News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Updated firmware OBi 200/202/212 devices?

Started by SoNic67, June 15, 2021, 08:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoNic67

After latest disconnect from Google Voice servers, it seems that an updated formware from Poly will be needed:
https://support.google.com/voice/thread/112962833/obi202-will-not-connect-to-gv?msgid=113251887

I wonder if there is any timeline for that update? If there will be one, of course.

Taoman

Quote from: SoNic67 on June 15, 2021, 08:15:22 AM

I wonder if there is any timeline for that update? If there will be one, of course.

That's the question. Last updated firmware was a couple years ago. As SteveInWA has noted, Poly has seemed to lose interest in the consumer side of their business.

It's anyone's guess if we'll ever get updated firmware again from Poly. If using Google Voice, I would have backup routes in place with other ITSPs like Callcentric, Voip.ms, Anveo, Localphone, etc.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on June 15, 2021, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: SoNic67 on June 15, 2021, 08:15:22 AM

That's the question. Last updated firmware was a couple years ago. As SteveInWA has noted, Poly has seemed to lose interest in the consumer side of their business.
There isn't much evidence that Poly has ever had any interest in the consumer side of Obihai.

MSRobi

Quote from: Taoman on June 15, 2021, 09:45:50 AM
It's anyone's guess if we'll ever get updated firmware again from Poly. If using Google Voice, I would have backup routes in place with other ITSPs like Callcentric, Voip.ms, Anveo, Localphone, etc.

I have been considering Callcentric if Poly+GV blow up for good.  But up until now, I just assumed I'd use the Obi202 device and use Callcentric as a Service Provider.

Is that assumption suspect?  Are you looking at other devices as well?

Taoman

Quote from: MSRobi on June 15, 2021, 12:00:36 PM
Are you looking at other devices as well?

There is no need for a new device if you're configuring SIP providers like Callcentric, voip.ms, etc. The current firmware works just fine for that and OBi devices are some of the best ATAs available.

The problem occurs when Google makes a change on their end (like a new/updated cert or new method of authentication) and all OBi devices need new firmware to connect to Google Voice. I question Poly's motivation to release new firmware. I hope I'm wrong.

MSRobi

I think if we see Poly stop selling the devices with "Google Voice" prominently displayed in the front of device we should definitely be worried.  Wouldn't surprise me if it happens judging by how much effort they put in to support  :o

Taoman

Quote from: MSRobi on June 15, 2021, 05:52:46 PM
I think if we see Poly stop selling the devices with "Google Voice" prominently displayed in the front of device we should definitely be worried. 

They're on sale right now at NewEgg for $40 with promo code.

https://www.newegg.com/polycom-2200-4952-001-accessories/p/N82E16833617015?Description=polycom&cm_re=polycom-_-33-617-015-_-Product

BigJim_McD

I bought a new OBi200 from Amazon at noon on Monday, paid $49.99.
I missed out on the NewEgg price but the OBi200 was delivered ~6 hours after I ordered.  
I was replacing an OBi200 that went stone dead Monday morning with a solid RED Led
and wouldn't 'Reset' or do anything.  I had the new OBi200 fully configured and handling
calls by Monday evening.
BigJimMcD

SoNic67

Technically they are selling them as "GV" compatible right now. So they should at least fix the firmware that right now is not adequate.
If they don't want to support the devices anymore, stop selling them as GV compatible. And next GV change will be it...

Andy_Shiekh

And to think the Obi300 firmware is already at

3.2.4 8441

SteveInWA

Quote from: Andy_Shiekh on June 30, 2021, 03:37:51 PM
And to think the Obi300 firmware is already at

3.2.4 8441

Warning:  do NOT install OBi 300 firmware on an OBi 2xx device.

SoNic67

Quote from: uniqaf on June 28, 2021, 04:52:24 PM
https://support.google.com/voice/thread/114914789/important-information-for-poly-obitalk-consumer-device-use-with-google-voice

Thank you! Hopefully the firmware will come sooner than later, as I don't think that replacing the certificate is such a big change!
I see that for those devices, the last update was in March 2019.

