News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Impasse reached and no response from OBihai/Polycom Support

Started by Toro, November 15, 2019, 09:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toro

Hello,
I received an OBi312 device, OBi number 320 187 463, from IP Phone Warehouse on 1 October 2019. About two weeks later, it started causing problems, and within another week, it was indeed "dead".

I called the OBi Support phone number (408) 890-6000, and the phone message advised me to submit an RMA Support Request on the OBi Support web site. I submitted the RMA Support Request on the OBi web site on 24 October, with full technical and functional details about the device's failure.

OBi Support advised me by email on 26 October to submit an RMA request with IP Phone Warehouse, the item retailer. I submitted the RMA Support Request on the IP Phone Warehouse web site on 1 November, along with the complete details relating to the failure.

IP Phone Warehouse advised me by email on 6 November that I need to submit an RMA Request with OBi Support. I did this previously on 24 October, so I advised IP Phone Warehouse by email that I was directed by OBi Support to place the RMA with them. They repeated that they are not able to process the RMA, and that I must submit the RMA to OBi Support. I've therefore reached an impasse.

I contacted OBi support by email on 6 November, advising them all the information given above, and asked how I should proceed to have the device replaced. I've received no response from OBi Support.

I'm hoping OBi Support staff can advise me how to move forward with the replacement of the device.

Thank you and regards.

azrobert

I always thought the RMA is submitted to where the product was purchased. You should be able to submit a complaint to your credit card company.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on November 15, 2019, 10:21:06 PM
I always thought the RMA is submitted to where the product was purchased.
That is what is stated in the Warranty Information section of the Quick Start Guides. There doesn't appear to be one on-line for the 312 but the 302 one is at http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/qsg/obi-302-qsg-enus.pdf

Toro

Thank you both for your advice.

I checked the "Polycom OBi312 Installation & Configuration Guide" that came with my OBi312. In the Warranty Information section, under Replacement, Repair, Refund, it states:" To request an RMA, please contact the party from whom you purchased the product."

Yes indeed, that's the retailer, so I've sent off another email to the retailer with CC OBi Support, advising the above statement from the Warranty.

I'll see how it goes.
Thank you for your most helpful and timely response.

SteveInWA

Here's the issue:

The 200 series ATAs, and the 1000 and 2000 series IP phones are sold directly to consumers.  They are directly supported by Polycom.  The 300 series are not intended to be sold to consumers.  They are intended for bulk sales to carriers, ITSPs, system integrators or other companies that then assume the responsibility for support.

So, in general, yes; Poly will provide an RMA or other warranty service on the other products, but no, not on the 300 series.

Toro

Thanks for the information.
As the "dead" device is manufactured by Polycom, the replacement device must also ultimately come from Polycom, regardless of how the failed item was purchased.
Per your advice, the OBi312 is not a consumer item, so Polycom doesn't issue the RMA.
Then it must be issued by the retailer who supplied it?
The retailer has advised it must go to Polycom.

There's several retailers of the OBi312, yet none of their web sites discuss the fact that it is not a consumer product, nor that special support requirements apply to it. There were no specific conditions put on the sale of the item to me at the time of purchase. A retail sale appears to be a retail sale for them.

Who should I submit the RMA request to? Someone somewhere must be obligated to honor the warranty.
Thanks for any advice.

Toro

An update.
Obi Support at Polycom has advised that a replacement OBi312 is being shipped to me today.
That should resolve the problem and bring the case to an end.
Thank you OBi Support at Polycom.
Best regards.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Toro on November 22, 2019, 05:43:45 PM
An update.
Obi Support at Polycom has advised that a replacement OBi312 is being shipped to me today.
That should resolve the problem and bring the case to an end.
Best regards.

Good to hear; I talked with my contact at Poly, and he agreed to help you out.  You neglected to mention that you are in Australia. 

Toro

Thank you for your efforts with this Steve. The new item should be getting close.
Re: from Australia. I didn't think it carried any relevance so I didn't mention it.

Best regards.

Toro

Replacement item received today.
Thank you Steve.
All good.