News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

NO ringback on outgoing calls obi200 with Google Voice

Started by drjulian, September 04, 2021, 03:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlos1939

Yeah, thanks

I tried this same procedure just for kicks - with the same failed results. Details about the actual GV account itself must be kept in the Obitalk database, with some level of corruption. I'm thinking a purge of that data will be required to fix this. I also have a ticket in and will try to talk to them this week.

Hardware seems pretty good - software needs work.

musk

I am still have the ringback issue, but after experimenting noticed I get ringback on some numbers.  When I called a l limited sample of  ATT and Verizon cell phones I do not hear a ringback via my obi200, however when I contact non-cell phones (i.e. landline and business) I do get a ringback tone.   In all cases when I make calls using GV, I get a ringback tone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drjulian on September 06, 2021, 10:43:12 AM
Quote from: rlos1939 on September 06, 2021, 08:54:13 AM
Folks, I have this same experience currently (no ringback on outgoing calls) but believe I may understand the catalyst - although not the solution. When I first set up the Obi200 with my GV account (actually my dad's GV account), it appeared to work correctly - with the exception of the lack of ringback. However, I subsequently found that his Google password had been changed and was unknown to him. So, the Google login to the Obitalk site was using cached credentials (and maybe not really authenticating against Google). I've since fixed his password and flushed browser cache and can use other Google services including GV without issue. I then deleted the Obi from his Obitalk confit, factory reset the device and started over. Once set up again, the unit worked fine EXCEPT STILL NO ringback on outgoing calls.
Ok, so, I did a full remove again and factory reset (device is on newest August firmware) and this time set the unit up on MY GV account (different Google account) and the phone then worked 100% correctly including audible ringback.
So, I did it one more time and still ended up with the lack of ringback on original account. I also did the steps recommended above by just switching Gmail accounts using that Replace link with same results (works for my account, no ringback for dad's)
So, I'm convinced that this corruption is tied to my dad's Obitalk account from the very first configuration. So, my next step is to find out how to DELETE his account from the Obitalk system and start from scratch. I would think that this would be easy...
Looking for ideas.

More information on this idea: I created an entirely new obitalk account NOT using google log in, but email and  password instead. I deleted my device from my account, did a factory reset and set up the device as if I just received it on the new account. I also used a totally new GV account (since mine had been suspended apparently for transferring the number too many times).

My thinking in doing this is that a new non-google login account to obitalk should rule out corruption in the automatic google log in.

Regardless, I was STILL UNABLE TO RECEIVE A RINGBACK.

Hope this adds more information to the puzzle. I also have a ticket opened with poly support and they are "looking into the problem" ...

Also I agree with SteveINWA, and advise anyone who is having a problem to open a ticket at poly support, that may help them find the problem sooner if that have several examples of the failure.

Wow, that is really strange.  The bug is not hardware related, because you swapped hardware.  It's not location/LAN/ISP related, since you tested at a different location.  It may or may not be Google account-related, since you were unable to test the new/temporary number after transferring it to your account.

This does "smell like" a firmware bug, since it coincides with the recent firmware update, but Poly needs to sort it out.

I'm really sorry to hear that your accounts were suspended.  Do you mean that you literally received an email note from Google telling you that the service is suspended, and/or do you see an error page that the service is suspended when you go to the Google Voice website?  If not, the block may reset automatically.  If you did receive a suspension notice, click the "Contact us" link in the note, and explain what happened (transferring back and forth to troubleshoot a service problem), and they would likely restore your service.

drjulian

Wow, that is really strange.  The bug is not hardware related, because you swapped hardware.  It's not location/LAN/ISP related, since you tested at a different location.  It may or may not be Google account-related, since you were unable to test the new/temporary number after transferring it to your account.

This does "smell like" a firmware bug, since it coincides with the recent firmware update, but Poly needs to sort it out.

I'm really sorry to hear that your accounts were suspended.  Do you mean that you literally received an email note from Google telling you that the service is suspended, and/or do you see an error page that the service is suspended when you go to the Google Voice website?  If not, the block may reset automatically.  If you did receive a suspension notice, click the "Contact us" link in the note, and explain what happened (transferring back and forth to troubleshoot a service problem), and they would likely restore your service.

It was the actual suspension notice page (see attached capture). I have appealed with the explanation re diagnosing a problem so I will let you know if it is restored. In the meantime I have assigned my wife's voice account phone to the obitalk (still no ringback) so poly support can test it if they need to since I have an open ticket with them. With over 500 views of this post it is clear many are experiencing the problem so hopefully poly will find the bug...and hopefully google will restore my access.

rlos1939

I spoke with Poly/Obi support this morning on this issue and came away with little satisfaction. The tech recommended I open a ticket with Google as he claimed it would not be on the Obi end. I suspect folks buying Obi devices now are throwing dice on whether or not they will have this issue with their GV accounts. I have one that works fine and one that doesn't...

rlos1939

Quote from: musk on September 06, 2021, 02:35:06 PM
I am still have the ringback issue, but after experimenting noticed I get ringback on some numbers.  When I called a l limited sample of  ATT and Verizon cell phones I do not hear a ringback via my obi200, however when I contact non-cell phones (i.e. landline and business) I do get a ringback tone.   In all cases when I make calls using GV, I get a ringback tone.

