News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The number you dialed___ has not received a response from the service provider

Started by Revived, January 17, 2019, 08:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpsb

I am having the same issue. Just started a few days ago. No changes to my network. I'll be on a call and it will get disconnected mid call. Then I cannot make another outbound call until I reboot the phone. I'm using GV.

Italian

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 01, 2020, 02:47:08 PM
Quote from: andyhi on April 01, 2020, 02:37:41 PM
No firewall rules changes on my end in over 6 months.  Will turn up additional logging and packet captures if need be.

So what?  You could have had the wrong settings for over 6 months.  Check to be sure that you are not blocking ANY of the items I mentioned, and you are opening the referenced ports.

I really don't care, at this point, how many other anecdotal reports you find.  People have reported mysterious disconnects for years, and there are no currently-known issues on Google's side that would cause it.  Aside from a few bugs that were found and fixed, these always turn out to be client-side issues.

Multiple people at different locations are reporting the exact same issues and you blame the guy's firewall saying everything is fine on Google's side? Clearly not. Something is very wrong either on Google's side or on Obi's side.

drgeoff

Quote from: Italian on April 02, 2020, 08:38:59 AM
No firewall rules changes on my end in over 6 months.  Will turn up additional logging and packet captures if need be.

So what?  You could have had the wrong settings for over 6 months.  Check to be sure that you are not blocking ANY of the items I mentioned, and you are opening the referenced ports.

I really don't care, at this point, how many other anecdotal reports you find.  People have reported mysterious disconnects for years, and there are no currently-known issues on Google's side that would cause it.  Aside from a few bugs that were found and fixed, these always turn out to be client-side issues.

Multiple people at different locations are reporting the exact same issues and you blame the guy's firewall saying everything is fine on Google's side? Clearly not. Something is very wrong either on Google's side or on Obi's side.

Once an OBi is configured the only calls which use OBihai resources are those to and from other OBi devices over the Obitalk network - the calls that are dialled using the **9 prefix.  For all other calls to and from ordinary landline and cellphone numbers no signalling or voice trafffic goes anywhere near servers or network links run by or on behalf of Obihai/Polycom etc.

Italian

Quote from: drgeoff on April 02, 2020, 09:32:37 AM
Quote from: Italian on April 02, 2020, 08:38:59 AM

Once an OBi is configured the only calls which use OBihai resources are those to and from other OBi devices over the Obitalk network - the calls that are dialled using the **9 prefix.  For all other calls to and from ordinary landline and cellphone numbers no signalling or voice trafffic goes anywhere near servers or network links run by or on behalf of Obihai/Polycom etc.

Agreed. So something is wrong on Google Voice's end that's causing all these problems.

andyhi

No firewall rules changes on my end in over 6 months.  Will turn up additional logging and packet captures if need be.

So what?  You could have had the wrong settings for over 6 months.  Check to be sure that you are not blocking ANY of the items I mentioned, and you are opening the referenced ports.

I really don't care, at this point, how many other anecdotal reports you find.  People have reported mysterious disconnects for years, and there are no currently-known issues on Google's side that would cause it.  Aside from a few bugs that were found and fixed, these always turn out to be client-side issues.

Well I really don't care what you think or say as you clearly have no clue how network connectivity or firewalls work.  If there have been no issues or changes on my end for over 6 months and I start experiencing issues with GV at the same point in time that many others are reporting the exact same issues, clearly my firewall rules are NOT the problem.

Italian

Quote from: andyhi on April 02, 2020, 09:22:21 PM
No firewall rules changes on my end in over 6 months.  Will turn up additional logging and packet captures if need be.

So what?  You could have had the wrong settings for over 6 months.  Check to be sure that you are not blocking ANY of the items I mentioned, and you are opening the referenced ports.

I really don't care, at this point, how many other anecdotal reports you find.  People have reported mysterious disconnects for years, and there are no currently-known issues on Google's side that would cause it.  Aside from a few bugs that were found and fixed, these always turn out to be client-side issues.

Well I really don't care what you think or say as you clearly have no clue how network connectivity or firewalls work.  If there have been no issues or changes on my end for over 6 months and I start experiencing issues with GV at the same point in time that many others are reporting the exact same issues, clearly my firewall rules are NOT the problem.

Well said! I agree 100%!

chrisgabor

Same here just started about 3 days ago. Very frustrating. Reboot fixes the situation for a short while. Nothing changed on network/router. Even the incoming calls are going to the cell phones only, obi200 is silent.

wpsb

Quote from: chrisgabor on April 03, 2020, 12:26:31 PM
Same here just started about 3 days ago. Very frustrating. Reboot fixes the situation for a short while. Nothing changed on network/router. Even the incoming calls are going to the cell phones only, obi200 is silent.

