News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 GV accounts, 911 out and incoming SIP: 1 OB 110 unit or two?

Started by zanophol, September 26, 2011, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zanophol

I currently have an asterisk setup that I am looking to replace. I have 2 google voice accounts (one for me and one for my wife). I also have a CallCentric SIP account for another number that can only receive calls. Additionally, I need to be able to route outgoing 911 calls out using the CallCentric account. I have a Linksys PAP2 with two extensions that all of this works with.

Is it possible to achieve all of this with one Obihai 110 unit, or do I need two?

RonR

To do anything SIP related (Callcentric and the PAP2), you will need either SP1 or SP2 configured for SIP.  This precludes having two Google Voice accounts.  Given that, your Callcentric and PAP2 needs can be met.

zanophol

So, treat me like I am stupid (my wife would laugh at that one).

I have four ports with two 110 devices. I have 2 GV accounts and need 911 out and CallCentric SIP in. Can this be done with two devices minus the need for a PAP2?

RonR

The 911 out and Callcentric SIP in would be associated with the phone connected to the OBi where Callcentric resides.  They could also be extended to the other OBi via the OBiTALK Service, but it's been so unreliable for more than a week now with no response from Obihai, I wouldn't want to rely on it for 911.

You don't need the PAP2, but it can be utilized for additional extensions off of an OBi if desired.

Dale

Quote from: RonR on September 26, 2011, 11:28:53 AM
You don't need the PAP2, but it can be utilized for additional extensions off of an OBi if desired.

that caught my eye as I currently have a Linksys PAP2 which I thought would be redundant after switching over to the Obi... how would I use the PAP2 as you suggest, can you point to any doc on that?

Can the PAP2 be registered as a device on the OBi network?

RonR

Dale,

A PAP2 cannot be registered on the OBi network, but it can be used to add additional extensions to the OBi:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=718.0

Dale

thanks again Ron...

once the PAP2 is set up as an extension, I presume it is still a single 'line' right. i.e. if someone is talking on via the Obi connected phone and someone picks up the phone connected to the PAP2, will it get dial tone and be able to make an independent outgoing call?

RonR

The phone(s) connected to the PAP2 can make and receive calls independently of the OBi PHONE Port using any and all of the resources of the OBi.