Following up on Musk's comments, I too did more experiments with different numbers across landlines, cell and biz systems with the following results.

For the "sick" GV account, I was only able to get ringback on a couple of targets. When calling an AT&T iPhone, I heard ringback only when I added the 1- to the 10 digit number. When calling an office phone system (AT&T and Avaya), I heard ringback with both the 10 and 11 digit numbers. I heard no ringback when calling other cells (Boost), other landlines (Xfinity) or other GV numbers.

With the healthy GV account, I heard ringback on all numbers dialed (same set).

BOTH of the GV numbers that I'm using were ports of old landline numbers (hopping through a cell on the way). I'm wondering if the pedigree of one or the other could have anything to do with this.

musk

I am able to make calls today, all of which I now hear a ringback using my OBI200 with GV.   I have 2 OBI200 units (bought within the last week) and both were having issues aligned with 2 different GV accounts with respect to ringback as of yesterday.  Today (as of late afternoon), I now head ringback on all numbers dialed on both devices.   

drjulian

MORE INFORMATION AND ANOTHER HYPOTHESIS:

First off, Google kindly restored my access to my voice account, realizing that I was not up to anything untoward.

Also I got to thinking about commonalities in my diagnostic attempts, and I realized that all of the numbers I linked to my obitalk device when I was testing were from the same area code. When I originally set it up I wanted a number in my area code. Anyway I decided to try something different. I created a new GV account and this time I choose a different area code and suddenly I started getting a ringback. Of course this is not a guarantee, but maybe another piece of the puzzle or an avenue for testing.

Also, there is a site called numberbarn where for $6 a month you can park your number and forward it to any number you wish. This way I was able to park my original land line number and then forward it to my GV number so now when anyone calls my original land line it will ring on the phone attached to the obitalk device and I am no longer paying $50 monthly for the land line, which was my goal when I stared down this road.

I realize this will not be a solution for everyone and I am not sure that changing the area code was the solution, however this scenario worked for me.

MSRobi

Quote from: musk on September 07, 2021, 04:53:57 PM
I am able to make calls today, all of which I now hear a ringback using my OBI200 with GV.   I have 2 OBI200 units (bought within the last week) and both were having issues aligned with 2 different GV accounts with respect to ringback as of yesterday.  Today (as of late afternoon), I now head ringback on all numbers dialed on both devices.   

Did you do any configuring or changing anything in the meantime or are you stating that ringback just suddenly started working for you?

musk

I  did not change anything in the configuration.   After checking late afternoon today, I am getting ring back on all numbers called (with 2 different units).

drjulian

After reading the last post, I tried ALL my GV number on the obitalk device and now I DO receive a ringback on ALL numbers.

Perhaps Poly tech support made some change on their servers?

drgeoff

Quote from: drjulian on September 07, 2021, 06:05:27 PM
After reading the last post, I tried ALL my GV number on the obitalk device and now I DO receive a ringback on ALL numbers.

Perhaps Poly tech support made some change on their servers?

Except for OBi to OBi calls over the Obitalk network (**9 and 9 digit OBi number), nothing on the Poly servers has any impact on any calls in or out of your OBi over any Service Provider including Google Voice.  All call set up data and voice data is strictly between your OBi and the relevant Service Provider.  No server or network infrastructure operated by or on behalf of OBihai/Poly is involved.

drjulian

Except for OBi to OBi calls over the Obitalk network (**9 and 9 digit OBi number), nothing on the Poly servers has any impact on any calls in or out of your OBi over any Service Provider including Google Voice.  All call set up data and voice data is strictly between your OBi and the relevant Service Provider.  No server or network infrastructure operated by or on behalf of OBihai/Poly is involved.

Interesting,
I did not change any configuration and yet suddenly the ringback worked on all outgoing calls where it hadn't before. Maybe a change at GV?
Whatever or wherever it was, at least it is working for now.

rlos1939

It also started working for me late afternoon (EST) yesterday without the need for any adjustments,etc.

SteveInWA

Hmm.  Perhaps it had been reported to Google Voice engineering, or they discovered the issue themselves and fixed it.  I'm glad to hear it's working now.

fbramante

Just for the record, this problem is suddenly resolved for me as well.  No changes were made to the Obi config.

Taoman

Interestingly enough, I no longer hear ringback tone on outbound GV calls thru the OBi. The calls connect as expected but there is no ringback tone.
Calling same numbers thru OBi using other VoIP providers and I do hear ringback tone.

Calling the same number(s) using the GV app on my smartphone and I do hear ringback tone.