News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I can't get web portal to work??

Started by Rozic, April 25, 2012, 01:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rozic

I just got the Obi202, and set it up with google voice and that all works perfect...but i wanted to go to the ip address to see if I need to change anything, but it just says "The requested URL was not found!"?  I dialed ***1 and I triple checked the IP address and tried several times, but for some reason it won't work.  Any ideas?

I can get to my routers IP just fine, but just not the Obi202.  I even checked to see if there was an update in case this was a problem, but not yet.

Thanks for your time.

jimates

It should access ok.
Make sure you are hearing all the numbers. Often the last number of the address sort of runs in with the next statement.
Example: 1 9 2 . 1 6 8 . 1 . 1 0  4your DHCP........

Stewart

Possibly, WAN side access is disabled (that may be the default for OBi202).  Use IVR option 30 to enable it.  See page 27 of http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf .

jimates

OT
Stewart, I just posted for some provider recommendations and I know you have a list.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3109.0

Thanks, Jim

Rozic

Thanks Stewart!!  That was it...its weird it is not automatically enabled.  Not in the instructions and would have been hard to know it was online only in a "OBi Device Administration Guide" which is "189" pages...lol.

Thank you very much for the quick responses...your guys are awesome!!

ckamas

from the admin manual, to save others the hassle of finding this info:

When the device is operating in router mode (OBi202/OBi302 only), the built-in web server may be accessed from the LAN
side or the WAN side. While access from the LAN side is always allowed, for security reasons, the access from the WAN side
may be disabled by configuration. In fact, the WAN side access to the web server is disabled by default. You can enable this
option on the device web page (from the LAN side), or by using the device configuration IVR (* * * 0 option 30) from an
attached telephone.

ProfTech

Quote from: ckamas on August 25, 2021, 03:20:09 PM
from the admin manual, to save others the hassle of finding this info:

When the device is operating in router mode (OBi202/OBi302 only), the built-in web server may be accessed from the LAN side or the WAN side. While access from the LAN side is always allowed, for security reasons, the access from the WAN side may be disabled by configuration. In fact, the WAN side access to the web server is disabled by default. You can enable this option on the device web page (from the LAN side), or by using the device configuration IVR (* * * 0 option 30) from an attached telephone.

I've casually glanced at some of the other posts about this and ignored it because I profess, I don't own a 202. But this problem sounds fishy to me. I'm assuming the 202 in the router mode has 2 or maybe more ethernet ports. I'm also assuming one of them will be dedicated as "wan" and the rest become "lan" ports. This brings up a question; The router mode should only be used if you are using a single port internet gateway and you still want to connect a computer. The "wan" port of the Obi should plug into your gateway [remember, it only has one port] and you would plug your computer into the "lan" port on the 202. Hence, you never "connect to the wan port" using your browser.

2. If you have a standard internet gateway [usually supplied by you internet provider] they usually have 4 "lan" ports and you connect your 202 into one of them. In this configuration you should not be running the Obi in the router mode because you actually have 2 routers back-to-back and it can cause many nasty problems with voip phone service. I know because I tried it for about a month.

SteveInWA

I've casually glanced at some of the other posts about this and ignored it because I profess, I don't own a 202. But this problem sounds fishy to me. I'm assuming the 202 in the router mode has 2 or maybe more ethernet ports. I'm also assuming one of them will be dedicated as "wan" and the rest become "lan" ports. This brings up a question; The router mode should only be used if you are using a single port internet gateway and you still want to connect a computer. The "wan" port of the Obi should plug into your gateway [remember, it only has one port] and you would plug your computer into the "lan" port on the 202. Hence, you never "connect to the wan port" using your browser.

The problem is, unlike you, most people have been conditioned by decades of using home routers, to plug the "WAN" port into the upstream device (cable modem or whatever).  If that's the only connection, you are accessing the device's embedded web server "remotely" through its WAN port.  Most users don't know that you can disable the device's router and operate it in bridge mode, in which case the WAN port becomes a LAN port, just like the LAN jack on the back of the OBi 202.

If a user, in fact, plugs a computer into the LAN port and the OBi's WAN port is connected to an upstream router or modem, then yes, it will be able to access the embedded web server regardless, but that isn't the most common use case.

drgeoff

Quote from: ProfTech on August 27, 2021, 04:05:18 AM..you should not be running the Obi in the router mode because you actually have 2 routers back-to-back and it can cause many nasty problems with voip phone service.
Not necessarily.

I have a distant OBi100 working fine behind two routers for years without having to do anything special.  Only the local router is under accessible for user configuration.  Its WAN IP is a 10.x.x.x number which indicates that the ISP (a cable TV system) also has a router.  Carrier Grade NAT.

ProfTech

Quote from: drgeoff on August 27, 2021, 12:12:10 PM
I have a distant OBi100 working fine behind two routers for years without having to do anything special.  Only the local router is under accessible for user configuration.  Its WAN IP is a 10.x.x.x number which indicates that the ISP (a cable TV system) also has a router.  Carrier Grade NAT.

No argument here. I'm sure it depends on the router(s) involved. In my case, I even tried putting the second router into the DMZ of the first router [as suggested many places] and still no go. The second router was still getting a local IP which indicated the first was still running NAT. Had to put the first one in the bridge mode to get voip to work at all times.