Mine also started 3-4 days ago. I posted a link in another thread with a link to a complaint to google. The more people who reply they are having a problem the more likely they are to fix. I have also escalated to an engineer at Poly since the "moderators" on this board are clueless and not helpful, as usual.

Italian

Quote from: wpsb on April 03, 2020, 12:49:42 PM
Mine also started 3-4 days ago. I posted a link in another thread with a link to a complaint to google. The more people who reply they are having a problem the more likely they are to fix. I have also escalated to an engineer at Poly since the "moderators" on this board are clueless and not helpful, as usual.

Yes, no help from the "moderators." Please keep us posted if you hear back from Poly.

glnz9

Started yesterday at my home in NYC, and happened twice today on each of two Obis (which carry two GV numbers).
Rebooted both twice.
My internet connection is good - 1Gbps Verizon FIOS with low pings to nearby speedtest.net servers.  The two Obis are wired to the router, not wifi. Everything else internet seems fine.
So what's causing this?

sweh

There's definitely an issue somewhere in the OBi/GV world.  For the past week or two calls would start to die after 20 minutes or so (a static burst then silence).  Trying to re-dial after that causes these "not received a response" error.  Maybe 3 or 4 minutes later the device will make calls again.

Incoming calls to GV routed to my OBi200 may also fail; I've had two go straight to voicemail and one caused my Obi to ring once then go to VM.

In in NJ on Verizon FIOS.  My co-worker in Houston and my boss in Denver are also seeing issues with their OBI setups, so I know it's not just me.

njweb

Quote from: wpsb on April 06, 2020, 07:52:02 AM
Please also post your issue in the google voice help area. The more people who report it, the higher the likelyhood that someone will fix it

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/37682987?hl=en

Are we sure the issue is on Google's end and not something related to our OBI units? I.e. are other GV users who use OBI alternatives also suddenly all experiencing issues currently (past several weeks)?

drgeoff

Quote from: njweb on April 08, 2020, 05:03:00 AM
Please also post your issue in the google voice help area. The more people who report it, the higher the likelyhood that someone will fix it

Are we sure the issue is on Google's end and not something related to our OBI units? I.e. are other GV users who use OBI alternatives also suddenly all experiencing issues currently (past several weeks)?
The are no "OBi alternatives" that support GV.

Once an Obi is configured for GV, no server or network infrastructure operated by or on behalf of Obihai/Poly plays a necessary part in GV calls.  The OBi communicates directly with Google for call setup and voice carriage.

As there has been no change to OBi devices since they were working satisfactorily with GV one must assume:

1.  Google now has some faulty equipment or has knowingly or unknowingly made some change which adversely impacts OBi devices.

2. If Google has knowingly made some change they have not advised Obihai of what change need to be made to OBi devices or if they have advised then Obihai has not released updated firmware for OBi devices.

andyhi

Google Voice support replied on that thread stating they found and corrected an issue on their end and then asked for feedback if the issue reoccurred.  The problem reoccurred (outgoing call dropped at ~15:32) the next morning so I replied.  

Now the GV thread has been deleted.  

Agree that everything indicates an issue with Google at this point.  Really looks like they are dropping communications from some Obi clients after a timeout period...  Perhaps due to changes on Googles end with network comms/LB/firewall/IPS/session timeouts.  

The only other thing I can come up with is that perhaps the comms from the Obi202 is slightly different from the Obi200 given the 202 has a firewall/router built in.  I do have my 202 configured in bridge mode with firewall (NAT) disabled best I can tell.  Moved one of my lines back to an Obi200.  Haven't noticed the issue on the 200, but haven't had enough time/usage on that line to say for certain if there is a difference between the 200 and 202 at this point.

Update - Noticed my Obi200 f/w:3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)   Obi202 f/w:3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).

Also the last page in the following thread suggests an issue with firmware 5921EX.  (Downgrading the 202 to 5859EX now.  If I had a link to 5898 I would try that instead.)  

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.360

SteveInWA

Quote from: andyhi on April 16, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Google Voice support replied on that thread stating they found and corrected an issue on their end and then asked for feedback if the issue reoccurred.  The problem reoccurred (outgoing call dropped at ~15:32) the next morning so I replied.  

Now the GV thread has been deleted.  

Agree that everything indicates an issue with Google at this point.  Really looks like they are dropping communications from some Obi clients after a timeout period...  Perhaps due to changes on Googles end with network comms/LB/firewall/IPS/session timeouts.  

