News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Should I Avoid Buying Obi200 Because It Was Discontinued?

Started by audioresearch, August 14, 2020, 09:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioresearch

Because Obi 200 was discontinued, does that mean it is likely it will stop working with Google Voice soon?

OBi Support Edit: The OBi200 has not been discontinued.

audioresearch

Sorry about the duplicate post. When I posted, which I tried more than once, I got a webpage with an error message to the effect "credentials not valid" which led me to believe that my posts did not go through.

I believe the Obi200 is discontinued because it is not shown on the Poly website in its list of products. It is also not a good sign that what appear to be newer models (which I base solely on the fact that the model numbers are higher numbers than "200" and cost more) do not support Google Voice. All this leads me to believe Poly is going to be dumping Google Voice-what else could I conclude when I find all their ATA products that show on their own web page no longer support Google Voice?

I believe "SteveinWA"(whose help in the past has been great) has answered this question in the past, but it would help me a lot to get an update on the current situation to see if this product as of this time is discontinued or if Poly will not be updating firmware for it.

Taoman

Quote from: audioresearch on August 14, 2020, 06:27:45 PM

I believe the Obi200 is discontinued because it is not shown on the Poly website in its list of products.
https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/phones/obi/obi200
https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/phones/obi/obi202
https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/phones/obi/obi212

Quote from: audioresearchIt is also not a good sign that what appear to be newer models (which I base solely on the fact that the model numbers are higher numbers than "200" and cost more) do not support Google Voice.
The 3xx and 5xx line of ATAs are targeted at the (small) business sector, not home consumers. So GV support is not needed.
Poly also has an entire line of OBI IP phones (Polycom VVX 250/350/450) that supports Google Voice for G Suite.

drgeoff

OBiSupport

Hello OBi Users (and folks wanting to be OBi Users),

For the past several weeks, we have been working to remedy the constrained supply issues at Amazon.com as well as working to bring additional on-line merchants with available inventory of OBi200, OBi202, OBi212, OBiWiFi5G and OBi phones.

On behalf of our marketplace partner, we apologize for the lack of supply (we have plenty in our warehouse) and are working to get the situation fixed asap.

Thank you for your interest, your support, your patience and for being a customer.

OBi Team @ Poly

MrTom

Quote from: OBiSupport on August 18, 2020, 11:49:19 AM

For the past several weeks, we have been working to remedy the constrained supply issues at Amazon.com as well as working to bring additional on-line merchants with available inventory of OBi200, OBi202, OBi212, OBiWiFi5G and OBi phones.

On behalf of our marketplace partner, we apologize for the lack of supply (we have plenty in our warehouse) and are working to get the situation fixed asap.

Thank you for your interest, your support, your patience and for being a customer.

OBi Team @ Poly

Hi, OBiSupport, while you're here. Can you explain these Amazon Renewed OBI200 units that are $70 compared to the original brand new unit MSRP (the price it's always been) of $50? What's going on here? Why do we have to pay $20 more for a "renewed" (refurbished/used) device?

Why does Amazon have stock (of used Obihai units, not Polycom?) that are more expensive, but you don't have your stock in their warehouses?

So if you replenish your stock, will the price be more than $70? If not, what a kick in the gut if you buy a used one now for more money than a brand new one. If it will be more money, what a kick in the gut to have to pay more for a device we used to be able to buy cheaper. Either way, we're getting a kick in the gut!

drgeoff

Quote from: MrTom on August 28, 2020, 09:56:53 PM

OBi Team @ Poly

Hi, OBiSupport, while you're here. Can you explain these Amazon Renewed OBI200 units that are $70 compared to the original brand new unit MSRP (the price it's always been) of $50? What's going on here? Why do we have to pay $20 more for a "renewed" (refurbished/used) device?

Why does Amazon have stock (of used Obihai units, not Polycom?) that are more expensive, but you don't have your stock in their warehouses?

So if you replenish your stock, will the price be more than $70? If not, what a kick in the gut if you buy a used one now for more money than a brand new one. If it will be more money, what a kick in the gut to have to pay more for a device we used to be able to buy cheaper. Either way, we're getting a kick in the gut!
Those "renewed" units are not sold by Amazon. They are from a seller taking advantage of the current lack of supply of new OBi200s. That seller is at liberty to set whatever price he wishes. You are at liberty not to buy. (I would not.)

Neither Poly nor Amazon are giving "a kick in the gut".

MrTom

Quote from: drgeoff on August 29, 2020, 12:08:32 AM
Quote from: MrTom on August 28, 2020, 09:56:53 PM

OBi Team @ Poly

Those "renewed" units are not sold by Amazon. They are from a seller taking advantage of the current lack of supply of new OBi200s. That seller is at liberty to set whatever price he wishes. You are at liberty not to buy. (I would not.)

Neither Poly nor Amazon are giving "a kick in the gut".

Well, guess it's moot now, "Currently Unavailable". There were 19 in stock. Demand seems to be VERY high at the moment. Stock seems to be VERY low at the moment. Still seems like a "kick in the gut" for the average Joe who wants an OBi200 for MSRP $50. Average price for brand new on eBay is $85-$200.

