News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100

Started by akore, December 08, 2020, 08:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akore

I take it this unit I have is no longer supported and no longer of any use? I bought it a long time ago off Woot (back when Woot was Woot and not Amazon) and never used it or even set it up. I take it that I should just recycle it and maybe keep the power adapter for future use? ???

Taoman

It will work fine as an ATA to connect to any SIP provider (Callcentric, Voip.ms, etc).
But it will no longer connect to Google Voice.

akore

Thank you for the reply. That is what I thought. I am looking for something that is free of a monthly charge to replace my MagicJack that is set to expire in Feb unless I renew it. I live in Colombia now but want to keep a USA number. I do have GV on my phone which works for me as long as I tie it to my MagicJack number.

Taoman

Quote from: akore on December 08, 2020, 09:36:10 AM
I do have GV on my phone which works for me as long as I tie it to my MagicJack number.
Please explain. Is your MJ number your forwarding number in Google Voice?

I assume you have decent WiFi? Do you use a VPN?
What happens if you go into settings in your GV app on your phone and change Make and receive calls to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data?" Are you able to make and receive calls now apart from your MJ?

akore

Thanks again for getting back to me. Yes, the MJ number is just used for call forwarding. It made me put in a US number when I setup GV. I have it set to use: "Prefer Wifi and moblie data" in the GV app. My fear is when my MJ number goes away in Feb if I ever have to set it up again (new phone, custom ROM etc) I will not be able to set it up again without a working US number to get the text verification from.

Taoman

Quote from: akore on December 08, 2020, 10:19:19 AM
My fear is when my MJ number goes away in Feb if I ever have to set it up again (new phone, custom ROM etc) I will not be able to set it up again without a working US number to get the text verification from.

Yep, that's a valid concern alright. I've read you can get a "Mobile" number from Anveo that you can use for GV verification purposes. I assume you know once the GV account has been verified you can delete the number you used for verification?
http://www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com/about/#comment-14468
https://anveo.com/orderphonenumber.asp?

akore

I did not know that. I went into GV and it lets me turn off the Call forwarding to the number I used but no option to delete it. But I did turn it off and tested GV and it still works to that is good!

Looks like Anveo has a free option... I will have to check into that more... thanks for the link. :)

akore

Do you think the OBi100 will work with Anveo? They only list the 110 here: https://anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_obi110

Not sure if the 110 and 100 work the same.

drgeoff

Quote from: akore on December 09, 2020, 06:37:35 AM
Do you think the OBi100 will work with Anveo? They only list the 110 here: https://anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_obi110

Not sure if the 110 and 100 work the same.
Yes the SIP aspects of both are exactly the same.

akore

Thank you, I will go ahead and set it up and see how it works!

akore

One other quick question, do I need an actual analog phone attached to the OBi100 to set it up? I don't have one of those laying around here.

drgeoff

Quote from: akore on December 09, 2020, 07:02:23 AM
One other quick question, do I need an actual analog phone attached to the OBi100 to set it up? I don't have one of those laying around here.
The intended use of an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (of which the OBi100 is a fine example) is to use an analogue phone with SIP telephony services.  How are you intending to use your OBi100 without an analogue phone?

You do need an analogue phone to add the OBi to a dashboard at obitalk.com.  But even without adding to the dashboard you can do all configuration using a browser pointed to your OBi's IP address.

akore

With my MagicJack I never have a phone connected and just use the Magic App to place and receive calls from my Essential PH-1. I will from time to time connect a phone cable to the MagicJack and connect my Fax Printer to Fax a signed Doc. Not sure if Anveo has such an app to use on my PH-1.

drgeoff

Quote from: akore on December 09, 2020, 08:58:38 AM
With my MagicJack I never have a phone connected and just use the Magic App to place and receive calls from my Essential PH-1. I will from time to time connect a phone cable to the MagicJack and connect my Fax Printer to Fax a signed Doc. Not sure if Anveo has such an app to use on my PH-1.
I don't know what an Essential PH-1 is.

Anveo uses standard SIP.  A softphone app on computer or on smartphone can be a SIP terminal.  The OBi100 seems irrelevant.  You don't need it to configure a softphone for Anveo and you can't use it (the Obi) for phone calls without an analogue (hardware) phone.

One of us, at least, is not understanding.

Taoman

Quote from: akore on December 08, 2020, 01:59:07 PM

Looks like Anveo has a free option... I will have to check into that more... thanks for the link. :)

The only reason I mentioned Anveo was for authentication purposes for a Google Voice account. Yes, you can create a free account at Anveo but you would be charged for all inbound/outbound calls plus a small monthly line fee.

I thought the goal was to keep and use a GV account. Any reason you couldn't use the GV app on your Android instead of the MagicJack app?

akore

Ok, I think I understand you both now. Yes, that is really all I need as like having a USA number (free) for when I need to talk to my investment people back on the USA and also my family members there. It looks like I can just use my Google Voice number to do that. I am retired in Colombia outside of Medellin and I have a Colombia phone number on my Cell phone but for the calling (or receiving calls SMS) the states I like to have local number which I have with Google Voice. So from what I am learning on here is that I really do not need a device anymore, no magicjack or this OBi100 device. I can just setup a free account on Anveo and put a softphone app on my phone to get authentication for my Google Voice account? Does Anveo give me an actual phone number to use or do I have to port-foward my MagicJack number to them? Very green to all this as I have only used my MagicJack for the past 8-10 years and their app. Not sure even when or why I bought the OBi100 for  ::)

So in a nut shell I am trying to just have a free way to keep my Google Voice always working for when I change phones or install custom ROM in the future. As of right now it does seem to be working fine.

Taoman

Quote from: akore on December 09, 2020, 10:20:02 AM
I can just setup a free account on Anveo and put a softphone app on my phone to get authentication for my Google Voice account? Does Anveo give me an actual phone number to use or do I have to port-foward my MagicJack number to them?
Anveo would give you a number. Aren't you going to get rid of your MJ number? Go to the link below. Do you see your MJ number and is there a Delete button underneath the number?

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

Quote from: akoreSo in a nut shell I am trying to just have a free way to keep my Google Voice always working for when I change phones or install custom ROM in the future. As of right now it does seem to be working fine.
So right now you are able to make and receive phone calls using your GV app over WiFi with no issue?

akore

:o
Yes, in Feb my MJ account will run out. Thank you for the link! I see it there and was able to delete it. I tested my GV before and after deleting it and it worked both times so that is good!

drgeoff