News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What would be a typical usage scenario for a Voice Gateway?

Started by MichiganTelephone, March 16, 2011, 10:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lavarock7

What I didn't get when setting up a gateway was the:
AccessNumber: spx(provider)

I was setting up GW3 and used "3" and "X" before the provider in parenthes and got no where. Then I realized that the "X" stood for the SIP service provider that this refers to.

If GV is SP!, you must have a SP set up as SP2 as described in the writeup. These gateways would use SP2.

I have GV as SP1 and UK.DDI as SP2. My GW3 is VOIP.MS. It points to SP2. On VOIP.MS's site even though configured, the connection I set up will not show connected on their side.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

QBZappy

Lavarock7,

Another subtlety in using gateways is that it works with voip services which do not need to be registered to. This limits the pool of commercial voip providers which you can use as a gateway. I think the original intent was to allow OBi to OBi gateway use.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

restamp

Let me make sure my understanding of Voice Gateways is correct:  Voice Gateways were originally intended as a means for implementing 1-stage dialing through the OBiTalk interface, but as some point this was extended to allow them to work with a SIP connection as well.  But, these trunks are essentially originate-only:  They can be used for placing calls, but will not stay connected to a VoIP provider once that call is complete, and thus they cannot be used to receive incoming calls.  They are useful for OBiTalk trunking applications, for calling out without tying up an incoming trunk, and for other specialized applications, such as wanting to present a special caller-id to the called party.

Is that about right?  If not, what have I gotten wrong?

Ostracus

There's also connecting to Asterisk, and freeing up an SP slot.

restamp

Right -- Asterisk.  But VGs are still only usable with Asterisk on an outgoing-only basis, right?  (From the perspective of an ATA, I tend to think of Asterisk as just another VoIP provider.)  If you want both inbound and outbound access to Asterisk, you have to use up an SP, right?

drgeoff

Quote from: restamp on April 22, 2015, 11:42:00 PM
Right -- Asterisk.  But VGs are still only usable with Asterisk on an outgoing-only basis, right?  (From the perspective of an ATA, I tend to think of Asterisk as just another VoIP provider.)  If you want both inbound and outbound access to Asterisk, you have to use up an SP, right?
No you don't need to use up an SP for inbound and outbound access to Asterisk. Asterisk can call into an OBi directly the same way that SIP spammers do.

restamp

Right.  I saw a -- I think it was your -- post on how to do this after I posted the above here.  I saved it for later reference.  I haven't tried implementing it yet since, frankly, I have not run out of SP trunks yet and I haven't converted my OBi to a static IP, but it's good to know how.  Thanks.

Star255

Wintek  -- I like that setup.  I'll have to learn more about the services provided by voip.ms.  But I am kind of lost in getting the home phone and business phone setup with the obi's manual config page.

arko12

Since you were helping me out I figured I'd just keep the information in the same thread. May help somebody else out.

CID spoofing hasn't worked for me so far.  Sub account CID info is left blank.  I've disabled the auto provisioning with the OBI.  However, after continuing to put the ACME Business for the CID name for profile, the name just doesn't stick.

I sent an email to voip.ms about checking voicemail for the two DID's I have.  Voip.ms says to use *97 or *98 however, when that is pressed on the phone device to check VM's I immediately get the busy signal.  I've tried **1 (Profile A) then *97 and get the busy signal.  So, it's not totally clear how I would check the voicemail for both lines.   I would guess you would reach the system, punch in the correct mailbox and pin number but I can't even get that far.

rajubhaiya

I found it easier to explain in terms of AA. Suppose you would like to call a number of different OBi units (owned by yourself or your friends in other locations) in order to call further to take advantage of their SP/LINE trunks. Normally you let your OBi be a member of their circle-of-trust, ring-up their AA, then dial the target number, etc. This should be well understood by now. We refer to this way as 2-stage dialing.

drgeoff

Quote from: rajubhaiya on September 17, 2020, 01:09:12 PM
I found it easier to explain in terms of AA. Suppose you would like to call a number of different OBi units (owned by yourself or your friends in other locations) in order to call further to take advantage of their SP/LINE trunks. Normally you let your OBi be a member of their circle-of-trust, ring-up their AA, then dial the target number, etc. This should be well understood by now. We refer to this way as 2-stage dialing.

Odds on this poster is a spammer who will return to edit the post which is currently a verbatim copy of part of a reply from OBi support earlier in this topic. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.msg2154#msg2154