Here's one for $180 and sold 14 so far.

SteveInWA

1) read the eBay listing.  It was for a pack of three for $180.78, not one unit at that price.
2) it's certainly suspicious that a seller would claim these are new units, unless they are counterfeit or "harvested" from service provider-locked inventory.
3) there actually is a company that is authorized to refurbish returned units (in reference to the post about "refurbished").  I don't know to identify them, however.

MrTom

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2020, 12:12:27 PM
1) read the eBay listing.  It was for a pack of three for $180.78, not one unit at that price.
2) it's certainly suspicious that a seller would claim these are new units, unless they are counterfeit or "harvested" from service provider-locked inventory.
3) there actually is a company that is authorized to refurbish returned units (in reference to the post about "refurbished").  I don't know to identify them, however.

Ok, woops, my bad. So here's one for $199.99 that clearly states "THIS IS LISTING IS ONLY FOR 1 ITEM".

Also, the Amazon link referred to earlier states, "Brand: Amazon Renewed". You click it and get "Products on Amazon Renewed have been inspected and tested by qualified suppliers to work and look like new, and come with the Amazon Renewed Guarantee."

Sounds like an Amazon backed product to me, not just "from a seller taking advantage of the current lack of supply of new OBi200s." Oh, and they're now $74.99, an increase of $5 since that last post. You think we'll break $80 for a used Obi200 by October? Thanks Amazon. (thumbs up)

So shady hand sanitizer manufacturers with dangerous methanol can fill Amazon's warehouse, but a company with an arguably recent necessity product cannot? What's really going on here?

Taoman

OBi200 currently in stock at NewEgg for $56.

https://www.newegg.com/polycom-2200-4952-001-accessories/p/N82E16833617015

Edit: Uh, never mind. 12 hours later and they're out of stock already!

Tech-God

Quote from: Taoman on September 08, 2020, 07:18:25 PM
OBi200 currently in stock at NewEgg for $56.

https://www.newegg.com/polycom-2200-4952-001-accessories/p/N82E16833617015

Edit: Uh, never mind. 12 hours later and they're out of stock already!

And Newegg up here in Canada wants C$305 (about US$230) plus $30 shipping . . . . . my last 202 cost me about C$70 and I want one more, but not at highway robbery pricing.  Amazon Canada doesn't list the 202 at all.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=obi202

It would be great if you guys could simply sell direct and put a stamp on one and mail it to me!!!

MrTom

Quote from: OBiSupport on August 18, 2020, 11:49:19 AMFor the past several weeks, we have been working to remedy the constrained supply issues at Amazon.com as well as working to bring additional on-line merchants with available inventory of OBi200, OBi202, OBi212, OBiWiFi5G and OBi phones.

So how's that been working for ya? It's been over 5 weeks now. I can buy one from NewEgg that ships from China for $130. Where's that "magical inventory" at?

LTN1

Quote from: MrTom on September 24, 2020, 09:13:52 PM
Quote from: OBiSupport on August 18, 2020, 11:49:19 AMFor the past several weeks, we have been working to remedy the constrained supply issues at Amazon.com as well as working to bring additional on-line merchants with available inventory of OBi200, OBi202, OBi212, OBiWiFi5G and OBi phones.

So how's that been working for ya? It's been over 5 weeks now. I can buy one from NewEgg that ships from China for $130. Where's that "magical inventory" at?

Ya...it's slowly working out. No magic needed...just some 5th grade ability to do a search on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/polycom-2200-49522-001-accessories/p/N82E16833617016?Description=obi202&cm_re=obi202-_-33-617-016-_-Product

Or Newegg selling on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polycom-2200-49522-001-VoIP-Telephone-Adapter-with-2-Phone-Ports-Router-USB/293418165419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

dhobi

Wow prices on these things have jumped!

Not sure there's a good use for them anymore, SIP and Google Voice work just fine directly on mobile phones via apps with the added advantage of being mobile and being able to use them over LTE data. I still have my OBI200 (and OBI100) but lost interest in "playing" with them. When they stop working they won't get replaced. Even the phone attached to it is a 15 yr old Panasonic that needs new (rechargeable) batteries. It's a race which piece dies first so I can unplug them all. Maybe I should just put them on ebay.

MrTom

Quote from: dhobi on September 30, 2020, 09:02:24 AM
Wow prices on these things have jumped!

Not sure there's a good use for them anymore, SIP and Google Voice work just fine directly on mobile phones via apps with the added advantage of being mobile and being able to use them over LTE data. I still have my OBI200 (and OBI100) but lost interest in "playing" with them. When they stop working they won't get replaced. Even the phone attached to it is a 15 yr old Panasonic that needs new (rechargeable) batteries. It's a race which piece dies first so I can unplug them all. Maybe I should just put them on ebay.

At least put that OBi on eBay. You'll make 3 times the money you initially paid for it brand new.  :o

OBiSupport

The OBi200 (sold by Obihai Technology) is back on sale at $49.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.to/36Znkb8

DelawareGuy

I guess I picked the right time to sell my OBi202. It's listed on eBay right now and I couldn't understand why the bids were so high. This explains it.