like the OBi1000 series IP phones these 2000 series models can register to up to 6 Service Provider accounts in any mix of GV and SIP.

And the OBitalk service is the same thing as has been on every OBi ATA and IP phone to date.  The service behind the default means to call any other OBI ATA or IP phone by dialling **9 followed by its 9 digit OBi number.

dircom

Yes, and I would have a lot more posts if my post counter hadn't got stuck a couple of years ago. I think I fixed that problem by changing my password and email address. Thanks for the info, I thought I understood the specs but wanted clarification.

I haven't purchased any of the IP Phones yet, but am thinking about it.  Sometimes I call and can't be heard, and sometimes I get loud static in the middle of a conversation, and have to hang up, because all I hear is static.  I need to switch out my 202, and see if I continue to have the problem.

SteveInWA

The "loud static" issue is an ongoing, unresolved issue, and I believe i is specific to Google Voice.  I know it happens with the 200 series and with the 1000 series products, but I can't recall if the 2000 series products have it.  I believe it is some sort of CODEC negotiation failure, but neither Poly nor Google has found a cause, nor are they interested in pursuing it further.

Personally, I currently have a 200, a 202, and two 2182s, all configured with Google Voice (the ATAs have my one primary GV number, and the IP phones have that number plus two test GV accounts).  I have never experienced the issue, so I can't duplicate the failure.

dircom

The OBi2182 is priced at $139.97 today on Amazon.  A drop from $179.99
However the OBi 200 is and the OBi202 have gone up in price to $69.99 & $99.99 respectively.
Any thoughts on the pricing?
also the $30 4 year Assurion warranty for a 2182? which I think is not in addition to the one yr warranty, just 4 yrs total.

SteveInWA

I guess the price should be stated as if you're ordering lobster at a restaurant:  "market price".

dircom

Guess I should have been more specific. Sometimes prices change due to shortages or end of life.
  Does anyone have any knowledge of that might pertain to those three items.
Also regarding reliability -- the 2182 has been out about 24 months or so, Has it been reliable?

SteveInWA

I personally have two 2182s, in service since they first came out, and they are rock solid reliable.  See my 2017 post in this thread, above.  There were some initial firmware issues with regard to headsets and EHS, but I found those during beta testing and they're fixed.

Don't make any assumptions about prices on the other stuff being related to EOL or supply shortage.  Look carefully at the Amazon listing.  It's just some random seller price-gouging, not being sold directly by Amazon.  It just means that they are temporarily out of stock, with more on the way.

Marc

I have 3 2182 and they've been great.  I also have multiple 1062's and 1032's...  They too have been very solid and I've had them since they first came out.

You can see historical pricing info from Amazon for the 2182 here: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Obihai-OBi2000-Gigabit-Phones-OBi2182/product/B076JKV5CL

SteveInWA

Thanks, Marc!  Good to hear from you.

Just one reminder:  if anyone plans to migrate to Google's new Google Voice for G Suite customers (a paid service), none of 200, 1000 or 2000 series products will work.  The only phones that work with the G Suite service are the Poly VVX x50 IP phones (at least at this time; I expect newer products will be added over time).

Conversely, the Poly VVX x50 phones do not work with the original, consumer Google Voice service.  They use a completely different provisioning method.

Williev

If i were to buy a OBi2182, would i also have to buy a obi200 or obi202 for Google Voice? Or is this feature built in?