News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forward calls to Google Chat and OBI200

Started by XT43, January 29, 2021, 02:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XT43

Is one still required to select "Forward calls to Google Chat" during initial setup for Google Voice integration with the OBI200?

Google Chat (consumer version) no longer allows one to receive or place calls in the app.  My understanding of the OBI200 is that it acts as a GV chat client, so this functionality is needed to accept incoming calls.

I have not tried configuring a new OBI200, but am reading up on the instructions before doing so.

Current documentation has screen shots and instructions that appear out of date, leaving me wondering the proper procedure to configure a new OBI200 unit with GV at this time.

I do have two other units that were configured years ago, and for those GV accounts I see the "forward calls to Google Chat" checkbox still exists and is selected.

Actions I have tried:
- Place an outgoing call from voice.google.com using the PC web interface
- Receive an incoming GV call, answering on the PC web interface
- Examining settings for google chat (verified no option to place or receive calls)
- Disabled Hangouts
- Observed the google voice settings page.  Under "forward calls to" there is no checkbox to select forward calls to Google Chat
- read FAQ and provisioning documents - didn't notice the answer to my question, especially in recent times within a year or two as I understand changes have occurred with both the OBI hardware and GV integration.

Thanks for your assistance.

drgeoff

Google Chat was discontinued by Google a few years ago.  Whatever you are reading is out of date.

jholme004

The set up process is really simple - after your device is registered to ObiTalk, under "configure Service Providers" choose "Google Voice Set-up".  Follow the prompts.  It's an automated process. When done, the Obi is added to your GoogleVoice profile under "devices" in the same way a smartphone using the app would. Here's the instructions... http://www.obihai.com/GoogleVoiceUG

Like DrGeoff said, GoogleChat (as referenced in your readings) has been discontinued and no longer supported. (Google has since rebranded It's business version of Hangouts as "Google Chat", but is an entirely different product). As such, the setup process is slightly different. 

Note: your older devices will need a firmware update, if you have not used them in the past few years due to the aforementioned changes. 
-Jason

XT43

Thanks all.  The instructions referenced above are the ones I was using and are a bit of out date with the reference to Forward to Google Chat needed.  Thanks for the explanation of the process.

My other OBI200's do have the updated firmware - just was checking with respect to installing the new box from scratch.

stripey

Quote from: jholme004 on January 29, 2021, 08:37:03 PM
The set up process is really simple - after your device is registered to ObiTalk, under "configure Service Providers" choose "Google Voice Set-up".  Follow the prompts.  It's an automated process. When done, the Obi is added to your GoogleVoice profile under "devices" in the same way a smartphone using the app would. Here's the instructions... http://www.obihai.com/GoogleVoiceUG

The aunfortunate part is that registering a device to OBiTalk has not worked properly since November, with no end in sight...

jholme004

It will eventually activate - you just need to keep trying.  My Obi202 took acouple of weeks of on/off trying.
-Jason