News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Workarounds for ongoing troubles with "Add a Device"

Started by stripey, January 31, 2021, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripey

In another long-running thread, it seems clear that "add a device" has not been working properly since at least November, and possibly earlier than that. The "workaround" (not entirely reasonable workaround, but hey) is to "just keep trying."

There does not seem to have been any official communication from OBihai/Polycom even *ACKNOWLEDGING* the issue, let alone explaining what has happened or offering an ETA for the service to be properly online once again.

Unfortunately, this leaves many users looking to set up their device with Google Voice out of luck.

However, if there were some alternative service making a similar free offering, we'd be able to manually configure that using the OBi device's own administrative interface.

to that end, then, let's hear some recommendations for free DID+SIP trunk services...

oldunixguy

I posted on this same issues here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14947.msg108253#msg108253
without ANY resolution...

When are we going to be able to "Add Device"?

QuoteI had my Obi200 operational for many years. A few months ago all my 4 Obi-200 phones stopped working all at the same time late one nite. I manually power cycled them all and all came back to life except one. That one had strange LEDs, would not respond to phone commands nor respond from the local Ethernet in any way. So, I did the push button reset and no improvement. I repeated this several times and finally it came alive. At this point I logged into Obitalk and it would not reconfigure with google voice even though **9 222 222 222 worked. So, I reloaded the latest firmware. the device responds to the phone commands and the web page works from my local Ethernet. I tried again to reconfigure google voice to no avail.

Weeks have passed and tonite I began again. I could do the **9 222 222 222 and get the echo test. I logged in to the Obitalk and for that unit the google voice indicated it was not connected. I tried to reconfigure google voice but it reports a RED error message...
I repeated this many times with the same failed result.

Next, I decided to delete my Obitalk device for this unit and then select "Add Device". Then I entered the **5 3905
and it reported the number was sent to the server. Then I waited for the time out to expire and the next web page that said it "Failed to connect to your device". I repeated it many times with the same failed result.

I am at witts end and have retried this with several weeks between attempts. Nothing is working to get it added back. The other 3 Obi200 work just fine as they have for a long time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
oldunixguy

oldunixguy

I broke the code! The current FW for the Obi200 which is branded Polycom WILL NOT ALLOW Obitalk "Add Device" nor if the Obitalk has this device and it needs to be re-connected to google voice will NOT CONNECT!
This current BAD FW is OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

After many long hours of research here I stumbled upon a previous FW that might be the pre-Polycom last version... OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw This is not branded Polycom!

I found this FW file in this post: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg102932#msg102932 as a file subtly placed at the post's bottom. Thank you vit5421 !!

My Obi200 accepted this back reved FW. I was able to open its web page, etc.

Next I returned to my Obitalk account and performed the "Add Device" and selected google voice. Everything proceeded as a normal add but it took a long time with the google status reporting "configuring".

It turns out the Add Device google process updated the FW as part of this which took the very long time.
The Obi200 web page now shows the FW 3-2-2-5921EX (no suffix) and the Polycom branding.

So, the Polycom branded latest FW prevents the adding of the new device in Obitalk and also connecting a new google voice account. This previous FW makes this work but does replace the FW with the latest Polycom version.

Bottom line: back rev, then connect to google voice or Add Device in Obitalk.

oldunixguy

Trinimd

Can you explain simply how to reverse the Firmware. I got the file from your link.

azrobert

Locally login to your device using it's IP address
The default UserID and password are both "admin"
Click System Management then click Device Update
Under Firmware Update Click Choose File
Find the downloaded file and double click on it
Click Update

If the password has changed
 from the dashboard click the gear ICOM to the right of your device
 use Webpage Admin Password

Taoman

Quote from: oldunixguy on May 04, 2021, 01:02:56 PM

So, the Polycom branded latest FW prevents the adding of the new device in Obitalk and also connecting a new google voice account.
Highly unlikely. I've added more than one OBi2xx device using the latest 5921EX firmware.

Correlation does not imply causation.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on May 07, 2021, 04:53:59 PM
Quote from: oldunixguy on May 04, 2021, 01:02:56 PM

So, the Polycom branded latest FW prevents the adding of the new device in Obitalk and also connecting a new google voice account.
Highly unlikely. I've added more than one OBi2xx device using the latest 5921EX firmware.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Agreed.