News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recent change in Nomorobo or CC call treatment behaviors?

Started by Tooth, August 27, 2021, 02:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tooth

First, thanks for everyone's contributions to this forum! I've referenced this forum extensively in the past to successfully configure my Obi200 with a GV and CallCentric accounts.

To thwart robocalls, I followed the advice here to set up a hunt group call treatment in my CC account where the first destination in the hunt group is Nomorobo via SIP BROKER (ring for 5 seconds) and the second destination is my CC extension. This has been working great for a few years now, but just recently all inbound robocalls now result in a single ring on my home phone before Nomorobo shuts it down. This didn't used to be the case. Previously, Nomorobo would intercept the robocall and my home phone would never ring.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tinkered with my call treatment settings but I can't seem to figure out why this has suddenly started happening.

Any help is appreciated!

Taoman

Please post the exact SIP Broker string you are using on Callcentric in your call treatment.

Also, check out the following thread. Pay attention to the last post. It works.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18432.0

Tooth

The first destination in my Nomorobo hunt group forwards to **275*18776593620 (Vonage). The second destination to my CC extension. The hunt group for Nomorobo is last in my list of call treatments.

Tooth

Reading the last post of the thread that you referenced, I should modify my SIP broker forwarding to **275*1008518776593620?

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on August 28, 2021, 11:37:22 AM
Reading the last post of the thread that you referenced, I should modify my SIP broker forwarding to **275*1008518776593620?

Yes, but you will be using alcazarnetworks.com via SIP Broker.

Tooth

Thanks for your help!

I changed my Nomorobo hunt group forwarding number to "18776593620@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com". It still fails the Nomorobo calling test but maybe I shouldn't care? I guess I'll know soon if I've set it up correctly -- when the next robocaller attacks again.

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on August 28, 2021, 12:19:22 PM
Well, evidently I don't have it set up correctly yet because I just now got a robocall.
But are you sure the robocall was in Nomorobo's database? What was the number?

Tooth

Thanks for the help, Taoman.

As usual, it was a user error (me). For any others interested:  My solution was to modify my hunt group to "**275*1008518776593620" and it passes the Nomorobo call test.

When the test failed earlier, I think I had pulled the trigger on the test too soon.

Cheers!

Tooth

It seems that Nomorobo hasn't been blocking known robocalls for me recently. Here is a summary my configuration:

1) Google Voice home number configured on Obihai device which forwards to my CallCentric number.
2) Multiple call treatments set up in Callcentric account to thwart robocalls.
3) One of my call treatments is a Nomorobo "hunting" call treatment which first sends calls to "18776593620@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com" and rings for 5 seconds, then sends to my Callcentric extension.

I just got a robocall which rang into the house. I confirmed that it is a robocall number which exists in the Nomorobo database (https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/551-299-7667) but Nomorobo didn't block it?

Anyone else experiencing this? Or is there something wrong with the way I've set up my Nomorobo call treatment?

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on September 30, 2021, 01:39:38 PM

2) Multiple call treatments set up in Callcentric account to thwart robocalls.

Or is there something wrong with the way I've set up my Nomorobo call treatment?

I tested that number and Nomorobo stopped it every time on Callcentric.

If I had to guess, I'd say the incoming call is never hitting your Nomorobo call treatment. Some other call treatment is probably intercepting the call first.

In your call hunting call treatment, replace 18776593620@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com with **275*1008518776593620. That way you can look in the Callcentric call history and see if Nomorobo was really queried or not. If it was, you will see an entry that says "Callcentric peering" in the far right column labeled "Destination." This is an indication that the call was sent to Nomorobo via SIP Broker who Callcentric peers with.

Tooth

I took your advice and changed my call hunting call treatment to **275*1008518776593620. However, I continue to get robocalls from numbers that are known by the Nomorobo website. Here's the latest example: https://nomorobo.com/lookup/2524019752.

When I look in my Callcentric call history, I can see that Nomorobo was queried via Callcentric peering. I've attached a screenshot for illustration. Not sure what's going on, because I've never had any trouble with my configuration until just recently.

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on October 05, 2021, 08:58:38 AM
I took your advice and changed my call hunting call treatment to **275*1008518776593620. However, I continue to get robocalls from numbers that are known by the Nomorobo website. Here's the latest example: https://nomorobo.com/lookup/2524019752.

When I look in my Callcentric call history, I can see that Nomorobo was queried via Callcentric peering. I've attached a screenshot for illustration. Not sure what's going on, because I've never had any trouble with my configuration until just recently.

Don't know what to tell ya. I tried the same number and got the same results. I then changed **275*1008518776593620 to 1866732XXXX@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com and it worked. Nomorobo stopped the call.

Try changing it back to number@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com and see if it works now.

Edit: Are you able to spoof a robo number to test it?

Tooth

Quote from: Taoman on October 05, 2021, 10:51:16 AM
Don't know what to tell ya. I tried the same number and got the same results. I then changed **275*1008518776593620 to 1866732XXXX@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com and it worked. Nomorobo stopped the call.

Try changing it back to number@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com and see if it works now.

Edit: Are you able to spoof a robo number to test it?

I changed it back to 18776593620@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com but I can't spoof a number to test it. I'll just have to wait for the next robocall to find out. I'll report back.

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on October 05, 2021, 03:44:46 PM
but I can't spoof a number to test it. I'll just have to wait for the next robocall to find out. I'll report back.

I can spoof a robo number so if desired you could PM me your Callcentric number and I could call it with the spoofed robo number. You will probably get an error message when trying to PM me but it supposedly does get delivered.

But if you don't feel comfortable sending me your CC number I certainly understand. You can just wait for the next robo call to see what happens.

I don't understand why **275*1008518776593620 apparently stopped working. It was working fine for me for quite awhile.

Edit: I just called Walmart's 800 number using Callcentric's Click-2-dial feature and it worked fine. And the string I used was **275*1008518009256278. So **275*10085 is still working on Callcentric to some extent.

Tooth

Quote from: Taoman on October 06, 2021, 06:14:11 AM
I can spoof a robo number so if desired you could PM me your Callcentric number and I could call it with the spoofed robo number. You will probably get an error message when trying to PM me but it supposedly does get delivered.

Thanks, Taoman! PM sent.

Taoman

Quote from: Tooth on October 08, 2021, 10:33:40 AM

Thanks, Taoman! PM sent.

Called at 12:08 PDT using 2524019752 as the CID and the call was intercepted and blocked by Nomorobo. So it seems to be working as expected.

Tooth

Quote from: Taoman on October 08, 2021, 12:12:40 PM
Called at 12:08 PDT using 2524019752 as the CID and the call was intercepted and blocked by Nomorobo. So it seems to be working as expected.

Thanks again!

I can see your incoming spoof call in my CC call history and can also confirm that my home phone didn't ring. So I guess the conclusion here is that the use of call peering (**275*10085+1800number) using tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com just isn't working as expected?