The only other thing I can come up with is that perhaps the comms from the Obi202 is slightly different from the Obi200 given the 202 has a firewall/router built in.  I do have my 202 configured in bridge mode with firewall (NAT) disabled best I can tell.  Moved one of my lines back to an Obi200.  Haven't noticed the issue on the 200, but haven't had enough time/usage on that line to say for certain if there is a difference between the 200 and 202 at this point.

Update - Noticed my Obi200 f/w:3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)   Obi202 f/w:3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).

Also the last page in the following thread suggests an issue with firmware 5921EX.  (Downgrading the 202 to 5859EX now.  If I had a link to 5898 I would try that instead.)  

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.360

This a steaming pile of BS, based solely on anecdotal reports and speculation.

The 15-minute disconnect issue was an actual bug, that was identified and fixed.  The thread was locked for that reason, since future posts would be unrelated to the resolved problem.

Experimenting with downlevel firmware isn't going to fix anything.  Your speculations about the differences between the 200 and 202 demonstrate your lack of understanding.  They use the exact same firmware, and, other than the router portion, which you can easily bypass, it's the same product.

If you truly have a consistent, reproducible symptom/failure that can be demonstrated and documented with test phone calls, then open your own, dedicated discussion post on the Google Voice forum (not here). 

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/new?hl=en

I have the ability to work directly with Google Voice engineering to investigate reproducible problems.  Otherwise, stop randomly guessing and spreading nonsense.

andyhi

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 16, 2020, 07:02:08 PM

This a steaming pile of BS, based solely on anecdotal reports and speculation.

The 15-minute disconnect issue was an actual bug, that was identified and fixed.  The thread was locked for that reason, since future posts would be unrelated to the resolved problem.

Great work... I've had the 15 minute problem multiple times on my obi202 since Google "identified and fixed" the issue.  And the thread I mentioned (from WSPB's post) is now entirely gone... not locked, not closed, gone after they asked for additional feedback.   

Experimenting with downlevel firmware isn't going to fix anything.  Your speculations about the differences between the 200 and 202 demonstrate your lack of understanding.  They use the exact same firmware, and, other than the router portion, which you can easily bypass, it's the same product.

I know it's the same firmware image, but the hardware is different.  This can absolutely create differences in network connectivity if the stateful firewall or secondary NAT components of the 202 are still inline with comms.  AT&T does this with certain configs of their FTTH RGs and it causes issues with wifi calling and other types of connectivity due to double NAT even through you are leveraging a WAN network issued IP on the calling device.

If you truly have a consistent, reproducible symptom/failure that can be demonstrated and documented with test phone calls, then open your own, dedicated discussion post on the Google Voice forum (not here). 

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/new?hl=en

I have the ability to work directly with Google Voice engineering to investigate reproducible problems.  Otherwise, stop randomly guessing and spreading nonsense.

Noted... Your customer support skills are top notch!

Smee

I was having the same issue yesterday, but I was too busy with work to troubleshoot. I have two GV lines on my Obi and have never had issues before. One is the main house line and the other is the number I use so folks at work can reach me. I've had these numbers for years.  ;D When the issue cropped up yesterday, I rebooted the Obi and it fixed the issue, but then cropped up on the other GV line afterwards. I don't have any special equipment other than my Dd-wrt router and nothing has been changed there. If it happens again, I'll try to troubleshoot further and also try to get a TCP dump from the router and look for anything that stands out to see if that helps any.

wpsb

andyhi and Smee

I have been in touch with Poly about this issue. They are aware of it. They are also aware of SteveInWA and how he responds to people. I have confirmed that He does NOT even work for Poly!!!

Poly's engineers are looking into the problem. However, I suggest that you open a new thread with Google, as well, even though they locked mine.

You SHOULD email Poly's tech support. They made some changes there and now should be more responsive to issues. Let me know how it goes!

Smee

Thank you, however, as of today, I haven't experienced the issue. If it does happen again and I'm able to do a packet capture, I'll open up a ticket. Having the time/date, checking the Obi dashboard and the device itself would probably help as well. I'll have to check and see if anything useful is also being sent to the syslog server.

glnz9

Quote from: wpsb on April 21, 2020, 01:24:45 PM
andyhi and Smee

I have been in touch with Poly about this issue. They are aware of it. They are also aware of SteveInWA and how he responds to people. I have confirmed that He does NOT even work for Poly!!!

Poly's engineers are looking into the problem. However, I suggest that you open a new thread with Google, as well, even though they locked mine.

You SHOULD email Poly's tech support. They made some changes there and now should be more responsive to issues. Let me know how it goes!

WPSB - any update?  This is happening non-stop in my wife's SOHO, but not at home for some months now.  NYC.  Office is 100Mbps through the mini-office company, and home is Verizon FIOS 400Mbps.