News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi2182 w/ Google Voice Working Again After Update; But Disconnects Periodically

Started by WA-Obi2182, August 10, 2021, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA-Obi2182

Since perhaps 3 weeks ago I have had ongoing issues with my Obi2182 using Google Voice, which had functioned properly for the preceding 12+/- months.  Long story short, after the 8/5 firmware update it will work again, but the connection consistently drops and requires cycling the device and reestablishing the GV connection as SP1.  I'll provide more information below.  If someone has an idea of what might be the issue and how it might be remedied I'd appreciate knowing.  Thanks.

The issue first presented with no connectivity whatsoever and an orange SP status indictor display. This lasted through the 8/5/21 firmware update, despite attempting to reestablish GV as Service Provider 1, restart the unit, network sequential restarts, and other troubleshooting efforts.  I reviewed forum posts on point and understood that GV created a temporary fix, however this did not change my system's status.  I then waited for the 8/5 update.

The morning following the scheduled 8/5 update, I cold restarted the phone and went through the process of reestablishing GV as SP1 , which resulted in a working connection.  However, since that date the connection continues to periodically fail – multiple times daily - resulting in an orange SP status indictor display, active calls going silent, no ability to make calls, etc.  The SP1 status in the online dashboard also reflects an "offline" status.

Cold-restarting the phone and reestablishing GV as SP1 temporarily corrects the issue, but not for long. 
Some other information:

1.   Most commonly, when I try to access the device's local web-page using Chrome, a connection cannot be established.  A timeout is indicated "[IP] took too long to respond."

2.   When a connection can be made, it usually terminates very soon after.

3.   I was able to confirm the SoftwareVersion shows as 6.2.3 (Build: 4907.1311), suggesting the 8/5 update was installed.

4.   Network troubleshooter has indicated the device is detected, but not responding.

5.   The device is physically connecter to my router.

drgeoff

I assume your final sentence means connected by ethernet cable. Have you tried another cable and another port on the router?

Any problem accessing the onboard web server from a computer on the same LAN cannot be caused by GV or by the internet connection from router to your ISP.

WA-Obi2182

Quote from: drgeoff on August 10, 2021, 02:49:34 PM
I assume your final sentence means connected by ethernet cable. Have you tried another cable and another port on the router?

Any problem accessing the onboard web server from a computer on the same LAN cannot be caused by GV or by the internet connection from router to your ISP.

Thanks for your response.  I have tried multiple ports of the router and ethernet cables between the device and the router and it certainly makes sense that the issue lies within the LAN, devices and software/firmware.  I'm not aware that the current problem ever occurred prior to the 8/5 GV related firmware update, so I consider the update a prime candidate for cause - especially as I'm not aware of any other changes to the system from when it previously functioned properly.

If it is something else, I don't know what to suspect based on the current behaviour.  It has occurred to me to manually run the firmware update again, but I can't access the device through the local web page  without interruption for a long enough time to do so.

drgeoff

Quote from: WA-Obi2182 on August 11, 2021, 12:08:40 PM
It has occurred to me to manually run the firmware update again, but I can't access the device through the local web page  without interruption for a long enough time to do so.
Something very wrong there.

Have you tried a Wi-Fi connection to the router, if only to see if the ethernet link is the problem or if it is further into the gubbins?

WA-Obi2182

Quote from: drgeoff on August 11, 2021, 01:18:30 PM
Quote from: WA-Obi2182 on August 11, 2021, 12:08:40 PM
It has occurred to me to manually run the firmware update again, but I can't access the device through the local web page  without interruption for a long enough time to do so.
Something very wrong there.

Have you tried a Wi-Fi connection to the router, if only to see if the ethernet link is the problem or if it is further into the gubbins?

Thanks again for your help, drgeoff.  I had a breakthrough and this may be fixed, now.  

What happened is this.  Yesterday the phone stopped working completely and I couldn't establish a connection, even temporarily.  After a reboot of router, computer, and phone, an "alert" icon (yellow triangle with "!") appear on the connection line in the dashboard - there hadn't been an alert notification previously, even after sequential restarts.  Clicking the alert icon informed me that a new firmware update was required (despite that the local web page showed I was current through the 8/5/21 update).  This time I disconnected the Ethernet connection between phone and router and set up a wireless connection (as you suggested trying) and ran the update through the wireless connection.  

I don't know whether it was the wireless connection (versus a perhaps faulty wired connection, though this didn't seem to be the case after trying multiple ports and cables) that made the difference or simply that the system finally "realized" that the original update didn't install properly, hence the alert icon, but the update appears to have successfully taken and the phone has been operational on the wifi connection since yesterday.  I'm curious to try reverting to a wired connection now to see if that works properly now, but after 3 weeks of not having an office line and messing around with troubleshooting I have a stronger feeling of not fixing what isn't broke.  At least for the time being.

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to troubleshoot with me.  I'm hopeful this issue is fully resolved.