News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call quality issues with both callcentric and google

Started by alivoiper, January 12, 2021, 12:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alivoiper

I apologize if someone has already asked about it, I just bought mine so if there is a previous post please send me there.

I have an obi2062 phone with multiple lines. I have callcentric on sp1 and google voice on sp2 and another google voice on sp3. if i'm speaking any line I dont have a problem. However, when someone calls me on any of the other lines, the line i'm on sounds like i'm under water. I'm not bridging the lines. Its literally if I get another incoming call and don't even answer it. I FIOS gigebit and never have issues with my internet. If it only happened with google i would think its a google issue or callcentric.... but even if i'm on the callcentic line and someone calls me on a google line the problem happens. vice versa, too.

Any setting i need to change? I asked callcentric and they said its an obi setting issue.

Thanks!

alivoiper

Following up on this issue, I have continued testing. I found that the same issue happens if I'm on an outgoing Google call - if someone calls me it sounds like I'm under water OR if I'm on a callcentric call.

I tried removing google and only having 2 callcentric numbers and the same problem happened. I then tried two google numbers and the same problem happened.

I then thought it might be my router, so i tethered my 2162 to my cell phone. Same issue. If I'm on a call and someone calls me on a different number (ie a different callcentric SP#) the line gets garbled.

Anyone else having issues with their 2162? Any suggestions?

SteveInWA

I think you've ruled out the two service providers as the cause, and your phone should work extremely well on a FiOS-based network.

However, you didn't specify where the sound quality problem occurs.  Does the other party on the call sound bad to you, or do you sound bad to them, or both?  Which audio device are you using -- the phone's handset, the phone's speakerphone, a USB-attached headset, a RJ-9 attached headset or a Bluetooth headset?

alivoiper

Steve, thank you for your help. I actually did another test. I was concerned that it was my home internet or even my router, so I tethered the phone to my cell phone's internet and had similar problems.

1) Using my speakerphone OR handset has the same issue.

2) When I'm speaking to someone, if my phone rings (either a call waiting, or another inbound on my SP2 line) the other person says that they can't hear me well - its almost like I'm under water. I also tried testing if I make an outgoing call on the second line (ie put SP1 on hold) dial out on SP2 and then go back to SP1 there are issues. If I hang up Sp2 then SP1 is fine. I did this with both SP1 and SP2 as GV lines and SP1 SP2 as callcentric and I mixed them both.

When I tried to bridge the two lines it was much worse quality. It goes from "underwater" to totally not understandable.

I had worried that my router was causing the issues, but I ruled that out when I tethered it to my iphone and the same issues happened.

Again, call quality is totally fine when its one caller. No issues at all. No dropped calls. No sound issues.

Callcetric said that - in theory - I should be able to even do a 3 way call. They don't understand why if someone calls me on a second callcentric line OR an inbound google number that the callcentric line gets garbled.

I have no idea how to contact google voice or if this is even possible.

I have trouble believing that there is a physical issue with the phone because it works great if its only one call. However, I can't control someone calling me on a second line and then the first line sounds horrible even when its ringing.

Thank you again. I'm open to any suggestions.

SteveInWA

I'm having a little trouble understanding your post.  Are these the correct scenarios?

• If you make one outbound telephone call, or answer one inbound call, on one SPx, regardless of which carrier is it using, the sound quality is ok/normal.
  • If you already have one call in progress on, say SP1, and another inbound call comes in, and you attempt to conference in that second call, or hook-flash and transfer to that second call, placing the first on hold, then the call quality is bad.

If that's the case, then this is a long-standing bug in the OBiTALK phone firmware, and nobody here has been able to get them to fix it.

If you have some other failure scenario, then I'd delete the phone from the OBiTALK portal, reset the phone to factory defaults, then set up just SP1 with one of your service providers, and test that first.  Do not make any Expert mode settings changes.

alivoiper

Thank you again for trying to help and sorry if my post was not clear.

Here is an actual example.

I'm on SP1 - say google voice account "a". I'm speaking to someone with no quality problems.
Someone then calls me on SP2 - SP2 is connected to a different google voice account and number. While the phone is ringing , the person on SP1 can't hear me well. Even if i ignore the ringing.

Another example:
I'm on SP3 on a call CENTRIC line. Crystal clear. Someone calls me on SP1 (the Google line). I put SP3 on hold. I speak to Sp1. Sometimes when I go back to SP3 they can't hear me. Sometimes they can.