SteveInWA

Quote from: SoNic67 on July 10, 2021, 05:04:05 PM
Quote from: uniqaf on June 28, 2021, 04:52:24 PM
https://support.google.com/voice/thread/114914789/important-information-for-poly-obitalk-consumer-device-use-with-google-voice

Thank you! Hopefully the firmware will come sooner than later, as I don't think that replacing the certificate is such a big change!
I see that for those devices, the last update was in March 2019.

From a software-writing standpoint, no; it would be easy.  The yet-to-be-determined issue is whether or not Poly chooses to do so. 

The non-trivial part would be distributing the update(s) via a combination of pushing to devices that are enabled for remote updates, posting links for manual downloads of the firmware, and dealing with the thousands of people who have disabled updates without understanding what they've done, and then ranting and raging.  It's going to be a shit-storm.

Remember:  Google has no role in doing any of that.

When I have any updates to share, I will update my announcement, here:

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/114914789

grimzly

If the majority of consumers with the affected models of OBI are using them w/ GV, seems Poly will release an update. Anyone who noticed the recent outage likely has enough tech savvy in them to apply it imho.

That said, I suppose there are a number of people using this configuration where a neighbor/friend set it up and it not end up such a trivial thing for them.

MSRobi

It is possible that anybody at Polycom that knew how to maintain the firmware has left the company.  There are plenty of signs that Polycom does not care very much about the consumer side of their business.

As a backup, I'm hoping a 3rd party can make the firmware change...I see a website obifirmware.com that is still running, I hope those people are still around and are able to do the firmware update if Polycom doesn't come through.

SteveInWA

Quote from: MSRobi on July 14, 2021, 04:26:30 PM
It is possible that anybody at Polycom that knew how to maintain the firmware has left the company.  There are plenty of signs that Polycom does not care very much about the consumer side of their business.

As a backup, I'm hoping a 3rd party can make the firmware change...I see a website obifirmware.com that is still running, I hope those people are still around and are able to do the firmware update if Polycom doesn't come through.

Jeezus, would you please stop spamming the forum with rumors/theories/guesses/speculation?

Poly is developing updated firmware.  The details of how and when it'll be released is TBD.

MSRobi

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 14, 2021, 06:04:59 PM
Jeezus, would you please stop spamming the forum with rumors/theories/guesses/speculation?

Poly is developing updated firmware.

This is your first concrete mention of this fact anywhere on this forum.  Even in this topic as recent as July 10th, you wrote:

"The yet-to-be-determined issue is whether or not Poly chooses to do so."

which isn't very confidence inspiring.  That is why I "spam" the forum, as you say.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 10, 2021, 05:16:29 PM
The non-trivial part would be distributing the update(s) via a combination of pushing to devices that are enabled for remote updates, posting links for manual downloads of the firmware, and dealing with the thousands of people who have disabled updates without understanding what they've done, and then ranting and raging.  It's going to be a shit-storm.

Don't forget the non-zero number of customers whose OBi's will fail the firmware update and/or the reboot (the flash programming fails, the power supply is right at the edge such that a reboot pushes it over, etc.).

"The firmware bricked my OBi!" will be the new rant of the day.

I wonder if Poly has a canary deployment process as part of their firmware pushes so that the thundering herd issue can at least be mitigated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: MSRobi on July 15, 2021, 07:44:05 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 14, 2021, 06:04:59 PM

Poly is developing updated firmware.

This is your first concrete mention of this fact anywhere on this forum.  Even in this topic as recent as July 10th, you wrote:

"The yet-to-be-determined issue is whether or not Poly chooses to do so."

which isn't very confidence inspiring.  That is why I "spam" the forum, as you say.

If you actually read my announcement on the Google Voice Help Community, then you wouldn't be posting these idiotic comments.  It says, right there in my post:  

Poly is working on a new firmware release.  Hopefully, Poly will attempt to automatically update all devices that have not been disabled for remote, automatic updates.  Devices that can't be updated automatically will need the user to manually download the new firmware and update the device themselves.

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/114914789