Example 3.
I try bridging SP1 and SP3. One or both can't hear me or each other , even though one is Google voice and one is callcentic. Same problem if both are callcentic and both are google voice. Callcentic confirms that the line should work for 3 way calling. I don't know how to ask Google

The strange thing is that I've had this device for a few months and these are new issues. Things were fine until about a month ago. I could even do 3 way calling between 2 google lines and 2 callcentic and mix /match.

I thought maybe my router had new firmware - that's why I tried tethering to my cell and it's the same problem.

Yes only having one SP fixed the problem because the problem happens when someone calls me on a different SP. but I didn't change any settings on the phone since I got it a few months ago and this just happened. Also , the phone has 4 (or 6) sp spots so it should be able to handle anothrr in bound call and have the first one not get garbled - especially when I don't even answer it!

Thanks again!

drgeoff

Are you using Wi-Fi to connect the Obiphone to router? If yes, try a wired connection and test.

alivoiper

wpsb

My 2182 is having similar issues to Alivoiper - when someone calls me on a different SP# there are call problems where the call quality issues happen. I also have issues switching between lines where someone can't hear me. Similar to the other person's, mine is also hard wired - not wireless.

This all started about a month ago. I did not change the firmware on mine - not sure if there is a newer firmware? I did not try callcentric, (looks like the other person who posted did) but I have this issue with Google voice. I thought maybe it was a google voice issue but if both of our phones are 2100 series and the other person has the issue with both callcentric and google voice the common issue seems to be the 2100?

Is it possible a new firmware came out for the 2100 series that caused this a month ago? I did not manually update it. Perhaps it was pushed to my phone? Otherwise, I'd love to know if this is fixed?

SteveInWA

Quote from: alivoiper on January 14, 2021, 08:24:01 PM
Thank you again for trying to help and sorry if my post was not clear.

Here is an actual example.

I'm on SP1 - say google voice account "a". I'm speaking to someone with no quality problems.
Someone then calls me on SP2 - SP2 is connected to a different google voice account and number. While the phone is ringing , the person on SP1 can't hear me well. Even if i ignore the ringing.

Another example:
I'm on SP3 on a call CENTRIC line. Crystal clear. Someone calls me on SP1 (the Google line). I put SP3 on hold. I speak to Sp1. Sometimes when I go back to SP3 they can't hear me. Sometimes they can.

Example 3.
I try bridging SP1 and SP3. One or both can't hear me or each other , even though one is Google voice and one is callcentic. Same problem if both are callcentic and both are google voice. Callcentic confirms that the line should work for 3 way calling. I don't know how to ask Google

The strange thing is that I've had this device for a few months and these are new issues. Things were fine until about a month ago. I could even do 3 way calling between 2 google lines and 2 callcentic and mix /match.

I thought maybe my router had new firmware - that's why I tried tethering to my cell and it's the same problem.

Yes only having one SP fixed the problem because the problem happens when someone calls me on a different SP. but I didn't change any settings on the phone since I got it a few months ago and this just happened. Also , the phone has 4 (or 6) sp spots so it should be able to handle anothrr in bound call and have the first one not get garbled - especially when I don't even answer it!

Thanks again!

Yep, that sounds (no pun intended) like the same problem the 2000 series IP phones have had for over a year.  I don't remember when this started, but it's definitely a bug, not user error or configuration error.

alivoiper

Thank you for letting me know. Do you know if Poly is aware of it? Are they working on fixing it?

SteveInWA

Many users have reported the problem, and in the past, Poly blamed it on Google Voice.  Since you are experiencing it with Callcentric, too, I suggest you open a support ticket with Poly, if your device(s) are still under warranty.

https://www.poly.com/us/en/support/contact/email-support#

alivoiper

Steve thank you again.

Do you know if rolling back to a previous firmware will fix the issue?

Is the issue the same with the 1000 series? Or just the 2000?

alivoiper

I'd love to know if the 1000 series works - id buy one if it would solve the problem

das1996

Bumping an old thread!

I've experienced this with bridged calls on a obi2182 hw v1.0 w/ 6.2.3 build 5330, but not while on a call with another call coming in. Tested with and without google voice, distortion even present when connecting from local pbx extensions then conferencing.

There is a solution to this but it's not pleasant.

Downgrade to 6.2.3 (Build: 4907.1311), there is no distortion in bridged calls. This works fine if you're not using google voice.  If you are, 4907 will not connect properly to gv (in 2024).

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi2000-6-2-3-4907.fw

Taoman

Quote from: das1996 on March 18, 2024, 07:15:24 PMBumping an old thread!
jsolo1/GPz1100? If so, you're all over the place these days. Someone light a fire under your butt?  ;)

das1996

^^Helping keep you on your toes!!

@azrobert (or others with a 2000 series obi phone) you around? Want to help me test some things? I'll try you on dslr.